Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Feb 28, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #3,166 of 3,200
Wow this is a real blast from the past. I haven't used my J3 in a long while, ever since I signed up for Google Play Music the convenience factor overrode all other considerations. Maybe time to dig it back up...
J3 is unmatched among my gear in its battery life, form factor, tactile side buttons, and since I've already got it set up with my music and organization and playlists, so I don't feel like repeating that with my phone or tablet, even though I could if I had to. Also, the music will cut from time to time if I'm listening to music and using google maps, Firefox, or an image editor at the same time on my phone, so might as well leave my J3 in charge of music playback, in my case. Some of my portable headphones are recabled and I put Switchcraft plugs on them because of their durability, which aren't phone-case friendly.

May 12, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #3,167 of 3,200
My J3 just refuses to die; I guess this is a good thing. Such a great DAP. I honestly lose sleep thinking that it will one day fail (which it will) ... but man, what a DAP! Going strong for years. The side buttons. The GODLIKE battery life. The fact I can put a fat ass SD card in it? <sigh> .. and I have to say ... spend the whopping $15 or so on some KZ ZS3's?? Man .. what a treasure.

Aug 22, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #3,168 of 3,200
I had a genuine moment of terror this morning, around 4am, when getting ready to go the gym. As I always do ... I checked the power on my aged, slightly beat to **** Cowon J3 by turning it on briefly to observe the battery meter. Noting the meter almost empty, I powered off and plugged in the charging cable. Thing is though? I plugged in the charging cable *just* as the machine was still powering off ... I mean to say that as I plugged in the charging cable? The screen was still displaying the shut down graphics. Seems this ill timed movement caused an issue as the J3 would not charge after shutting down and nor would it power back on. It was genuinely bricked. I tried using the reset hole on the back of the J3. I tried many, many times, an uncomfortable bead of sweat forming on my brow. All to no avail. I had used the reset hole/button before but only a few times and it always worked. This time? No love. It was dead and I nearly hyperventilated at the thought that the J3 had finally passed. LOL! True story. Sadly, needing to get to the gym? I grabbed my huge ass Samsung Note 4 phone to use as a music playback device while lifting at the gym and truth be told I was not too bothered by this as in my opinion? The Note 4 sounds quite a bit better than the J3, much more power, etc. But the Note 4 is giant in comparison to the J3 and I have nowhere near as much music on my Note 4 as I do on my J3; and, so even though I had tunes (essential to the gym process) ... I still could not stop thinking about my broken Cowon J3 (every time I did a rep/set .. instead of counting out the reps? I just thought, "J1, J2, J3!..." LMAO!!!. Upon returning home? I tried a random combination of using the reset button again, both while not charging and also while charging ... all with the machine powered off. After about 10 random combinations of such? I stopped, and with the charge cable unplugged? I tried starting the J3, and? The screen flashed totally white like I'd never seen it do before, then went black and then? The typical J3 boot graphics came up ("checking external memory", etc.) and the thing powered right the hell back on!!! LMAO!!! I almost did a dance as I'd already ordered a $170.00 Cowon Plenue D off of Ebay before going to the gym as the tiny little J3 is so critical to my gym/workout process and I was thinking it was just finally time to upgrade. Seems not!! LOL ... long live the Cowon J3 ... it's ALIVE!!!! Every bit of that was true ... including my nearly hyperventilating. LOL ... anybody who trains (gym/running/etc.) and uses music/noise to assist that training? Will most certainly understand. I've been strength training in the gym four days a week for nearly 8 years and have only gone without my music player and headphones, maybe *once* ... :wink: ... so far so good. It's been going all day. So never plug your charging cable in when the unit is in the middle of the power down process. You might find yourself jumping through hoops to resuscitate the thing. LOL ... :wink: ...

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #3,169 of 3,200
Hi, folks.

I'd like to change my cowon's battery. I read, what people use BA700 batteries. But Sony do not produce them anymore (so no more genuine stuff). Could someone recommend me a good alternative?

Personally i love this player. Before i had i-audio 7, after it was S9. And in 2010 i paid thisone, J3 with 16Gb. Where i put 16Gb card.

Actually 64Gb card waiting delivery.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 6:28 AM Post #3,170 of 3,200
Got a BA700 battery and well installed:

5Mq2r4S.png

Battery had sony hologram sticker, which went away. After small polshing it perfectly fits. Soldered with Ag3.5%, 425°C, verrry fast.

May 15, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #3,172 of 3,200
Another J3 user dropping in, I bought mine in 2010, and amazingly, the battery life is still great!

I am very sad about the lack of real custom firmwares though...

Are there any better firmwares out there? All I know is the custom flash GUI, which is cool, but kind of slow :/

Aug 30, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #3,173 of 3,200
Anybody here still using their J3? I use mine during my commutes and I am still very happy with it. I recently auditioned a Plenue J and while the sound was just as good as the J3, the overall experience was lacking. The screen is not even close to my J3's quality and the feel of the player (button placement, etc.) was not that good. I'm sure I could get used to it and deal with it, but the J3 is just better. Now if only there were no 8000 file limits. Oh well.

Jul 15, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #3,175 of 3,200
Seeing thread pop up has been a blast from the past. Had the J3 years ago, before changing to a Plenue D.

Jul 27, 2020 at 3:10 AM Post #3,176 of 3,200
Hi guys I started to use my J3 again after some time. I'm listening to FLACs with my shure se215 and I'm curious to try the custom UCIs. Unfortunately the only thing I can find is a bunch of links to everythingbutiphone or iaudiophile that are closed.

Can anyone give me a hint where to find the files? Thanks

Jul 31, 2020 at 8:16 PM Post #3,177 of 3,200
Hi guys I started to use my J3 again after some time. I'm listening to FLACs with my shure se215 and I'm curious to try the custom UCIs. Unfortunately the only thing I can find is a bunch of links to everythingbutiphone or iaudiophile that are closed.

Can anyone give me a hint where to find the files? Thanks
Hey, I may have a few saved on my work PC. I should be there on Tuesday (maybe Monday) and I can check. I still use my J3 and have had Kizune’s UCIs in there for years.

Aug 1, 2020 at 7:39 AM Post #3,178 of 3,200
Hey, I may have a few saved on my work PC. I should be there on Tuesday (maybe Monday) and I can check. I still use my J3 and have had Kizune’s UCIs in there for years.
Thank you very much. Would be awesome :beerchug:

Meanwhile I tested a Sandisk 128GB micro SD and it seams to work. Obviously you have to use a card reader to copy music because with the j3 plugged with usb the sd card doesn’t show up.

The only drawback is the longer loading time at startup.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2020 at 4:26 AM Post #3,179 of 3,200
I was cleaning my room over the weekend and stumbled upon my J3! It was pretty incredible to boot it back up and listen to some tracks I've forgotten about after several years of not using. I must say that J3 hits that sweet spot of usability, battery life, sound quality and form factor. I've used some other devices since then and I've only just noticed how snappy the UI of the J3 is (especially compared to some of the other (older Android based) Cowon devices I've used since).

Sep 28, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #3,180 of 3,200
For those ever interested in replacing thier J3 battery it's a very simple process using a Sony BA700 battery. All that's required is some basic soldering skills and a piece of sand paper to take about 1mm of the bottom of the battery casing (plastic) (so it fits) I recently changed mine. If anyone wants further information just send me a PM anytime.

But do not worry, a trip to Korea is not required.
I just received my BA700 and I know how to get into my JE. I would very much appreciate any info regarding this battery substitution. Also is this battery protected from over charging. Thank you. DR. SAM iglover@comcast.net

Users who are viewing this thread

Back