Compact Portable Headphone Roundup (16 Phones including PortaPro, PX-100 II, V-Jays, Tracks, K430, and more)
Sep 29, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #182 of 202
Update on my pending reviews...

I've been working on these for some time and the sheer number of headphones has caused it to take a bit longer than I expected to complete. I've decided to break them down into groups and I will post those in new threads very soon.

The first roundup will feature 10 headphones that are roughly in the $100 USD price range. These include:

AIAIAI Capital
Beyerdynamic DTX-501p
California Headphone Company Laredo
German Maestro GMP 160
House of Marley Exodus
Incase Sonic
NOCS NS-700 Phaser
Noontec Zoro
Sennheiser HD239
SOL Republic Tracks HD

The second roundup will basically be a continuation of this thread with budget-friendly portable headphones and will include some references to the headphones in this thread. These include:

Brainwavz HM3
Eskuche 33-i
House of Marley Positive Vibrations
Incase Reflex
JVC HA-S600
JVC HA-M750
RHA CA-200
RHA SA-950i
Sennheiser HD229
Soniq Nitro SH-700M
Superlux HD661
Ultrasone HFI-15G

Finally, I will be comparing a few full-size Monitor and DJ headphones that are not especially suitable for portable use. These are:

AIAIAI TMA-1 Studio
KRK KNS 6400
Superlux HD631
Ulrasone HFI-580 and DJ1

There may also be some stand-alone reviews of certain products.

If anyone needs or wants a quick take on any of these right now, please post your request here and I'l be happy to answer your questions.

Thanks!

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #183 of 202
Okay :) how about some SA950i and DTX-501p highlights and maybe what stands out to you comparing the two.

Sep 29, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #184 of 202
Quote:
Okay :) how about some SA950i and DTX-501p highlights and maybe what stands out to you comparing the two.

Sure...both are more or less brand new models so there aren't a lot of reviews available.

They're a little different price-wise, the RHA SA-950i should be selling at about $60 USD and the Beyerdynamic DTX-501p is going for $99 USD. (I'm doubtful that the price on these is going to drop as happened with the DTX-300)

The SA-950i pair that I have is still in the burn-in process so I don't want to say anything too definitive about SQ. They are really lightweight and retro looking. Comfort is good. Build quality is decent for the price. It has a detachable (always a plus) braided fabric cable. The glossy black plastic cups are very prone to fingerprints though. The sound signature (so far) is warm and relaxed (not as much as something like the JVC HA-S650) with a fairly notable roll-off in the high end but a good amount of bass that does not sound bloated. I expected a little brighter sound because of the Titanium drivers. I'll wait to see how they sound after more burn-in to comment further. But so far a nicely made and good sounding compact headphone.

The DTX-501p has really impressed me. This headphone is in no way just an improvement on the mediocre DTX-300, it's a totally differnt headphone. And while the headband and enclosures look very much like the Soundmagic P30 I am certain that the drivers are far better. It's a very non-fatiguing headphone, both in terms of comfort and sound quality. The bass is sufficiently punchy and tight sounding and the highs are just a bit rolled off, but the mids are fantastic. Detail and imaging are impressive. They are very comfortable and also offer surprisingly good isolation, both in terms of blocking out external noise and leakage. I've used them many times during my train commute and they are ideal for that. They are very well made and come with a nice semi-hard carrying case. Also, they really do have the "Beyerdynamic" sound so if you're a fan of theirs you will surely like them. If I had included this in my Compact Roundup, it may have been at the top. Highly recommended.

Sep 29, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #185 of 202
Thanks a bunch for your impressions on the DTX501p, postrock! MUCH appreciated as I'm currently looking for new ultraportables.

If you find some spare time could you do me a favor and listen to some of the following tracks?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KDqg7y2iEo (dubstep)
How's the (sub)bass impact on the DTX501p? Has it enough punch to make your head nod?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgFpHs5dGdg (female voice)
Does Emiliana's voice sound like a kitchen radio?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnkuBUAwfe0 (male voice / guitars)
Does his voice get lost by the guitars?

Thanks a bunch and best regards!
bearmann

Sep 29, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #186 of 202
Quote:
Eskuche 33-i
RHA CA-200
RHA SA-950i

postrock, would you say that the 33-i is similar in SQ to the 33 1/3 they put out previously?  I just scored a used pair of those on the cheap... not too impressed with the severe V-sig so far.

As for the Reid Heaths, just received an MA350 yesterday.  Good initial impressions on it.  I'm hoping to have that review done soon, at which time I'll want to request the SA950i and CA200 for review as well.

Quote:
If anyone needs or wants a quick take on any of these right now, please post your request here and I'l be happy to answer your questions.

Thanks!

Nope, you're busy enough man.  Consider my lack of a request as support for finishing up the mega review. 
wink.gif

Sep 30, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #187 of 202
Quote:
Thanks a bunch for your impressions on the DTX501p, postrock! MUCH appreciated as I'm currently looking for new ultraportables.

If you find some spare time could you do me a favor and listen to some of the following tracks?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KDqg7y2iEo (dubstep)
How's the (sub)bass impact on the DTX501p? Has it enough punch to make your head nod?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgFpHs5dGdg (female voice)
Does Emiliana's voice sound like a kitchen radio?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnkuBUAwfe0 (male voice / guitars)
Does his voice get lost by the guitars?

Thanks a bunch and best regards!
bearmann

No problem,

The sub-bass on the dubstep track is adequately punchy and clean sounding but these are not going to sound like a Beats or ATH-M50 with techno and dubstep. They're also a lot more revealing so there's a trade-off.

Keep in mind that I listened to these through the standard headphone out and soundcard from my laptop and YouTube audio files are not always the best...

The DTX-501p is most impressive with vocals, whether male of female. There is great presence and enough body to effectively separate voices from other instruments. As I've stated before the mids are superb for this class of headphone. You can't lose if you want a lightweight portable set that is perfect for commuting...

For anyone interested, Dale Thorn (who does some blogging I believe) wrote a pretty thorough review on Amazon and used a ton of music references.

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-DTX-501P-Lightweight-Black/product-reviews/B0091TA5EW/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_summary?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Sep 30, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #188 of 202
Quote:

postrock, would you say that the 33-i is similar in SQ to the 33 1/3 they put out previously?  I just scored a used pair of those on the cheap... not too impressed with the severe V-sig so far.

As for the Reid Heaths, just received an MA350 yesterday.  Good initial impressions on it.  I'm hoping to have that review done soon, at which time I'll want to request the SA950i and CA200 for review as well.

Nope, you're busy enough man.  Consider my lack of a request as support for finishing up the mega review. 
wink.gif

Hey warrenpchi,

I haven't heard the original 33 1/3. Eskuche says they upgraded some components, but I don't know if this includes the drivers. For the most part this model is not the budget surprise that the Kassette is. It can sound dull at times, and also peaks in certain midranges. I couldn't even say mine have a V-sig because the highs are so rolled off. It's an ok "fashion" headphone and the kids that buy them from UrbanOutfitters, etc. probably won't care - but it's especially disappointing because of how much I like the Kassette.

As for the RHA's, I'm sure you'll find things to like about both on-ear models. I will say the CA-200 is up there with the best heaphones for $30 USD, even though it has some quirks. I may even like it more than the more expensive SA-950i, not sure yet.

Sep 30, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #189 of 202
Quote:
No problem,

The sub-bass on the dubstep track is adequately punchy and clean sounding but these are not going to sound like a Beats or ATH-M50 with techno and dubstep. They're also a lot more revealing so there's a trade-off.

Keep in mind that I listened to these through the standard headphone out and soundcard from my laptop and YouTube audio files are not always the best...

The DTX-501p is most impressive with vocals, whether male of female. There is great presence and enough body to effectively separate voices from other instruments. As I've stated before the mids are superb for this class of headphone. You can't lose if you want a lightweight portable set that is perfect for commuting...

For anyone interested, Dale Thorn (who does some blogging I believe) wrote a pretty thorough review on Amazon and used a ton of music references.

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-DTX-501P-Lightweight-Black/product-reviews/B0091TA5EW/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_summary?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Thanks a bunch, postrock! I think I'll give it a try and buy those cans. :) Heck, it's my birthday in 3 days so I should treat myself to a nice pair of headphones... :wink:

best regards.
bearmann

Sep 30, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #190 of 202
Quote:

I haven't heard the original 33 1/3. Eskuche says they upgraded some components, but I don't know if this includes the drivers. For the most part this model is not the budget surprise that the Kassette is. It can sound dull at times, and also peaks in certain midranges. I couldn't even say mine have a V-sig because the highs are so rolled off. It's an ok "fashion" headphone and the kids that buy them from UrbanOutfitters, etc. probably won't care - but it's especially disappointing because of how much I like the Kassette.

As for the RHA's, I'm sure you'll find things to like about both on-ear models. I will say the CA-200 is up there with the best heaphones for $30 USD, even though it has some quirks. I may even like it more than the more expensive SA-950i, not sure yet.

Based on your 33i impressions above, I'd say that they made the drivers even worse (if that is possible).  Being from L.A. as well, I'd love to have some local pride in Eskuche... but they make that very hard SQ-wise.

I'm hoping that they'll let me review both the CA200 and the SA950i.  Depends on their timetable really, as my reviews tend to take a little (i.e. a lot) of time. 
wink.gif

Nov 24, 2012 at 6:56 AM Post #192 of 202
anyone compare Koss Portapro's vs Wesc Pick-Up?

i was reading about on ALO audio and noticed those Wesc Pick-Ups.

and their design looks WAAAY similar to Koss portapros, the way they fold and everything.

but by sound, how do they compare to the 1980 famous Koss Portapro?

Nov 24, 2012 at 8:29 AM Post #193 of 202
So I own the House of Marley Exodus, I like the feel of it, quite unique, but when comparing the sound to other headphones it's a bit overly muffled/dark for me, Was wondering if the dtx501p would be a slightly clearer sounding option for me? Or are the highs similar?

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #195 of 202
Maybe postrock has forgotten about us?  He hasn't been here for over 3 months now...
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back