Chord Hugo
Feb 6, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #151 of 15,694
Still trying to find "decent" ones and decent optical at the moment. Obviously the supplied one fits but sceptical of its quality.

Regards

Phil

So Chord RCA's don't fit?! Do the holes need to be much bigger? Ahrgh.. I hoped that i could avoid it.. but now I know that I have to do some metal work on the Hugo's casing..

Feb 6, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #152 of 15,694
So Chord RCA's don't fit?! Do the holes need to be much bigger? Ahrgh.. I hoped that i could avoid it.. but now I know that I have to do some metal work on the Hugo's casing..

If it weren't for the optical volume wheel, I'd be tempted to make a lower-profile case for the Hugo (when I can eventually afford one)
smile.gif

Feb 6, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #153 of 15,694
I've now downloaded all the DSD128 samplers from 2L and I'm playing them back using my ipad mini with the Onkyo HF Player. I also got them showing up as purple to start with, then changed the settings to DoP within the app and now the LED is white.  I got the 24/96 equivalents as well to compare them, but the FLAC files use metadata to identify the song, and the DSD files use the filename so I can't match them up.  I don't know if that's a 2L thing or an Onkyo thing.  Despite that it was far easier to get DSD working on the ipad than doing the same thing previously on my PC.

I've discovered that either the Onkyo app or the Hugo raises the volume slowly after I've switched from DSD (HD tab) to mp3 (ipod tab).  I know why it's doing it, but I'm not sure why it waits for the next song to start and then does it slowly and audibly during the first few seconds.  The Hugo is also sounding a little bright now, regardless of input or file type, which is a big no-no for me.  I really hope the sound balances out again.

Feb 6, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #155 of 15,694
Hi all, question on the Hugo amp. Since the DAC is the strong element, would any existing PORTABLE amp be an upgrade vs. the onboard amp? I am thinking of the best portable amps such as Portaphile 627, Vorzamp Pure II, RSA-71b, Wagnus, etc...

If the amp section is already up for the job to drive ciem, I dont think adding another portable amp will make a "day and nite" difference...
I could be wrong...

Feb 7, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #158 of 15,694
Hi Stormfriend

May I know which phones are you using?

I'm using HD800s. I've had problems with brightness in almost everything I've tried so far (source and amp wise) which I eventually traced to noise on my mains supply. The brightness occurs most on weekday tea times and then goes away later. It's part of the reason I went with the Hugo as I can run it off the grid. Both iPad and Hugo were on battery last night, but now I think about it the Hugo was electrically connected to devices that were plugged into a regenerator, which was then plugged into the wall. It may be that, or it may just be me (something I ate affecting my hearing), but the system had been rich and ballsy up to that point so I was a little taken aback. If the sound is back to normal over the weekend then it's not a Hugo issue. I have my fingers crossed!

My iPod and phone have never sounded bright, even with the HD800s, but then their treble isn't the most extended. I've never listened to them whilst plugged into the mains.

Feb 7, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #159 of 15,694
So u were listening to Hugo while it was charging? Just wondering if there is a switch to turn on/off charging?

Feb 7, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #160 of 15,694
I will be amping my Hugo with the tu-05 once my Hugo arrives. Will also compare the Hugo directly to the ZX1.

Looking forward to hear your comments on this set-up.

Feb 7, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #162 of 15,694
The name is terrible... sorry but I like my ''groan jokes'' to be few and far in-between, one offs and definitely far away from devices that cost in excess of £1000.

The volume is a concern, how do you put something in your pocket and mess with it like that... from what I see you rotate the colourful circle thingy?

Feb 7, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #163 of 15,694
Worried that you might be questioned if you're standing on the train twirling your fingers around a large bulk in your pocket.... is very strange that they thought to go that route with its ideal being a portable one... glad they mentioned bluetooth, could have been left out as the technology obviously isn't ready for audio yet.... thinking I'll wait for the next version before going all out on this, not sure if I'll consider the AK240 to go with it or stick with the 120.

Feb 7, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #164 of 15,694
I heard the Hugo today.

RWAK 120-S > SPdif > Hugo > Sennheiser HD800 with Siltech Duchess cable.

The best I have heard the HD800s driven by a portable device. The Hugo has a full size component sound, and for me betters every portable amp that I have heard the HD800 with.

I also heard the Hugo, as a DAC in a speaker set up, and again, first portable device that has scale, and am able to fully fill out the soundstage. Completely at home in a speaker set up. 

Very exciting device for portable audio!

Feb 7, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #165 of 15,694
  I heard the Hugo today.

RWAK 120-S > SPdif > Hugo > Sennheiser HD800 with Siltech Duchess cable.

The best I have heard the HD800s driven by a portable device. The Hugo has a full size component sound, and for me betters every portable amp that I have heard the HD800 with.

I also heard the Hugo, as a DAC in a speaker set up, and again, first portable device that has scale, and am able to fully fill out the soundstage. Completely at home in a speaker set up. 

Very exciting device for portable audio!

Did you compare the hugo's amp section to other amps? As in just hugo w/ hd800 vs hugo line out to another amp w/ hd800?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back