Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 6, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #14,491 of 35,472
This is off-topic, but is there a similar thread to this, but for Chinese cellphones?  I'm wondering if there are some gems in the Chinese cellphone market that punch way above price compared to LG/Motorola/Samsung/Sony/etc.

I own the one plus one unlocked and 64 gigs for ~350$
I've had it for half a year and it hasn't failed me once.
It has an app called audiofx, which is hardware accelerated
The output chip is by yamaha
Output is good

Feb 6, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #14,492 of 35,472

Well I modded my IM-02 and don't really listen to it stock. A little better for the stock IM-02 from a quick comparison between the IM-02 and DUNU where the IM-02 is mid-forward vs. the slight recession of the Titan-1 and the DUNU may actually have some more height to the stage from top to bottom. Titan-1 holds it's own nicely and is not far behind. Both are high value phones.

Modded it stomps the Titan-1. Really need to stay away from the IM-02 for a while to appreciate the DUNU again. I appreciate the DUNU for it's quality but don't enjoy it as much as some others are able to. A strange recipe for the IM-02 but it worked out to be probably #1 all on my list. Hard to get too excited about the Titan-1 sometimes but nothing against it :)

DUNU almost nailed it. Just needed to include a couple of longer tip options like bi- or tri-flanges since they can't fit that deeply for those who may need it.

@jant71 what did you mod on your IM-02? The upgraded cable, or something else?

Feb 6, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #14,493 of 35,472
Feb 6, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #14,494 of 35,472
^  Yeah, what he said :) Impedance, front filter dampening, and EQ to taste.

Could go as far as finding the optimal impedance since it becomes extremely  bright and the stock cable is clearly holding them back but I stumbled on to this recipe and it works so I'm not looking to mess with it. Besides most cables for the IM series are looking to add silver and brighten the IM03 and IM04 which would not work in the recipe except to take the place of the added impedance but not in addition to it.

Stock cable also stiffens in the cold and the Ety cable adapter adds length but I have been around long enough to be wary of messing with stuff. A recipe can be quite fickle and you can come out worse or not any better sometimes. Changing things can actually ruin the synergy.

It is one of the more different recipes. Adding that amount of impedance and getting such a unrelentingly bright and clean almost sterile sound and working it backwards to the right sound. No real rules just gotta get to where you want to be I guess!

Feb 6, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #14,497 of 35,472
Here are the AG-R1's in my ears, with hook and without. They sit pretty flush. My camera produces a slight fisheye effect up close, so keep that in mind (my ears are average size, maybe smaller than they appear here) [EDIT: I screwed up L & R in the first shots, thanks to the guy who caught it...]:

Here is the new cable, about as tight as it will sit coiled without doing a spontaneous twist-flip:

Here is the cable up close. You can see the wrapped cloth kind of texture:

I'll see if they grow on me. I'm on the fence about keeping them, but I'm definitely enjoying them at the moment.

Feb 6, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #14,499 of 35,472
  Here are the AG-R1's in my ears, with hook and without. They sit pretty flush. My camera produces a slight fisheye effect up close, so keep that in mind (my ears are average size, maybe smaller than they appear here):

Here is the new cable, about as tight as it will sit coiled without doing a spontaneous twist-flip:

I'll see if they grow on me. I'm on the fence about keeping them, but I'm definitely enjoying them at the moment.

Same cable as on the Holy Serpent and other phones. Seem to be very popular cable, atm.

I guess the braided one had some issues develop?

Feb 6, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #14,500 of 35,472
  I run it with an Ety P to S adapter and Large Ostry OS300 tuning tips and I run it out of my Sony A15 with ClearAudio+ on for a good synergy to complete the recipe :)

Not quite the same thing. Different driver set-up, IIRC, TWFK vs. large/small driver. IM02 wants to be thicker and warmer sounding. Not as tall, lean and clean, nor as airy. More bass but less speed and clarity from my memory of the CK10. CK10 was more treble slanted and had more treble reach but less bass reach than the IM-02. Harder to run the CK10 unamped from certain sources and get satisfying bass esp. in outside conditions/external noise. My mods push the im02 towards and even past the CK10 in terms of brightness, clarity, and transparency and it actually needs to be reigned in. OS300 dampens treble as does Sony's (Un)ClearAudio+ which is actually muddy with most phones and tends to do the opposite of it's name.

Actually, just read your post in the other thread. In short, I think the IM-02 is not as "vivid" as the CK10 but can be if tweaked or paired with brighter components. Other-wise darker and tamer sounding which sounds less alive to me which led to playing around and tweaking it.

I couldn't think of another word besides vivid to describe what I was hearing. It was surgical precision. its like putting on my eye glasses for the first time and seeing (rather) hearing clearly. It was great :)

If the IM02 is even in the same ballpark as the CK10, it would make for a good iem right? I was able to hear both the Japanese legends. Sony EX1000 and ATH CK10. I haven't heard balanced armature sets before so I don't have much experience with them. Thanks for the breakdown and mod details :)

Feb 6, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #14,501 of 35,472
  Here are the AG-R1's in my ears, with hook and without. They sit pretty flush. My camera produces a slight fisheye effect up close, so keep that in mind (my ears are average size, maybe smaller than they appear here):

I'll see if they grow on me. I'm on the fence about keeping them, but I'm definitely enjoying them at the moment

Hey buddy, you have the channels mixed. Youre wearing the right side on the left, and the left on the right. 

Feb 6, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #14,503 of 35,472

Hey bud how are you finding the a151 2nd gen? It seems to be on sale at the moment. 

It's fabulous.

Dare I say that it has a similar tuning to the HD600? No, it's not the same sound quality ($400 open cans vs a $50 BA IEM), but it has a similar signature. It is very easy to fall in love with this tuning.

It's very balanced with a slight tilt towards warm. Treble is spot on. Cymbals sound very natural for a BA driver. Its crisp and not harsh at all. Mids are great with no noticable veil whatsoever. Bass is linear and with fast attack and decay and is not lacking (with a good seal). It's not basshead stuff by any means, but there's enough bass, and it's of very good quality.

The conception I once had was that a single BA driver can't sound really great. That myth has been busted twice. First with the CustomArt Music One, and now with the A151p 2nd Generation.

I'll be writing a review on them. For now I'm going to spend time enjoying them for what they are. I highly recommend them.

Feb 6, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #14,504 of 35,472
It's fabulous.

Dare I say that it has a similar tuning to the HD600? No, it's not the same sound quality ($400 open cans vs a $50 BA IEM), but it has a similar signature. It is very easy to fall in love with this tuning.

It's very balanced with a slight tilt towards warm. Treble is spot on. Cymbals sound very natural for a BA driver. Its crisp and not harsh at all. Mids are great with no noticable veil whatsoever. Bass is linear and with fast attack and decay and is not lacking (with a good seal). It's not basshead stuff by any means, but there's enough bass, and it's of very good quality.

The conception I once had was that a single BA driver can't sound really great. That myth has been busted twice. First with the CustomArt Music One, and now with the A151p 2nd Generation.

I'll be writing a review on them. For now I'm going to spend time enjoying them for what they are. I highly recommend them.
can you compare the second gens to the first gens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back