Does anyone wear fullsize headphones out in public?
Oct 6, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #92 of 103
Quote:

If you say so...  Feel free to stay far far away from me if we're ever on the same train.

You should also know that, on said train, there are often spontaneous LOUD conversations that break out (with bellowing laughter being par for the course).  If you think I'm rude, you should try being around those people for more than a few minutes at a time.  And there is a designated quiet car that I NEVER go into - even with closed headphones.

If anyone were ever to say anything to me, I'd be happy to oblige and transition to a pair of standby IEMs.  But since they don't, I don't.

I should also note that whatever I happen to be listening is - more often than not - far more pleasing than whatever useless drivel their conversations consist of.  If you were to walk a mile in my shoes, or sit 62 miles in my train seat, you might be a little more understanding and little less judgmental.

I use the NYC metro every day, I know what it's like to travel on trains. If sound is leaking to the person sitting next to you and there are plenty of other seats around, fine. If the sound of your headphones is polluting the whole carriage or someone has no option other than sit next to you, uncool. Not calling you a dick, just saying be considerate. Some people are reluctant to be confrontational, for all they know you could suffer from track-rage. :wink:

Oct 7, 2012 at 4:33 AM Post #93 of 103
Quote:

I use the NYC metro every day, I know what it's like to travel on trains. If sound is leaking to the person sitting next to you and there are plenty of other seats around, fine. If the sound of your headphones is polluting the whole carriage or someone has no option other than sit next to you, uncool. Not calling you a dick, just saying be considerate. Some people are reluctant to be confrontational, for all they know you could suffer from track-rage. :wink:

Don't know how this stuff usually goes in the US, but in the Netherlands, we've got these 15 year old kids who "invented" their own kind of street-language, walk around in Nickelson jackets made out of a garbage bag glued to a dead ferret, playing extremely cheesy gangsta hiphop/rap stuff at full volume on their blackberries in public trains. Note that it's always a blackberry they use, always, it's an unwritten commandment or something.

With one of those kids within 30 feet I seriously can't listen to my own music decently on me HD555's which I always set to a pretty quiet volume both for my hearing and not to annoy everyone else.

Sometimes they manage to produce the same amount of volume with earbuds in, that's really when stuff is getting serious.

</rage>

Oct 7, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #94 of 103
Quote:

I'd have to say that the car is rarely more than 20% full... and it's very common for everyone to exist within a 10ft radius circle of empty space.  It's really not a big deal.  Think of a sparsely-booked Amtrak train - that's what it's like pretty much every day

Oct 7, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #95 of 103
Quote:
Don't know how this stuff usually goes in the US, but in the Netherlands, we've got these 15 year old kids who "invented" their own kind of street-language, walk around in Nickelson jackets made out of a garbage bag glued to a dead ferret, playing extremely cheesy gangsta hiphop/rap stuff at full volume on their blackberries in public trains. Note that it's always a blackberry they use, always, it's an unwritten commandment or something.

With one of those kids within 30 feet I seriously can't listen to my own music decently on me HD555's which I always set to a pretty quiet volume both for my hearing and not to annoy everyone else.

Sometimes they manage to produce the same amount of volume with earbuds in, that's really when stuff is getting serious.

</rage>

lol, sounds like the kids over there are catching on to trends that were cool in the 90's/early 2000's.  Hardly anyone over here listens to gangsta rap anymore.  Now it's rap music that tries to have a house beat, but fails, so they went back to talking about clubs, hoes, money, etc. 

Oct 7, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #96 of 103
I wear y DT 770s everywhere. The metal headband makes me feel comfortable about them not breaking. They also block out a good amount of sound. Cutting the lawn it will probably block 60-70% of the lawnmower

Oct 7, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #97 of 103
Quote:
I wear y DT 770s everywhere. The metal headband makes me feel comfortable about them not breaking. They also block out a good amount of sound. Cutting the lawn it will probably block 60-70% of the lawnmower

that's impressive, the only headphone i have ever managed to be able to mow with is my ety IEM's.

Oct 7, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #98 of 103
It depends on positioning. If I turn my head sideways its not as good as straight on. It also does a pretty good job at trains. Not sure on planes yet. But I'll know that in December.

Oct 8, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #99 of 103
Quote:

lol, sounds like the kids over there are catching on to trends that were cool in the 90's/early 2000's.  Hardly anyone over here listens to gangsta rap anymore.  Now it's rap music that tries to have a house beat, but fails, so they went back to talking about clubs, hoes, money, etc. 

Yeah sometimes it's dubstep-ish things they're playing, maybe sometimes a fusion of the two, I don't know and don't really care all that much as wel haha

Oct 8, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #100 of 103

Yea that is pretty lame man. I mean Psffffft...dead ferrets went out of style in the US ages ago....

Oct 8, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #101 of 103
Quote:

</rage>

this reminds me of something similar on a greyhound bus trip i took once. some lady was listening to RnB ringtones over and over and over on her blackberry and was singing and getting very involved in the music physically. it was disturbing lol

Oct 10, 2012 at 4:58 AM Post #103 of 103

Users who are viewing this thread

Back