Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 5, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #14,446 of 35,472
  Speaking of which, where is our S-018 super-hyper?
I haven't seen @HouseOfDoom lately...I wonder where he went? 
confused_face_2.gif

He has been banned I believe. You should give the sound souls a try if yu haven't already, with a wide bore tip they are great. At this point I prefer them to my havi and vsd3. I am not saying that its better than them, but I enjoy listening to it more. For one thing the VSD3 construction is atrocious at best and my brand new exchanged VSD3 is already showing issues. It feels like its always about to fall apart. VSD3 is boomy as hell and gives me a headache tbh

The sound soul is my favourite purchase by far

Feb 5, 2015 at 3:50 AM Post #14,447 of 35,472
He has been banned I believe. You should give the sound souls a try if yu haven't already, with a wide bore tip they are great. At this point I prefer them to my havi and vsd3. I am not saying that its better than them, but I enjoy listening to it more. For one thing the VSD3 construction is atrocious at best and my brand new exchanged VSD3 is already showing issues. It feels like its always about to fall apart. VSD3 is boomy as hell and gives me a headache tbh

The sound soul is my favourite purchase by far

Ehh, I neither have the Havi or VSD3, so I can't really say anything on that. I'll wait until my wallet recovers before I buy anything, though; I just bought a new iPod and my wallet's in pretty bad shape at the moment. 
tongue.gif

Feb 5, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #14,448 of 35,472
Alright ill soon be buying a new pair of iem's for around the $50 range. I've looked into the ttpod t1-e as a possible purchase. I mainly listen to R&B but I do change it around with EDM (Monstercat) and pop (the killers, kings of Leon). I'm coming off a pair a KZ DT5's as well

Feb 5, 2015 at 5:40 AM Post #14,449 of 35,472
Alright ill soon be buying a new pair of iem's for around the $50 range. I've looked into the ttpod t1-e as a possible purchase. I mainly listen to R&B but I do change it around with EDM (Monstercat) and pop (the killers, kings of Leon). I'm coming off a pair a KZ DT5's as well
Also in addition to the ttpod t1-e ive also been pondering on getting the tennmark ie 800's they seems to have glowing reviews.

Feb 5, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #14,450 of 35,472

T1E's are good for EDM IMO. I have those and EDM genre sounds nice and punchy. 
Might need lot of tip rolling though.. 

Feb 5, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #14,451 of 35,472
  So far the HS V9 share a lot of similarities with the S-018. Some tip rolling gets them to sound almost identical. The only slight difference they have from one another is that the V9 has a broader soundstage while the S-018 has a louder upper mid. But, we're talking ever so slightly. Bass impact sounds basically the same. They both sound similar in more ways than I can say. The wires on both of them feel and look practically the same.

Here are some picks next to each other and other photos of the V9's.....

Definitely, a good purchase!  
etysmile.gif

Looks very nice indeed! So basically S-018 with a wider sound stage and detachable cable? :)

Feb 5, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #14,453 of 35,472

Looks very nice indeed! So basically S-018 with a wider sound stage and detachable cable? :)

And the HS V9 might be an option to those who couldnt get the S-018 as easily I guess? At $20 (sometime it has to drop I hope!) if we are lucky it might be a nice IEM.

Wore them today while commuting to work, they seal extremely well from outside noise. 
k701smile.gif
 And they look really stylish too! ......Got a lot of compliments at work.

Feb 5, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #14,456 of 35,472

I love S-018.. But and...I hate the cable....Any plan on upgrading the cables ?

Yeah the cable is the worst. Recabling such a low-end IEM just doesn't make sense to me though.

The cable is definitely too rigid and still coils back to original shape just like the day I bought it. Good of them to include the clip. It really comes in handy to tame the cable.
Some KZ IEM's like the EDSE, ES, ED8, etc have a pretty awesome cable that becomes less stiff over time, like the cable on the Vsonic GR07.

The S-018 still blows me away. It reveals as much source on the high end as any IEM or headphone I own. Too bad Sound Soul never recreated this great SQ in other models.

Feb 5, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #14,458 of 35,472

The cable is definitely too rigid and still coils back to original shape just like the day I bought it. Good of them to include the clip. It really comes in handy to tame the cable.
Some KZ IEM's like the EDSE, ES, ED8, etc have a pretty awesome cable that becomes less stiff over time, like the cable on the Vsonic GR07.

The S-018 still blows me away. It reveals as much source on the high end as any IEM or headphone I own. Too bad Sound Soul never recreated this great SQ in other models.

I hear ya. The cable is really getting on my nerves but the sound quality makes up for it. Was listening to it last night while doing laundry with some wide bore tips and I think I have finally heard what they are truly capable of. My new toy syndrome has worn off couple of weeks ago so now I can say abashedly that I like it more than my VSD3 and as much as my B3 if not more. 

I am looking forward to its next iteration and I hope they don't fluff it up. Mind you I paid 20 dollars for it, not the 7 bucks it was before and I am still happy and got my moneys worth. And then some. Both my VSD3 and Havi stay in their carry cases while The Sound Soul get the most play. I still use the pro 1 time to time for vocal music and soft acoustic music for the sound stage. 

Feb 5, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #14,459 of 35,472
I've been listening to the Au-Glamour AG-R1. Not much to add to Twister6's excellent review, which I agree with an all fronts. I wouldn't be able to do a review like that anyway, but I hope it's OK that I reposted the link:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/general/accessories/review-auglamour-ag-r1-ear-headphones-t2962825

Bass is a little hard to discern, even compared to the neutral sound of the Havi B3 Pro I. I like the instrument separation on them, though. They seem to separate mid-range textures well. Listening to some metal, with some of the guitar parts I had the image of those kinds of colored drawings where objects of a solid color are separated by a black line separating them from one another. It's a cold and somewhat vibrant type of separation, but nice. Like the bird on the left, as opposed to the one on the right:

don-binney.jpg

Yesterday I was enjoying listening to them lying down in bed. Then I had to get up to go down to the laundry room and move clothes to the dryer. At that point the lack of bass becomes an issue. What I can barely make out lying down in a silent room becomes totally inaudible when I'm up and moving around outside, even though it's very quiet. The bass seems to drop out, and this was the case when I wore them cooking, too. It's an issue for me with IEMs: what sounds good when listening in my quiet home (where I might as well listen to my over-the-ear headphones) doesn't sound so good when walking outside or while doing things indoors (washing dishes or whatever). Loud streets and public transportation are contexts where I wouldn't even bother to listen, because I have to turn up the volume to levels I consider harmful. Still, I would like to find IEMs that worked for quiet streets, or hiking on a trail, or washing dishes. The bass on the AG-R1's can't seem to overcome these small amounts of atmospheric noise. But it's only been 10 hours, so we'll see.

The wire design has changed for the better since T6's review, as you can see in Penon's current page for them:

http://penonaudio.com/Earphones/In-ear-earphone/AuGlamour-AG-R1

It's kind of like one of those cloth cables, but with a thin rubbery shrink tubing over the outside. Maybe someone who knows wires and cables better than I can say what it is exactly. But it's not as kinky as as the braided design looks to have been. It's soft and floppy enough, with a slight texture to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back