Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 5, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #14,477 of 35,472
So my Chinese DIY in some garage quad BA driver IEMs are here. Initial impressions are positive, wide sound stage rivaling my fostex cans in the mids and highs, its weird but the bass feels like it is on a different soundstage which is smaller, mid forward, highly responsive, musical, bass is tip dependent, and over all very detailed. I made a quick unboxing video for anyone interested.

Feb 5, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #14,478 of 35,472
So my Chinese DIY in some garage quad BA driver IEMs are here. Initial impressions are positive, wide sound stage rivaling my fostex cans in the mids and highs, its weird but the bass feels like it is on a different soundstage which is smaller, mid forward, highly responsive, musical, bass is tip dependent, and over all very detailed. I made a quick unboxing video for anyone interested.

This is the same thing as the TTPOD T2 ...just bass is on a very small soundstage....weird. Is this the thing of BA drivers ? Or just some pairs

Feb 5, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #14,479 of 35,472
The soundstage on these is great, so I when describe the bass soundstage as "smaller", smaller in this case is similar to the s-018. The bass that shows up is fantastic, detailed, and organic, but most of the bass went on vacation. I really do not know if smaller bass soundstage is a BA driver inherent characteristic...(its my first pair, and the only ones I have heard). I do know less bass is a common BA thing with lower priced BA IEMs. It costs money to engineer for more drivers and split the signal.

Feb 5, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #14,480 of 35,472
WOW that's insane. Even I can't pass on one at that price ($44 shipped in US).

Then again, big price drops on FiiO items tend to be frequent after the initial new release craze dies down. This just seems to soon for the E11K.

More info on the FiiO sale at Head-Direct.  I just realized the E12 is down to $69.99!:

http://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=252

The next lowest price I've seen on the E12 was around $89 on a very limited Black Friday sale. 

I called Head-Direct's US number this afternoon to see if I could add the E12 to my (not yet shipped) order for an E11K.  I was told these are actually clearance prices because Head-Direct is dropping the FiiO line.  I was also told the E11K's are shipping from the China, but they currently have E12's in stock in the US. 

The odd thing is that I just received my tracking number for the E11K, and mine was actually shipped from Dubai, of all places.  It seems they also shipped it DHL Express, which is great considering I was charged only $6 for shipping. 

Feb 5, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #14,485 of 35,472
Thanks, I'll probably pick one up then. Love my nx1 but wouldn't mind something better and bass boost is a plus.
Can anyone comment on how well the e12 handles emi? That was a real put off for me when using the nx1 and my phone :frowning2:

Feb 5, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #14,486 of 35,472
Try to get a demo of Fiio if you plan purchase. idk how someone would feel going from neutral amp to warmer amp which allegedly colors the sound a bit. I personally haven't tried but this seems to be the general opinion.

Feb 6, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #14,487 of 35,472
Well I modded my IM-02 and don't really listen to it stock. A little better for the stock IM-02 from a quick comparison between the IM-02 and DUNU where the IM-02 is mid-forward vs. the slight recession of the Titan-1 and the DUNU may actually have some more height to the stage from top to bottom. Titan-1 holds it's own nicely and is not far behind. Both are high value phones.

Modded it stomps the Titan-1. Really need to stay away from the IM-02 for a while to appreciate the DUNU again. I appreciate the DUNU for it's quality but don't enjoy it as much as some others are able to. A strange recipe for the IM-02 but it worked out to be probably #1 all on my list. Hard to get too excited about the Titan-1 sometimes but nothing against it :)

DUNU almost nailed it. Just needed to include a couple of longer tip options like bi- or tri-flanges since they can't fit that deeply for those who may need it.

What exactly have you modded on your im02? I just ordered mine some days ago and i'm curious :wink: .

Feb 6, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #14,489 of 35,472

Well I modded my IM-02 and don't really listen to it stock. A little better for the stock IM-02 from a quick comparison between the IM-02 and DUNU where the IM-02 is mid-forward vs. the slight recession of the Titan-1 and the DUNU may actually have some more height to the stage from top to bottom. Titan-1 holds it's own nicely and is not far behind. Both are high value phones.

Modded it stomps the Titan-1. Really need to stay away from the IM-02 for a while to appreciate the DUNU again. I appreciate the DUNU for it's quality but don't enjoy it as much as some others are able to. A strange recipe for the IM-02 but it worked out to be probably #1 all on my list. Hard to get too excited about the Titan-1 sometimes but nothing against it :)

DUNU almost nailed it. Just needed to include a couple of longer tip options like bi- or tri-flanges since they can't fit that deeply for those who may need it.

Thats awesome to hear. I was able to hear the CK10 last night and it was sublime. the IM02 is its successor right? 

Feb 6, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #14,490 of 35,472
What exactly have you modded on your im02? I just ordered mine some days ago and i'm curious
wink.gif

I run it with an Ety P to S adapter and Large Ostry OS300 tuning tips and I run it out of my Sony A15 with ClearAudio+ on for a good synergy to complete the recipe :)

Thats awesome to hear. I was able to hear the CK10 last night and it was sublime. the IM02 is its successor right? 

Not quite the same thing. Different driver set-up, IIRC, TWFK vs. large/small driver. IM02 wants to be thicker and warmer sounding. Not as tall, lean and clean, nor as airy. More bass but less speed and clarity from my memory of the CK10. CK10 was more treble slanted and had more treble reach but less bass reach than the IM-02. Harder to run the CK10 unamped from certain sources and get satisfying bass esp. in outside conditions/external noise. My mods push the im02 towards and even past the CK10 in terms of brightness, clarity, and transparency and it actually needs to be reigned in. OS300 dampens treble as does Sony's (Un)ClearAudio+ which is actually muddy with most phones and tends to do the opposite of it's name.

Actually, just read your post in the other thread. In short, I think the IM-02 is not as "vivid" as the CK10 but can be if tweaked or paired with brighter components. Other-wise darker and tamer sounding which sounds less alive to me which led to playing around and tweaking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back