December 2013 Mid-Level DAC Comparison
Dec 11, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #409 of 1,331
There's nothing wrong with it. It's a nice DAC but the street price is much lower than the MSRP which can be said for many products. If I didn't get my Buffalo at a good price I probably would have ended up with the PWD II.

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #410 of 1,331
I say throw it in, but let it be a known caveat. Nothing wrong with being an opportunist :)

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #411 of 1,331
There's nothing wrong with it. It's a nice DAC but the street price is much lower than the MSRP which can be said for many products. If I didn't get my Buffalo at a good price I probably would have ended up with the PWD II.
what are those many products? Besides the PWD (and possibly the first watt amps), I don't see many products that are half the MSRP.

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #412 of 1,331
There are a lot of them out there. Plus the list prices are always crazy high after they've been out as long as the PWD has. The Hilo list is $2495 and you can buy them new for $1850. Those list prices are new release (read gotta have the newest soonest). Add to that Darryl is generous re-selling products he brings through the audio den.

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #413 of 1,331
Trust me, I sure wish I had seen all of the DACs I just ordered at that kind of discount.  The only ones I got discounted were the Emo Stealth, which was on holiday sale, the Yulong because Shenzen discounted it on Amazon and Grant matched them, and one other that I got 10% off  of (not sure if I can say it in the open... but if that dealer in America's heartland is reading this thread and wants me to mention it, I will, via PMs for anybody interested).   Otherwise, when you are dealing with only a couple of retailers in the country, it is tough to negotiate on price -- you want their product, you have to buy it from them, and you pay their price. 

Dec 12, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #414 of 1,331
I'd say include it in the test.
Wouldn't it be interesting to see where this double priced DAC stand in the test and comparisons?
I'd like to see a much much cheaper DAC ($499 Emotiva Stealth DC-1?) comes out on top of this thing.
I know I'm dreaming, but you get the idea.

Dec 12, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #417 of 1,331

I picked up a Dangerous Source this week, initial impressions are that my Gungnir will most likely be up for sale soon.

I have one Dangerous Source on its way to my work now. Along with the Focal Spirit pro.

It's for work use but I'm quite sure they will allow me to take it home for trial.

Nice to see the initial report(s) are positive.. any word on how the headphone amplifier section performs (along with the DAC).. I don't want to take this thread OT, so if you guys are posting impressions in an another thread, let is know.

Dec 12, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #418 of 1,331

Nice to see the initial report(s) are positive.. any word on how the headphone amplifier section performs (along with the DAC).. I don't want to take this thread OT, so if you guys are posting impressions in an another thread, let is know.

I haven't posted any impressions anywhere else, I have only had it in-hand a couple of days now.  

The internal headphone amp is very good.   The best way I can describe the sound of both the DAC and amp sections of the Source comes from a review I'd read on it prior to buying.   "The Dangerous Music converters are designed to sound transparent but not clinical, musical but uncolored."   IMO, that hits the nail on the head.   I've been flipping back and forth between it and my Gungnir and keep finding myself reluctant to switch to the Gungnir when listening to the DS and eager to switch back to the DS when listening to the Gungnir.    That's not meant as a slight against the Gungnir at all, it's an excellent DAC - my ears just seem to prefer the DS the more I compare the two.

All just my own subjective opinion, and I look forward to reading how Gary's impressions compare to what I'm hearing, especially against a larger field of competitors.   I'm a bit disappointed that the Hilo seems to be dead-set on bowing out of this, as I'd thought about going that route, too.

-Mike

Dec 12, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #420 of 1,331
Think you should include a NOS dac

Users who are viewing this thread

Back