Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Jan 9, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #1,081 of 3,200
Thanks guys. :)

I have released a new version of Aero Music. For people who use El Macos Coverflow (the best coverflow implementation for the S9/J3 ever) is this release quite useful because it adds the possibility to use a normal browser and el maco's coverflow at the same time. Usually, you can use coverflow only (if installed of course) since it is a browser replacement.
Moreover, the new release contains an EQ Editor which can be started directly from the music UCI.

http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?p=307793&posted=1#post307793

Jan 10, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #1,082 of 3,200
I've been using your UCI for a bit and I do like it. However is it normal for the track preview when accessed via the short cut method to not have the current song highlighted but rather the last song you played via the track preview? It works fine when accessing the track preview by the menu.

Jan 10, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #1,083 of 3,200
i'm loving the new music UCI Kizune... as a request is there anyway you can add the option to not display the album in the info just like in your dark evolution music UCI :)

Jan 11, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #1,086 of 3,200
I just got one today.. my first impressions:

1) sluggish, not very sensitive (sometimes you need to press twice to get to a menu, these kind of annoyances...). I am NOT used to touchscreen so maybe it's due to this..?

2) battery life down to 25% after 2 hours (but ok, that was after charging it fully for the first time..?). Now back to 50%. I charged it about 6 hours ago when at work.  

3) Clock randomly stops working. Right now it's over an hour late despite having set it on time earlier on today.  

4) a screen this big and no way to access the current playing artist's album or other songs..? And the song/artist name written so small..? :s There's a lot of real estate left unused under the album art which isn't THAT needed due to the physical buttons, and yet there's nothing there...  

5) Sluggish (again :frowning2: ) If I select all tunes and then select an individual song within an album, going back to the 'All' setting doesn't work; it keeps on playing only the album. Why this, while there already is a folder option..?  

...And I've just checked and the firmware is version 2.23.    

Am I seeing something wrong in this? I had a D2 before and the whole folder system was equally annoying, so I learnt to expect this and not care about it this much (Sony firmware and UI is incredible but it can't be everywhere...).  

Now I love tweaking so I think I'll be fine, but I'm just a little bit ticked off at it...  

Note:    
*I prefer using tags to navigate. I religiously tag all my files but I tend to transfer using drag/drop, so my folder management isn't 100% (though whenever I use MediaMonkey to transfer, I always go with folders for artists -> albums)  
*As soon as I got it, I plugged it in and transferred files from my older Sony A729 to it (over 2,000 tunes)  
*I'm really not used to touch screens... I got the J3 based on reviews that its screen was responsive and of course that it does have buttons. Maybe I was expecting better responsiveness due to my inexperience.

Jan 11, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #1,087 of 3,200
J3 is fine , maybe you are having a bad day and you see everything black and cloudy.

Tomorrow is a new sunny better day.

Peace.

Jan 11, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #1,088 of 3,200
As of yesterday, when my Arrow arrived, upgraditis is sated.  To recap, I went from a Zen Xtra 60gb / Cardas HPI mini / Headroom Total Airhead / Ety ER-4 p/s.  Now:

Cowon J3 w/32gb SDHC
Whiplash TWag w/ Oyaide right angles
Arrow 3G
EarSonics SM3
Audio Technica ESW9A
Beyerdynamic T50p
Oh, and Ringke case and Cowon screen protector. 
That's one sexy little low-profile black box rig...
And yes, Opeth FLAC rules...
L3000.gif

The J3, SM3s, and ESW9's came in mid Nov., Beyers and Whiplash TWag in mid Dec., and at long last the Arrow.  Some of the gear is still in the burn in/break in phase, but now that it's all here I can do it all together...it's nice being able to use the Arrow to break in not only the amp, but both AT's and Beyers at the same time, lol.  So much awesomeness I can't even take it all in, lol.  Still coming to terms with all the new(ish) toys. 

I need to figure out custom EQ settings for the IEMs and phones, and fiddle with the Arrow switches, but just using the standard JetEffect settings I get good results.  The SM3s sound good with just BBE or HP2, ESW9's with HP2, and T50p's with BBE Headphone.  ViVA for movies is nice.  Any of the other EQ settings are more for fun, not for actual music.  All in all, I couldn't be happier with the J3 being to cornerstone of my rekindled love affair with portable audio.

Jan 12, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #1,089 of 3,200
Sweet setup!  Do your IEM's & headphones benefit from the Arrow amp?  (Specifically your SM3 and T50P)
Also how does the T50P compare in sound to your SM3?  I love the sound of my SM3 and was wondering if i'd like the T50P.  Thanks!

Quote:
As of yesterday, when my Arrow arrived, upgraditis is sated.  To recap, I went from a Zen Xtra 60gb / Cardas HPI mini / Headroom Total Airhead / Ety ER-4 p/s.  Now:

Cowon J3 w/32gb SDHC
Whiplash TWag w/ Oyaide right angles
Arrow 3G
EarSonics SM3
Audio Technica ESW9A
Beyerdynamic T50p
Oh, and Ringke case and Cowon screen protector. 
That's one sexy little low-profile black box rig...
And yes, Opeth FLAC rules...
L3000.gif

The J3, SM3s, and ESW9's came in mid Nov., Beyers and Whiplash TWag in mid Dec., and at long last the Arrow.  Some of the gear is still in the burn in/break in phase, but now that it's all here I can do it all together...it's nice being able to use the Arrow to break in not only the amp, but both AT's and Beyers at the same time, lol.  So much awesomeness I can't even take it all in, lol.  Still coming to terms with all the new(ish) toys. 

I need to figure out custom EQ settings for the IEMs and phones, and fiddle with the Arrow switches, but just using the standard JetEffect settings I get good results.  The SM3s sound good with just BBE or HP2, ESW9's with HP2, and T50p's with BBE Headphone.  ViVA for movies is nice.  Any of the other EQ settings are more for fun, not for actual music.  All in all, I couldn't be happier with the J3 being to cornerstone of my rekindled love affair with portable audio.

Jan 12, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #1,092 of 3,200
I was wondering if the Cowon J3 is able to play Zune Pass DRM'd files. I know in the past you could load DRM'd files onto the Cowons using windows media player and I was wondering if this is still possible.

Thanks!

Jan 12, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #1,093 of 3,200

Quote:
Sweet setup!  Do your IEM's & headphones benefit from the Arrow amp?  (Specifically your SM3 and T50P)
Also how does the T50P compare in sound to your SM3?  I love the sound of my SM3 and was wondering if i'd like the T50P.  Thanks!

Pretty much what dfkt noted...the SM3's are absolutely perfect off the J3 itself (most portables actually) and don't gain much by amping them with the Arrow, but they don't LOSE anything either.  For me, the benefits of hardware implemented crossfeed (software or algorithms never quite sound right to my ears) and good bass boost outweigh any negatives, but if I want low profile, compact, and minimalist, the J3 + SM3 is the optimal setup.  I DO think the T50p's gain something with amping them, for sure though.  They are designed for portable use, but they certainly sound fantastic with the Arrow.  Also, I'd hardly call them bass-shy, but they sound awesome with a little boost.  They are more than capable of lots of bass, but like their big brothers, the T1, or the HD800, they are bright and clean, with extended top ends, so the bass tends to be...I don't know...lost in the mix, I guess.  It's there, you just don't notice it as much because you're awed by the other end of the spectrum.

Comparing the SM3 and T50p is...well, not fair, in a way.  At least not with DIRECT comparisons, as they present things in entirely different manners, yet both are amazing.  If (like me) you'd consider the SM3 to be warmer than neutral, a little forward, with a rich midrange, and highly dependant on source material to shine, then you'd probably find the T50p's to be bright, clean, fast, airy, smooth, detailed, fantasticly accurate with vocals and spot on imaging, yet not harsh, TOO bright, or sibilant.  They have a very unique sound to them.  The closest analogy to full sized cans I can think of is that the SM3 reminds me a lot of HD650's in terms of tone and overall presentation, minus the openness and soundstage, whereas the T50p's are more like...well...I WANT to say AKG K701's, but I hate those...TOO bright, bass-shy, cold, and un-natural...so, really...they are more like T1's, lol.  If this doesn't sound appealing to you, all I can suggest is to try them first, as they are GREAT phones, but if you're flying blind and want something more SM3-like, maybe the ESW9A's are a lot closer.

Jan 12, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #1,094 of 3,200
I just noticed that my screen flickers a little bit.  The timing is somewhat random but it's about every 5-10 seconds and happens on all menus/applications screens.  It's a subtle flicker and only dims the screen by about 20%, but it's annoying.  

I haven't had my J3 that long so I don't know if this has been a problem out of the box.  I search the interwebs and only found two posts of people who noticed the same thing.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Jan 12, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #1,095 of 3,200
Nope, no flickering.

Question: is your screen lifted a bit at the bottom left....or right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back