December 2013 Mid-Level DAC Comparison
Dec 12, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #421 of 1,331
Dec 13, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #423 of 1,331
Think you should include a NOS dac

afaik the metrum is in the shootout.

The Metrum Octave II is in the field and in my dining room, in its box, as are the Benchmark, Yulong, Emotiva, Dangerous Music, Chordette, Arcam and NAD. 

The Gungnir is reportedly at my post office, though the woman behind the counter failed to give it to me when I picked up the Metrum this morning.  I handed her the paper that was left in my mailbox yesterday, and after she messed up the street number (it's "4321"... kind of hard to mess up, if you ask me), she moved a bunch of boxes around and then handed me one with the Metrum in it,  She seemed quite confused by the whole episode, but told me to sign the screen so I did.  I'm guessing that means I've confirmed delivery... of the wrong box, since when I just checked the Gungnir's tracking number on the USPS site it says they attempted delivery and left a notice yesterday... which I used today to pick up the Metrum.  Sigh.  There's a reason why UPS and FedEx use barcoded tracking systems... and why they are making lots of money while the USPS is going broke. 

I'll go back tomorrow and try to find whatever other boxes are there for me.  But the moral of this story is that from now on I will ask that all things being sent to me go by one of the competent delivery services, not the USPS.

Dec 13, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #424 of 1,331
Got the Dangerous Source and a Focal Spirit Pro as a work Xmas gift today 
biggrin.gif

So far, I really like what I'm hearing with both.
The DS is more the object here and, as you understood, I'm liking it a lot.

It's smaller than I expected and fit perfectly between my two 24" screens. Happy worker for sure 
tongue.gif

Edit: oh, and I ship the Ciunas and TeddyPSU tomorrow. You'll get that in the middle of the week. The octave and chord should have received proper burn-in by then.
The DS also has an external 12V power supply, by the way. You might be able to use the TeddyPSU with it, if the plug is compatible!

Dec 13, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #425 of 1,331
The Gungnir has now joined the others on my dining room table. 9 DACs are now in the house.  The furniture is mostly set up how I think I want it (had to rearrange some stuff to make all of this work... the non-existent wife did not complain).  I expect to get at least some of them up and running later tonight to start break-in, and the intention is to have 7 running continuously from tomorrow morning until ~Wednesday, when they will have ~100 hours on them and I can start comparisons.  Schedule is subject to significant change if I can't get all 7 up and running at one time. 

Dec 13, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #427 of 1,331
Dec 13, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #429 of 1,331
I hope "Late Trailer" doesn't mean it's dead...

And speaking of dead, I can't get my computer to recognize either the NAD or my Emo XDA-1 via USB.  I've tried multiple cables, multiple ports, which work fine with phones and printers and such, but when I plug in a DAC it's as if they don't exist.  What am I doing wrong????
blink.gif

Note that optical works fine.  Including through the optical splitter (yaaayyy!!!!) but that isn't good enough.

And here's a picture of a bunch of boxes for those of you who get off on that sort of thing.  Note that the 2 on the upper left are my new Senn HD600 and HD650, both still in their boxes because one is a present, and the person gets to pick which one she wants... I get the other one.  And the black case in the middle is my Koss ESP 950s that have been in there for 6 months.  Hey, it's a nice case, I'm sure they are comfortable

Dec 13, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #430 of 1,331
Lol Gary, you have a knack at making the most mundane things hilarious and interesting 
tongue.gif

Dec 13, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #431 of 1,331
  I can't get my computer to recognize either the NAD or my Emo XDA-1 via USB.  I've tried multiple cables, multiple ports, which work fine with phones and printers and such, but when I plug in a DAC it's as if they don't exist.  

Most DACs work out-of-the-box with Mac,  but for Windows, 99% of them need factory driver installed.
Assuming you are using Windows PC,  have you installed NAD and Emo usb drivers?

Dec 13, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #435 of 1,331

I tried the NAD drivers, but it wants to see the DAC connected, and it doesn't, so it won't work. 

Sometimes a good ol' computer restart is all you need. Have you tried that yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back