Chord Hugo
Feb 7, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #166 of 15,694

I'm getting the same problem. The optical port seems so recessed within the casing that the optical connectors i have are not clicking and i am getting no connection.

I contacted Chord about this, they got back promptly and straightforwardly with;

"   When new the optical connectors can be quite tight. You should be able to push the supplied cable in until it clicks. As long as it is a tight fit it will be fine and work."

Feb 7, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #167 of 15,694
Well from all the portable amps that I own, none can properly drive the HD800 to how they should sound. I have tried at home using the Lumin or Hex as source to my drawer full of portable amps, so I didn't really need a reference as in A/B'ing

Feb 7, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #168 of 15,694
I heard the Hugo today.

RWAK 120-S > SPdif > Hugo > Sennheiser HD800 with Siltech Duchess cable.

The best I have heard the HD800s driven by a portable device. The Hugo has a full size component sound, and for me betters every portable amp that I have heard the HD800 with.

I also heard the Hugo, as a DAC in a speaker set up, and again, first portable device that has scale, and am able to fully fill out the soundstage. Completely at home in a speaker set up. 

Very exciting device for portable audio!

Very nice impression Gavin
Many talk about the recess RCA connectors and optical , my concern can not use my Shunyata RCA ?
Did you use what kind of RCA connector for your home rigs ?

Feb 7, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #169 of 15,694
Very nice impression Gavin
Many talk about the recess RCA connectors and optical , my concern can not use my Shunyata RCA ?
Did you use what kind of RCA connector for your home rigs ?

No idea what RCA cables were used as I was at a HIFI store with my friend who bought the Hugo....the folks at the store integrated the Hugo into the system.

Feb 7, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #171 of 15,694
No idea what RCA cables were used as I was at a HIFI store with my friend who bought the Hugo....the folks at the store integrated the Hugo into the system.

Thank you Gavin

This recess RCA connector like my first portable amp from headroom 1995

It is really difficult to use different RCA connector , at that time I can use only

Burmester RCA cable

Feb 7, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #172 of 15,694
  I heard the Hugo today.

The best I have heard the HD800s driven by a portable device. The Hugo has a full size component sound, and for me betters every portable amp that I have heard the HD800 with.

I also heard the Hugo, as a DAC in a speaker set up, and again, first portable device that has scale, and am able to fully fill out the soundstage. Completely at home in a speaker set up. 

This is the rig spkrs01 and myself listened to. I asked Vinnie to mod the RWAK120S with a coax spdif output for the JH3A and now it really came in handy for the Hugo. As Gavin said, Hugo is the best portable amp I heard when paired with the HD800. I'm quite comfortable with this pairing even after gotten used to ALO Studio Six driving the HD800s. Letting it run for a few more days before I do some critical listening with my desktop setups.

Feb 7, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #174 of 15,694
If the sound is back to normal over the weekend then it's not a Hugo issue. I have my fingers crossed!

I'm back from work and the brightness has gone, so it was just a local issue that affected me even when running the entire headphone system on battery...  That's the bad news (for me), but there's nothing wrong with the Hugo, which is the good news.

Feb 7, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #175 of 15,694

I'm back from work and the brightness has gone, so it was just a local issue that affected me even when running the entire headphone system on battery...  That's the bad news (for me), but there's nothing wrong with the Hugo, which is the good news.

Good to hear. I look forward to more impressions. 

Feb 7, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #176 of 15,694
  I heard the Hugo today.

wow, good to read that you like the pairing with HD800,  I think it is a testament that this portable device does have a good amp section as well.

It looks like Chord has set a new and impossible high standard for portable gear...

Feb 7, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #179 of 15,694
It's been a bit more than a week of breaking in and listening to the Hugo at this point. I'm willing to go out on a limb here and say this package finally brings high end audio into the portable world.

More than a few times on the road while listening I would go "yup, uh uh, that's it" instead of "hmm nope, missed that and not quite" that I get from portables.

Portable means anything under a pound in case you die hard junkies are lugging desktop gear around with massive battery packs :)

Feb 7, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #180 of 15,694
Sean did u have time to hear it? Would love to read your thoughts
Actually no! It was just a presentation. I'll need to figure out how to hear it. I brought my Alpha Dogs specifically to listen to it. But now I have to attend another presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back