Earsonics SM3 Appreciation Thread - Third Time is a Charm?
Jan 29, 2011 at 5:37 AM Post #514 of 1,687
I honestly wouldn't do it unless I'm a treblehead, because it'll probably make the mids a bit recessed. The treble is already in equal proportion to the middle-to-upper mids, imo. I guarantee that if you tone down the lower frequencies, treble will naturally go weeee without making the midrange sound recessed.

Jan 29, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #515 of 1,687
The filter removal is a "well-known" mod here. However, there is a need to replace the original filter with the right amount of low density foam in order to get a "good" sound, otherwise, they sound too harsh.
However, I've been listening to them with the green filters removed and replaced with some foam, and I managed to get a perfect balance now. The bass remains untouched, the upper mids are brought forward as well as the treble (a bit). And as the recessed upper mids was my main concern with the SM3, they sound about as good as they can now, for me anyway :D

Jan 29, 2011 at 9:29 AM Post #516 of 1,687
Give the Headfier IEMs with filters and he'll remove them.. Seen it years ago with Etys, seeing it now it SM3s

Jan 29, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #517 of 1,687
i have been using westones,shures and etymotic's for years...i decided to try out the new sm3's....for whatever reason they do not do it for me....i am sending them back,cant put my finger on it but I just didnt warm up to them at all.....

Jan 29, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #518 of 1,687
Hi photofan, With the filters removed, dont get the lower mids recessed now. I listen a lot to roxette and I do suppose roxettes frontman Per Gessles voice would be called low so in the low mids and he sounds recessed to me. Also, Are those filters really there to alter the sound or arent they there too to prevent earwax from getting in? Greetings, Anouk,

Jan 29, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #519 of 1,687
Well, you'll loose a bit of warmth, that's for sure, but in my experience, it's a  good thing.
And yes, the filters really change the sound, quite a bit in fact.
But I insist that if the green filters are removed, they need to be replaced with some low density foam in order to get rid of the harsh highs.

Jan 29, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #521 of 1,687

Quote:
Can't...stop...listening! Damnit, I have to sleep. Have work tomorrow. Someone please instruct me on how to take these things out of my ears, because I can't muster the will to do it!

Lol , i have the same problem ,often finding myself still listening to music through these at 4-5am when i have to be up at 8am for work 
popcorn.gif

Jan 29, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #522 of 1,687
i, Again doing my evening listen with iems, I mostly use iems when I are either not at home or when I want to do some real listening to music (as opposed to background listening). I really notice that for me if I turn the volume up a bit the midrange of the sm3 seems to come forward, and for me into its own. This means though that I am listening to higher volume levels then normal, although I dont think that they are dangerous levels. I think that with these iems I might have a better view into what a life performance of a band would be like. Greetings, Anouk,

Jan 29, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #523 of 1,687
Anouk-
I agree with you that they really do seem to improve to a whole different level if you just turn up the volume some. The sound seems to get more full, and 'blooms' so to speak. However since I don't have any problem with the midrange, I don't notice it coming into its own any more than the rest of the range. But I do hear that growing of the sound field as you describe.

I hope things continue to improve for you with the SM3s... they're great IEMs. 

Cheers.

Jan 30, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #525 of 1,687
I don't doubt it-- different listening methods/levels work for some and not others...  Anyway, I didn't mean ear splitting loudness at all, just a healthily enjoyable listening level. For me they are better like that than at low volumes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back