Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Jan 13, 2011 at 5:50 AM Post #1,111 of 3,200
J3 + 252/262

Awesome.

Jan 13, 2011 at 6:31 AM Post #1,112 of 3,200

Quote:
I was wondering if the Cowon J3 is able to play Zune Pass DRM'd files. I know in the past you could load DRM'd files onto the Cowons using windows media player and I was wondering if this is still possible.

Thanks!

It supports 'normal' PlaysForSure DRM, but definitely not the Zune's extra-proprietary locked stuff. Microsoft made sure that the Zune Pass isn't compatible with anything else.

Jan 13, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #1,113 of 3,200
J3 + HD 25 / Er6i

I've got a question: I've recently upgraded my speakers (to adam a5's), and i've found out my external sound card sucks balls. Would my system benefit from using the j3 as source?

Jan 13, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #1,115 of 3,200
Of course that would be the best long-term solution. And a new sound card is propably something I am going to buy this year when i've got some money for it. That being said I'm just hoping a 1,50 euro minijack male - rca female cable will be a quick (and cheap) to fix my soundcard issues.

Jan 13, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #1,116 of 3,200

Quote:
Haha. I know what he looks like. I have his IP, and his email accounts. Sadly, he just ported his number over to another provider, which sucks because my friend was just going to do a reverse look up for his address.  

Darn...Well I agree with him shouldn't cost a fortune to get it fixed just skip over to Cowon website and submit a form or call...

Jan 13, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #1,117 of 3,200

Quote:
I just got one today.. my first impressions:

1) sluggish, not very sensitive (sometimes you need to press twice to get to a menu, these kind of annoyances...). I am NOT used to touchscreen so maybe it's due to this..?

2) battery life down to 25% after 2 hours (but ok, that was after charging it fully for the first time..?). Now back to 50%. I charged it about 6 hours ago when at work.  

3) Clock randomly stops working. Right now it's over an hour late despite having set it on time earlier on today.  

4) a screen this big and no way to access the current playing artist's album or other songs..? And the song/artist name written so small..? :s There's a lot of real estate left unused under the album art which isn't THAT needed due to the physical buttons, and yet there's nothing there...  

5) Sluggish (again :frowning2: ) If I select all tunes and then select an individual song within an album, going back to the 'All' setting doesn't work; it keeps on playing only the album. Why this, while there already is a folder option..?  

...And I've just checked and the firmware is version 2.23.    

Am I seeing something wrong in this? I had a D2 before and the whole folder system was equally annoying, so I learnt to expect this and not care about it this much (Sony firmware and UI is incredible but it can't be everywhere...).  

Now I love tweaking so I think I'll be fine, but I'm just a little bit ticked off at it...  

Note:    
*I prefer using tags to navigate. I religiously tag all my files but I tend to transfer using drag/drop, so my folder management isn't 100% (though whenever I use MediaMonkey to transfer, I always go with folders for artists -> albums)  
*As soon as I got it, I plugged it in and transferred files from my older Sony A729 to it (over 2,000 tunes)  
*I'm really not used to touch screens... I got the J3 based on reviews that its screen was responsive and of course that it does have buttons. Maybe I was expecting better responsiveness due to my inexperience.

Ok so after a couple of days;

I'm still not used to the touchscreen but you're right, it's not sluggish. It was just me. Speed is fine, it's just hard to touch and adjust to the right finger placements to hit what I want, and hit it properly.

Battery life... still weird. It depleted in less than a day yesterday (maybe about 5 hours). But today it's still going strong (all bars). So we'll see.

Clock works and is on time. Radio trick works
smile.gif

4) was adressed by Kizune's awesome new music player for the J3. Fantastic
biggrin.gif
ONLY beef left; there is no way to change the 'range' upwards. His skin alllows me however to select all tunes by the currently playing album or artist, but there is no way to change the range to all songs after. Still, much needed improvement and thank you Kizune
smile.gif

As mentioned, this is with 2.23 as stock, so it's the latest firmware. It's still buggy, still randomly freezes from time to time, but it sounds nice and it's got an INCREDIBLE screen.

Thanks for the tips everyone, much happier now
wink.gif

Jan 13, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #1,118 of 3,200
You shouldn't put to much pressure on the touchscreen because it uses a grid with a current running through it to pinpoint your fingers. Putting pressure on your fingers will only increase the size of your fingertips thus making the touchscreen less responsive.

Jan 14, 2011 at 9:21 AM Post #1,120 of 3,200
Any cool way to clean the screen form fingertips etc ?

Jan 14, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #1,123 of 3,200
Microfiber cloth or a lens cloth (like you clean glasses with) work great, but in a pinch a t-shirt is fine.

Jan 14, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #1,125 of 3,200
I just got my J3 a couple of days ago as a replacement for my S:Flo2 while it is RMA'd back to China.  I have to say that the J3 is fantastic I love how it sounds with my ES5's straight out of the headphone jack.  With my S:Flo I used my RSA Mustang and loved the sound of that combo as well.  The interface on the J3 is so much nicer and easier to use not to mention the ability to show cover art for my Flac files makes me think this will more then likely be a permanent replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back