Cowon Plenue D
Mar 13, 2018 at 7:00 AM Post #4,411 of 4,949
Any of you my fellow PD owners having a freezing or “invalid file” issues while trying to ply certain albums / songs. I made sure that I uploaded less than 120gb of flacs only musk on a 200gb sd card. Can’t quite edifice it what’s wrong? It sure is annoying as hell though.

Any ideas??

Cheers.

Mar 13, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #4,412 of 4,949
Have you made certain that you have not exceeded the file and/or folder limits and your card is formatted as FAT32? Also player should be turned off before inserting or removing your card.

Mar 13, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #4,413 of 4,949
Have you made certain that you have not exceeded the file and/or folder limits and your card is formatted as FAT32? Also player should be turned off before inserting or removing your card.

Absolutely my friend. Formatted in fat32 and since all the files are high res flac files, it is definitely less than the file limit of the player. Quite annoying..

Mar 13, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #4,414 of 4,949
Absolutely my friend. Formatted in fat32 and since all the files are high res flac files, it is definitely less than the file limit of the player. Quite annoying..
Also, note that Flac playback is limited to 24/192 max resolution. If your files do not exceed this, perhaps it is a card issue.

Mar 13, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #4,415 of 4,949
Any of you my fellow PD owners having a freezing or “invalid file” issues while trying to ply certain albums / songs. I made sure that I uploaded less than 120gb of flacs only musk on a 200gb sd card. Can’t quite edifice it what’s wrong? It sure is annoying as hell though.

Any ideas??

Cheers.
It could be a fake card or it could be that the files haven't ended up in the lower 128GB of the card or you might just have some files that are incompatible or corrupted.

Mar 13, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #4,417 of 4,949
Also, note that Flac playback is limited to 24/192 max resolution. If your files do not exceed this, perhaps it is a card issue.

Thanks, will double check that. I sure hope that is the case.

It could be a fake card or it could be that the files haven't ended up in the lower 128GB of the card or you might just have some files that are incompatible or corrupted.

How to make sure that all the files are stored in the lower end of the card? Never heard of this issue before.. Many thanks!

Mar 16, 2018 at 2:11 AM Post #4,418 of 4,949
My Plenue D came today. This is actually my 3rd Cowon mp3 player. A while back I got an iaudio 9, then a few years later upgraded to the iaudio 10 and then got the plenue D.

First impressions are that the sound quality is the typical great cowon sound quality. It's also smaller than I thought and I like how it has both touch screen controls and physical button controls. I organize all my music via folders on my computer and a quick copy/paste onto the player and everything works fine, including album art. The iaudio 10 had problems with album covers not loading but only a few here are showing up without the covers loading.

The UI is also typical cowon: Nothing special but it gets the job done. No complaints. However, the UI lag is definitely there and is annoying. Not a dealbreaker but how did this get through QA? I guess they didn't care or didn't want to spend more money on a slightly better processor?

One annoying thing is that the physical skip track buttons are reversed, I feel. If you hit the one facing up, it goes backwards one track and the down facing one goes forwards a track. I'm sure I'll get used to it but I'd like to reverse them if possible.

I haven't had a chance to test the battery so if it gives anywhere near the advertised 100 hrs for mp3s and 50 for flac, I will be more than happy.

Overall, I'm impressed with it. I'd rate it a 4 out of 5.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2018 at 5:02 AM Post #4,419 of 4,949
You guys complaining about UI lag have updated to the latest firmware haven't you? I believe it was an issue on earlier firmware.

Mar 16, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #4,424 of 4,949
I think they just cheaped out on the display. Maybe lag is the wrong word to use. It's just not as responsive or fluid as I expect it to be. Which I can totally understand for a budget player released in early 2016. If they have to cheap out on anything I'm glad it's that rather than the sound quality. The device came with the 1.17 firmware which I believe is the latest version. You get used to it and again it's not a dealbreaker.

Mar 16, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #4,425 of 4,949
I'm less forgiving of Cowon's shortcomings with their budget players, but there's a very good reason for that.

I am a huge fan of the J3, and in 7 years, Cowon have succeeded in going ...backwards.

That's unacceptable for one of the market-leading companies in the DAP marketplace, during more than the past decade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back