DUNU DK-4001 --- Discussion & Impressions Thread
May 14, 2019 at 8:41 AM Post #166 of 391
Its fantastic. Review hopefully out by the weekend.

May 14, 2019 at 8:45 AM Post #167 of 391
Its fantastic. Review hopefully out by the weekend.

Bought these a little while back and have been slowly working through the review (too much other stuff going on at the moment). Funnily enough, one of the first things I thought is the they would be right up your alley sound-wise! :wink:

Very nice sounding IEMs.

May 14, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #168 of 391
Finally. I found perfect damping material to 4001 slightly unrealistic, bit sharp (not sibilant) upper mid and lower highs. It was really annoying me a lot. First was changing cables like pure copper or pure silver. Nothing worked. Finally the face mask that we doctors use, the lower most white layer worked.i used double of the lower white layer as triple layering caused too much damping. Now 3D imaging became more realistic and highs balanced with rest of frequencies. Im really enjoying how its sounds now. Try this. I think you guys will be shocked. Attached image below.

Had them for a month or so now and 4001 are almost ideal for my preferences but I have to agree, find this upper mid/treble area a bit unbalanced (though for me I do not mind the overal balance of the IEM). Close to a fatal flaw IMO, certain string instruments in particular (and some brass) have a tendency to sound extra 'crispy' and a bit pinched off in the body. Will have to try your mod or some micropore tape perhaps.

Last edited:
May 14, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #169 of 391
I've been crazy busy recently, so I haven't had much time to get into contact with DUNU.

The 'Noble' cable is going to be exciting for a lot of people I think, more so than the Hulk cable.

Meanwhile, I'm still finding the DK-4001 an immensely satisfying listen. It's very well-rounded.

In other news, I saw a peculiar tease on Chinese social media on the 'DK-3001 PRO'...

DK-3001PRO.jpg

It's all in Simplified Chinese, so my interpretation skills are limited, but I looks like the model specifications are different from the 'DK-3001 Mk. II' that DUNU told me about back in December. This model seems to be a 5-driver model, and has a high-purity OCC copper cable with interchangeable plugs, as well as the newer generation less swively MMCX plugs, just like the DK-4001. From the description, and it might just be because my Chinese isn't up to par, but it's unclear what kind of dynamic driver they're installing with the DK-3001 PRO. Looks like the pricing is similar to that of the original DK-3001 at less than $500, and will be released to market in June (at least in China).

It's confusing, because wouldn't this model cannibalize sales of the DK-4001? And how are they offering these features at half the price of the DK-4001? Where are we going to see the differences between the 3001 PRO and 4001? I'm going to have to ask @DUNU-Topsound about this development... it's possible this is a China-only, limited release model. And why the text-only announcement?

May 14, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #170 of 391
Had them for a month or so now and 4001 are almost ideal for my preferences but I have to agree, find this upper mid/treble area a bit unbalanced (though for me I do not mind the overal balance of the IEM). Close to a fatal flaw IMO, certain string instruments in particular (and some brass) have a tendency to sound extra 'crispy' and a bit pinched off in the body. Will have to try your mod or some micropore tape perhaps.
Try the face mask. I tried different things and only this worked. You will be amazed how it sound. Also use spinfit during this mod to perfect fitting and tight bass response

Attachments

• C9CB48DB-EE58-4149-9921-BEE3F4325E45.jpeg
    C9CB48DB-EE58-4149-9921-BEE3F4325E45.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 06AA8FED-C0DD-40D7-96A8-293EFFA28841.jpeg
    06AA8FED-C0DD-40D7-96A8-293EFFA28841.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
May 20, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #171 of 391
Found some new pictures of the DK-3001 PRO taken at the Beijing audio show this past weekend. It looks really similar to the 4001, except for the backplate, which appears to have no vent (or that its hidden between the seams of the silver plate and the back shell).

DK-3001PRO_Picture_00.jpg
DK-3001PRO_Picture_01.jpg DK-3001PRO_Picture_02.jpg

Also, I spy new colors for the leather case.

DK-4001_Case_Colors.jpg

Innards...

Inked7cdad3eagy1g46qr1pn7wj20u01brkjm_LI.jpg

Last edited:
May 23, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #172 of 391
Jun 8, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #173 of 391
Jun 11, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #174 of 391
@Brooko, curious how you find the FiiO FH7 fares against the DK-4001? It's an interesting comparison, because the FH7 is a $500 product but promises similar-to-slightly-better on-paper specs, as well as superior treble extension, but takes a more design-by-committee approach to product development, rather than the long 3-year evolution of the 4001... from what I've seen, I'm pretty confident the FH7 sounds pretty darn good, but the 4001 has just been a true pleasure to listen to for me personally. Perhaps it comes down to the less quantifiable aspects, such as the depth and width of the center image, the relative positioning of instruments, etc.

Jun 12, 2019 at 7:01 AM Post #175 of 391
Yep - thats one of the comparisons. Graph:

fh7 vs dk4001.png

Quite similar. DK4001 has a little better bass extension, FH7 a little more forward on the mid-range. DK review hopefully in the weekend.

Jun 13, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #177 of 391
I just got DK-4001 and MAN I LOVE the comfort!

Need more time for first impressions, but MAN they nailed it, those are so darn comfy for me, I feel like I'm in heaven!

Found my nirvana (comfort wise) with some L sized Spiral Dots. Excellent ergonomics and comfort for long term listening. These are a pretty special IEM - don't know if I have another tuning like this in my collection. Don't think they will be everyone's cup of tea in the high mid/low treble area, but they definitely do some things VERY well, and the cable design is just outstanding.

Jun 13, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #178 of 391
Found my nirvana (comfort wise) with some L sized Spiral Dots. Excellent ergonomics and comfort for long term listening. These are a pretty special IEM - don't know if I have another tuning like this in my collection. Don't think they will be everyone's cup of tea in the high mid/low treble area, but they definitely do some things VERY well, and the cable design is just outstanding.

I agree, the sound is slightly different from what I expected as well, they are quite open and light, but the more I listen, the more I fall in love with them :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back