Earsonics SM3 Appreciation Thread - Third Time is a Charm?
Jan 30, 2011 at 5:14 AM Post #526 of 1,687

Quote:
Quote:
Can't...stop...listening! Damnit, I have to sleep. Have work tomorrow. Someone please instruct me on how to take these things out of my ears, because I can't muster the will to do it!

Lol , i have the same problem ,often finding myself still listening to music through these at 4-5am when i have to be up at 8am for work 
popcorn.gif

Haha, I experience exactly the same, often waking up from a half-sleep to notice that the early morning is there and that I still haven't slept properly! :D Damn SM3
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #530 of 1,687

Quote:
The only thing holding me back seriously considering getting a pair of these is the comfort level. Are they comfortable enough for long-term listening sessions, hours on end?

I think that's just something you'll have to see for yourself buy actually using it. Some IEMs that have been known for being comfortable for most people are not so for others. Some figure a way to work around the problem, while others just move on to other IEMs.

Jan 30, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #532 of 1,687

Quote:
i, Again doing my evening listen with iems, I mostly use iems when I are either not at home or when I want to do some real listening to music (as opposed to background listening). I really notice that for me if I turn the volume up a bit the midrange of the sm3 seems to come forward, and for me into its own. This means though that I am listening to higher volume levels then normal, although I dont think that they are dangerous levels. I think that with these iems I might have a better view into what a life performance of a band would be like. Greetings, Anouk,

http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/ear_sensitivity.htm
This here is why you experience the sm3 better at higher volume. I didn't detect this, because I've been using EQ the whole time; that's why raising the volume didn't do anything for me. lol Going back to no EQ, yes, raising the volume does bring more forward all the good stuff. Going to stick to my EQ, cause that works better... and I get to keep my hearing ability.

Jan 30, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #535 of 1,687
I just spent a couple hours today at the auto show in town, and I took my Sony X1060 & SM3s with me to put through an isolation test at the venue. Man, the combo performed brilliantly! I had total fidelity in that noisy environment, and I didn't have to endure any of the inane drivel from the 'announcers' or 'natives' from this area!! 

Totally freaking brilliant to be walking around the new Bugatti Super Sport and not have to hear the lame comments of others around me. 

Jan 30, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #536 of 1,687
@tigon I dont turn them up ALL that loud. My normal volume listening is rather low to begin with. @mailliw I am not sure how comfotable the sm3 would be for you, it heavily depends on the shape and size of your ear. The upper part of the sm3 is rather large, i wear them sticking a bit of my ear (there is only one way to wear them so no cunfusion with left and right, you have to wear them with the cable hanging over the ear) if I would have the upper part flush with my earlobe it would hurt a lot. I also find them to sound better this way but your situation may be different. Greetings, Anouk,

Jan 31, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #537 of 1,687

Quote:
The only thing holding me back seriously considering getting a pair of these is the comfort level. Are they comfortable enough for long-term listening sessions, hours on end?

As others have mentioned, these are comfortable enough to sleep with. I believe my longest listening session was ~7 hours (without any discomfort).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back