Cowon Plenue D
Jan 18, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #3,886 of 4,949
  LG V10 should be the phone matching or even surpassing PD in sound quality. I own Galaxy S7 Edge (international Exynos version, with a dedicated DAC) and just ordered Plenue D, but I'm afraid I will not find the sound quality better or more pleasant than S7. But I am very curious about playing with the EQ settings after reading this forum :) Will report my impressions.

Guys, I'm very sorry for the newbie mistake - I wanted to reply to a post where a user asked if the PD will sound better than a good smartphone and which one of the phones he should get. Then I saw that I replied to the global thread and tried to delete my post but posted it again somehow :frowning2: Is there a way to delete the double post?

And thanks everybody for all the information, you were an inspiration to order a gold/black version of PD from the UK, will get it in a week.

Best regards from cold (-9C at the moment) Lithuania!

Jan 18, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #3,887 of 4,949
  Ah well I bought mine again today.

I recently got a new smartphone (Oneplus 3) and tested a lot of music on it.
However I was still thinking about the Plenue all the time.
The shop where I bought it still had the exact same unit
but the price dropped quite a bit  since the last time so I bought it again :see_no_evil:.

Hopefully I don't regret it

And how does the Plenue D sound compared to Oneplus 3?

Jan 18, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #3,888 of 4,949
Plenue D is very different from the other players. Most audiophile devices boast what DAC chip they have, for Plenue D you actually have to dig deep to find out (some modest wolfson chip don't exactly remember which one). So a lot of phones will have better audio then Plenue D, theoretically.

But the battery life with BBE is what sets it apart. If you really care about critical listening or listening to the "true recording" Plenue D is not the player.

Jan 18, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #3,889 of 4,949
Plenue D is very different from the other players. Most audiophile devices boast what DAC chip they have, for Plenue D you actually have to dig deep to find out (some modest wolfson chip don't exactly remember which one). So a lot of phones will have better audio then Plenue D, theoretically.

But the battery life with BBE is what sets it apart. If you really care about critical listening or listening to the "true recording" Plenue D is not the player.

Here is the Cowon Plenue D open and all player specs: http://www.head-fi.org/t/789488/cowon-plenue-d/2865#post_12631507

Jan 18, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #3,890 of 4,949

And how does the Plenue D sound compared to Oneplus 3?

In my opinion the PD has more detail. However it depends a bit on the music
and the player you're using on the Oneplus. Depending on the music and
with a good player like Poweramp it can get hard to notice a difference.

One thing which is quite noticeable however is that the PD has a much better bass.
I'm not really good at describing this things but on the Oneplus
the bass is a bit weak in general and if you push it with an equalizer it doesn't
sound very good. The PD starts with a bit more bass and if you push it with
the equalizer or the JetEffects it still sounds good.
I'm using it with a Sennheiser HD 25-1 II and Etymötic hf5.

Jan 18, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #3,891 of 4,949

In my opinion the PD has more detail. However it depends a bit on the music
and the player you're using on the Oneplus. Depending on the music and
with a good player like Poweramp it can get hard to notice a difference.

One thing which is quite noticeable however is that the PD has a much better bass.
I'm not really good at describing this things but on the Oneplus
the bass is a bit weak in general and if you push it with an equalizer it doesn't
sound very good. The PD starts with a bit more bass and if you push it with
the equalizer or the JetEffects it still sounds good.
I'm using it with a Sennheiser HD 25-1 II and Etymötic hf5.

Thank you, now I'm very eager to compare Plenue D with my Galaxy S7 - it also has a rather weak (or rather "muddy") base, especially if I try to hook my Grado SR225e. Sounds more or less OK with in-ears though.

Jan 18, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #3,892 of 4,949
I've renamed my PD to my "wonder box".

Jan 19, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #3,893 of 4,949
Comparison: Cowon Plenue D Vs Sony NW-A35
http://www.head-fi.org/t/832786/comparison-cowon-plenue-d-vs-sony-nw-a35

Jan 20, 2017 at 5:08 AM Post #3,896 of 4,949
Hello, i own a dragonfly black Sabre DAC 9010) for my PC  (nice audio but sounds too bright and fatiguing also lacks little bass) , also a Samsung note 5 (Wolfson DAC) (more relaxing audio than dragonfly but so lacking in depth compared to my dragonfly)

Since portable DAC and a phone give me so much hassle 
angry_face.gif

I decided to buy a dedicated DAP but i am having a hard time deciding between Cowon plenue D  and ibasso Dx50  .  did any one compared them A/B  comparison regarding audio quality? . 
confused.gif

All i care about is audio quality only (no battery , ui, design.....etc)

Please need help deciding since i didn't find any regarding to them in forums.

Jan 20, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #3,898 of 4,949
Can someone help me? I bought a Plenue D on eBay but it has a problem: It starts up and asks for selecting the language, but I can not select one. There seems to be a touchscreen problem or the UI 'freezes'. Does anybody know how to solve this problem?

Format and reinstall the firmware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back