December 2013 Mid-Level DAC Comparison
Dec 7, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #376 of 1,331
Unfortunately nobody is offering me free gear, and I'm so honest (or stupid) that I wouldn't take it if they offered it. 

The closest I'm coming is one supplier who is going to hold my check for the 30-days of the trial, to save himself the 3% CC fees which he would feel the need to charge back to me if I returned the DAC, and saving me the hassle of possibly having to pay the CC bill before a charge could be reversed.  Not exactly free goods, but a reasonable way for a small supplier to handle the transaction, as long as everybody is honest, which I believe is the case here.

I am going to order all of the new DACs in the next day or so (except the Yulong -- it was ordered a few days ago).  That should get them all here by 12/15, and allow me to get the returnees back before the free returns period ends.  Given that we're talking about ~$12K in hardware, this is a pretty important consideration.  As I have said multiple times, I have no interest in becoming a used DAC dealer...

Dec 7, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #377 of 1,331
  ...snip ...
As I have said multiple times, I have no interest in becoming a used DAC dealer...

Awww, come on...  "Gary's Gear" has a pretty nice ring to it!

or maybe "Gary's DAC Exchange"...  Yeah, I like that even better!

Dec 7, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #378 of 1,331
  Awww, come on...  "Gary's Gear" has a pretty nice ring to it!

or maybe "Gary's DAC Exchange"...  Yeah, I like that even better!

Yeah! A secret Head-Fi discount code would be nice too 
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 7, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #379 of 1,331
i should have checked this out a while back !
i'm wanting to upgrade my uberfrost, and have tried the stealth dac, and right now i have the wadia 121 decoding computer , and right now i'm hearing the best sound i've heard out of my system !
but i'm still open to other possibilities !
where does the list stand at this point ? i'm trying to catch up !! lol

Dec 7, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #380 of 1,331
1. Emotiva Stealth DC-1.  
2. Resonessence Concero.  
3. Yulong DA8.
4. Metrum Octave Mk II.  
5. Lynx Hilo. 
6. Schiit Gungnir.  
7. Chordette QuteHD.  
8.  NAD M51.  
9. Ciunas DAC 
10. Benchmark DAC-2.  
11. Dangerous Source.  
12. BMC PureDac.  
13. Arcam irDAC
14. Anedio D2.  

That's the final list, with the Emotiva XDA-1 being the 15th, as it is my current DAC.  The ones in italics are being loaned.  All of the others are currently on order except the Chordette QuteHD which I will order Monday, and the BMC PureDAC which is sort of in the middle of being ordered (as in the supplier and I are trading phone calls, working out the details).  Poof, there goes $12K!

Dec 7, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #381 of 1,331

1. Emotiva Stealth DC-1.  
2. Resonessence Concero.  
3. Yulong DA8.
4. Metrum Octave Mk II.  
5. Lynx Hilo. 
6. Schiit Gungnir.  
7. Chordette QuteHD.  
8.  NAD M51.  
9. Ciunas DAC 
10. Benchmark DAC-2.  
11. Dangerous Source.  
12. BMC PureDac.  
13. Arcam irDAC
14. Anedio D2.  

That's the final list, with the Emotiva XDA-1 being the 15th, as it is my current DAC.  The ones in italics are being loaned.  All of the others are currently on order except the Chordette QuteHD which I will order Monday, and the BMC PureDAC which is sort of in the middle of being ordered (as in the supplier and I are trading phone calls, working out the details).  Poof, there goes $12K!

very nice,
i have the ubered bifrost, and i have the stealth and the wadia here now

Dec 8, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #382 of 1,331

1. Emotiva Stealth DC-1.  
2. Resonessence Concero.  
3. Yulong DA8.
4. Metrum Octave Mk II.  
5. Lynx Hilo. 
6. Schiit Gungnir.  
7. Chordette QuteHD.  
8.  NAD M51.  
9. Ciunas DAC 
10. Benchmark DAC-2.  
11. Dangerous Source.  
12. BMC PureDac.  
13. Arcam irDAC
14. Anedio D2.  

Hey Gary,

Just a thought... You might consider editing the first post of this thread, to insert this final list of selected DACs...

Can't wait!

Concero will ship on Monday.

Mike

Dec 10, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #389 of 1,331
Oh...
I missed the story here. What's wrong with the unit?
The unit uses a touch screen for control. It went black. I sent it back and they replaced the screen. I received today and wanted to set it up for Gary and during the setup, it went out again. It takes a week to send back and another to return. I am asking that they keep it and run for a day to ensure it is repaired before sending back.

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #390 of 1,331
The unit uses a touch screen for control. It went black. I sent it back and they replaced the screen. I received today and wanted to set it up for Gary and during the setup, it went out again. It takes a week to send back and another to return. I am asking that they keep it and run for a day to ensure it is repaired before sending back.

Would they drop ship directly to Gary?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back