DAP-off! Astell&Kern, Sony, HiFiMan, Chord, FiiO, Lotoo, Soundaware, Hiby, Cayin & others
Apr 17, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #61 of 2,125
I just noticed that you are amping the phone out of the zx1. You should get a proper lineout cable from the WM Port Amos. The improvements are substantial in my opinion. The sound quality of the ZX1 & Pico Power is nearly a match to what I am getting from my Audio-technica AT-DHA3000

I am agree With puri
With Sony Lod , SQ improvement is very Good , better detail and Fuller sound
IMO

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #62 of 2,125

I might if i owned it and I don't doubt that you are right. I just noticed though the FiiO dock is $12.

When I head back to Tokyo I can send you the WM-Port LOD I made and you can try. The only thing is that I think the resistor value i used inside may be a little too high therefore output voltage is probably is quite low into the external amp.

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #63 of 2,125
But isn't the amp section of ZX-1 ideally better sounding than the line out? The only reason why most folks used LOD for other devices was because their amp section was just poorly implemented.

Is the SQ difference that much on ZX-1 lineout versus the headphone out?

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #64 of 2,125
  But isn't the amp section of ZX-1 ideally better sounding than the line out? The only reason why most folks used LOD for other devices was because their amp section was just poorly implemented.

In my case, the LOD is not because the ZX1 amp is poorly implemented, it just doesn't have enough oomph for some of the orthos I have so I need a gruntier external amp.

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #65 of 2,125
Yes I have no problem with amping the ZX-1 but I was just thinking perhaps feeding the amp with the ZX-1 headphone out might give a better sound due to the capa used on the amp section. 

I hope to check out the ZX-1 in more depth once it is released here next month.

Apr 18, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #66 of 2,125

Not true.  The line out of the ZX1 is better than the headphone out when pairing with a really good portable such as the Pico Power.  The bass has better extension and the soundstage depth is also better.  The improvements are worth it in IMO. 

In my case, the LOD is not because the ZX1 amp is poorly implemented, it just doesn't have enough oomph for some of the orthos I have so I need a gruntier external amp.

Yes, for harder to drive phones for sure.

Sean, I just update to a new firmware and the overall sound of quality of the ZX1 is now more refined.  The midbass is less pronounced while extending lower.  The presentation is now more 3-D thanks to improvements in soundstage depth.  With my JH13, the ZX1 really remind me of the iBasso DX-100.  Amos, you may want to ask Sean for a permission to update the firmware.  I've not tried this yet either, but others stated that the ZX-1 is now DSD capable.  I'm really enjoying the ZX1's headphone out more now.

Apr 18, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #69 of 2,125
With so much talk about the ZX1, in absolute terms, is the sound quality better with your IEM's out of the ZX1 than the Astell & Kern AK240?

For me, strictly on sound only with my current IEMs, I prefer AK240 over zx1. In fact I would also prefer 901/x5/dx90 over zx1, but zx1 over ak120.

Apr 18, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #70 of 2,125
For me, strictly on sound only with my current IEMs, I prefer AK240 over zx1. In fact I would also prefer 901/x5/dx90 over zx1, but zx1 over ak120.

Please update your ZX-1 to a new firmware.  I'm hearing refinement especially in bass & soundstage area.  

Apr 18, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #71 of 2,125
Ok, since I'm at home today doing work preparation, I have time to play around more, so next up is the HD-800s single-ended. They have extra damping and an ALO Reference 16 cable.

Music: Amber Rubarth -- A Kiss to Build a Dream On (binaural). Players were volume matched to -0db pink noise at 115.7dB (equivalent to a much quieter listening volume with regular, uncompressed music).

X5:

While very pleasant to listen with, the soundstage seems smaller than with the ZX-1 or AK240, suggesting less drive for high-impedance headphones.

ZX-1:

The soundstage is nice and wide -- better than I had expected -- and more of the nuance and detail is apparent compared to the X5.

(HM-901:)

(Being charged at the moment. I'll add impressions later)

AK240:

Same wide soundstage, but it is as if the electronics have disappeared and the delicacy of Amber's singing and the micro detail is more apparent. Not only can one mentally picture Amber and the instruments, but within those images parts of each of them as well.

I didn't expect such a difference with such a simple track and thought I'd have to break out the big orchestral performances to get a very noticeable difference.

Probably a stupid question, but did you set the X5 to high gain. I only ask because of the reviews of the ZX-1 complain about low output, and my X5 has a good deal of output.

Apr 18, 2014 at 6:11 AM Post #72 of 2,125
  With so much talk about the ZX1, in absolute terms, is the sound quality better with your IEM's out of the ZX1 than the Astell & Kern AK240?

The AK240 is definitely a noticeable step up from the Sony. Music from the Sony sounds a bit forced, whereas from the AK240 sounds effortless and the more subtle textures of notes are apparent on excellent recordings.

Probably a stupid question, but did you set the X5 to high gain. I only ask because of the reviews of the ZX-1 complain about low output, and my X5 has a good deal of output.

It came on high gain by default, so yes. Good question! 

Apr 18, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #73 of 2,125

The AK240 is definitely a noticeable step up from the Sony. Music from the Sony sounds a bit forced, whereas from the AK240 sounds effortless and the more subtle textures of notes are apparent on excellent recordings.

It came on high gain by default, so yes. Good question! 

And  Sony ZX1 + HUGO "   v/s  AK240 alone ?
wink.gif

The "combo solution" is cheaper than the AK240 alone, and offers (1) a better UI, (2) access to google apps and .. (3) access to radio & streaming sites !  (hello Qobuz and other HighRes streaming sites for unlimited music & discovery)

Apr 18, 2014 at 6:45 AM Post #74 of 2,125
@bmichels I'm not sure I get you, as a Hugo costs about as much as an AK240.

Apr 18, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #75 of 2,125

Users who are viewing this thread

Back