Cowon Plenue D
Apr 4, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #4,442 of 4,949
Do you have your EQ really tweaked? I'm asking because I've recently been playing with the EQ again and went back to a less aggressive setting with only a slight V. (My old iPod Classic was always EQ off.) In doing so I have to bump my volume up from 45/50 to over 60. The US firmware temporarily stops the volume from going past 60 to "prevent hearing damage" unless you manually hit "OK". I don't think I've ever gone past 65 but it made me wonder what levels others were at and then about my own hearing :wink:

I go between a tweak and headphone2/3 setting. I also used my iPod 5.5gen without EQ. When I am night-listening I’m down to 8/10, maybe less. If a song is really rocking that’s when it goes up!

Apr 4, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #4,443 of 4,949
To follow up, considering the size and battery life I feel the PD is a replacement/upgrade to my beloved iPod 5.5gen. I’ve had several DAPs since the iPod and the PD is a great player!

Apr 4, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #4,445 of 4,949
To follow up, considering the size and battery life I feel the PD is a replacement/upgrade to my beloved iPod 5.5gen. I’ve had several DAPs since the iPod and the PD is a great player!

Among your DAPs, which one offer the best sound? Is PD comparable in sound to Colorfly C3? Thanks :)

Apr 4, 2018 at 11:17 PM Post #4,446 of 4,949
Among your DAPs, which one offer the best sound? Is PD comparable in sound to Colorfly C3? Thanks :)

I am judging on SQ and Dynamics...
Shozy Alien is best overall.
C3 vs PD (EQ engaged): PD wins due to dynamic range. C3 has good SQ but lacks dynamic range unless paired with an amp.
The Jet Effects of the Cowons are really good so you can taylor to taste.
If I were to be left with one of my current DAPs the Plenue D would be my choice.

Apr 9, 2018 at 3:30 AM Post #4,447 of 4,949
Hi everyone, is Plenue D still a good buy today?

I am cross shopping this with Hiby R3, Onkyo DP-S1, Pioneer XDP-30R.

I'm a simple guy, I don't need wireless bluetooth, DSP, line out, sexy interfaces. I just need a good 3.5 output playing FLACs/MP3s (no DSDs) and listen to anything from classical music to rock, jazz, EDM and pop >> so if the sound is coloured or lacking extension please let me know!

I am pairing with the Pinnacle PX which is identical to P1 at 50ohms and 96db/mW sensitivity. Will the Cowon be able to drive these?

Cheers!

Hello,

Don't know if you've ordered yet, but as per your stated requirements/ preferences, the Plenue D is still one of the best buys for exactly those purposes. Also do have a look at the newer similar sized DAPs released by Cowon, named Plenue J & Plenue V.

As regards the Plenue D (and Cowon in general), their close to perfect 'JetEffect' enhancements are what makes them a big sell, IMO, because their EQ options are very good indeed, and even without going into the 4 or so available user presets, there are a few default presets that would suit almost all genres (the 'Maestro' preset is one such example IMO). You would be best left to explore more of this on your own. The 'Normal' preset is pretty neutral-ish sounding in my opinion, and should have a generally satisfying sound to it. I currently use the PD as my DAP on the go, although I would've preferred a digital audio out option to connect to my Mojo while at home, or even while travelling it wouldn't be a huge stack compared to some other portable rigs we usually see here on head-fi. Hence I've ordered a Hidizs AP60 (Mk II) to serve as a digital transport for the Mojo, and also play streaming services through my phone connected via bluetooth/ Hiby Link. But the PD still remains in the inventory as my main stand-alone DAP while travelling or for pure portability. The battery life is downright amazing as well.

Cheers & happy listening

Apr 9, 2018 at 3:37 AM Post #4,448 of 4,949
Hello,

Don't know if you've ordered yet, but as per your stated requirements/ preferences, the Plenue D is still one of the best buys for exactly those purposes. Also do have a look at the newer similar sized DAPs released by Cowon, named Plenue J & Plenue V.

As regards the Plenue D (and Cowon in general), their close to perfect 'JetEffect' enhancements are what makes them a big sell, IMO, because their EQ options are very good indeed, and even without going into the 4 or so available user presets, there are a few default presets that would suit almost all genres (the 'Maestro' preset is one such example IMO). You would be best left to explore more of this on your own. The 'Normal' preset is pretty neutral-ish sounding in my opinion, and should have a generally satisfying sound to it. I currently use the PD as my DAP on the go, although I would've preferred a digital audio out option to connect to my Mojo while at home, or even while travelling it wouldn't be a huge stack compared to some other portable rigs we usually see here on head-fi. Hence I've ordered a Hidizs AP60 (Mk II) to serve as a digital transport for the Mojo, and also play streaming services through my phone connected via bluetooth/ Hiby Link. But the PD still remains in the inventory as my main stand-alone DAP while travelling or for pure portability. The battery life is downright amazing as well.

Cheers & happy listening

Hi, thanks for your reply! I jumped on a deal on the Onkyo DP-S1 so I'm going with that for now. But yes, Cowon is high up in my shortlist when I'm next finding something portable :wink:

Apr 10, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #4,450 of 4,949
Hi, thanks for your reply! I jumped on a deal on the Onkyo DP-S1 so I'm going with that for now. But yes, Cowon is high up in my shortlist when I'm next finding something portable :wink:

Hey, that's great then. Do share your impressions soon. Would you be using it as a transport or purely as a stand alone Dap? I believe it has digital out as well. Maybe it's just what you wanted.

Enjoy!
Cheers

Apr 17, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #4,451 of 4,949
Hello

Could someone please share with me an mp3 file with synchronized lyrics embedded (SYLT tag) that display correctly on Plenue D? Or a .lrc file that works correctly? I tried to use Cowon's lyrics software as well, but the result is negative.

TIA

May 4, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #4,453 of 4,949
Hii recently purchased a cowon Plenue d also and was just wondering, what is the highest capacity SD card it can use without causing any harm to the player?
People here have used 256GB cards but only the first 128GB is accessible. It won't damage the player but any files that end up in the top half of the card won't play even though they will of course still appear in the directory listing.

May 4, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #4,455 of 4,949
Anyone here find they genuinely get anywhere near the claimed 100 hrs battery life, with their Plenue D?

I have a Plenue J, which has a claimed 50hrs battery life, but I'm lucky if I get more than 15 hrs out of it, playing 192kbps mp3, at medium volume, and (at the moment) cheap Sony earbuds.

Hardly challenging for the player, even if it isn't 128kbps mp3.

I have a suspicion that the unnecessary library scan at every boot-up guzzles a lot of power, and that playing from microSD may consume a bit more power than playing from the internal memory, but I am not happy at getting so much less than the claimed 50hrs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back