Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 4, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #14,431 of 35,472

So you will go for the Bluedio S3?
I can't decide between a chinese BT 4.0 unit like the S3 and a Sony SBH50 which is BT 3.0, do you think there is a difference in audio quality between 3.0 and 4.0?

There are dozens of these look-a-like bt headsets, and they are all the same re-branded junk that sounds the same.  I get a lot of them sent to me for reviews, and I never even bother writing about it, all the same build and thin sound lacking bass and with rolled off highs.  If you want something that's going to sound good, look for a new "breed" of these headsets supporting BT4.0 and aptX codec.  That will be an easy way to weed out garbage.  aptX codec uses different compression which preserves bandwidth.  Not perfect, but noticeably better in comparison to other ones.

As a matter of fact, I just received and will be reviewing this one:  http://www.amazon.com/iClever-Lightweight-Headphones-Microphone-Transmitter/dp/B00RF27R9I  - it sounds excellent, has angled nozzle (better fitment), and very detailed especially with Spiral Dot tips.  The only problem, and it's common with every single variation of these headsets, you get a driver flex.  The shell is big, housing electronics and no other air vent besides 9 holes in the nozzle itself.  So with a tight seal of eartips (you need it for the low end to come up), you will get air pressure going right into the dynamic driver causing it to flex.  There is no way around it because of micro-usb charging mechanism, battery, and all the BT circuitry stuffed inside of these little shells.

Feb 4, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #14,433 of 35,472

There are dozens of these look-a-like bt headsets, and they are all the same re-branded junk that sounds the same.  I get a lot of them sent to me for reviews, and I never even bother writing about it, all the same build and thin sound lacking bass and with rolled off highs.  If you want something that's going to sound good, look for a new "breed" of these headsets supporting BT4.0 and aptX codec.  That will be an easy way to weed out garbage.  aptX codec uses different compression which preserves bandwidth.  Not perfect, but noticeably better in comparison to other ones.

As a matter of fact, I just received and will be reviewing this one:  http://www.amazon.com/iClever-Lightweight-Headphones-Microphone-Transmitter/dp/B00RF27R9I  - it sounds excellent, has angled nozzle (better fitment), and very detailed especially with Spiral Dot tips.  The only problem, and it's common with every single variation of these headsets, you get a driver flex.  The shell is big, housing electronics and no other air vent besides 9 holes in the nozzle itself.  So with a tight seal of eartips (you need it for the low end to come up), you will get air pressure going right into the dynamic driver causing it to flex.  There is no way around it because of micro-usb charging mechanism, battery, and all the BT circuitry stuffed inside of these little shells.

I would have wait for your review as the Amazon comments are contradictory, but my friend is going to NY next Monday and I have to place an order for IEM BT tomorrow.
You said what I was afraid of about these cheap clones (20 to 35$) on Amazon, I even found a reviewer that posted the same 5 stars review (copy/paste) for perhaps 10 different earphones from Bluedio, looks like he was paid to do that.
So I will choose the easy solution and pick a Sony SBH50, at least I can plug my Hifiman and pray that the TRRS plug will work directly.
Btw can we find spares of angled nozzle tips? If yes under what name should I search for?

Feb 4, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #14,434 of 35,472
So far the HS V9 share a lot of similarities with the S-018. Some tip rolling gets them to sound almost identical. The only slight difference they have from one another is that the V9 has a broader soundstage while the S-018 has a louder upper mid. But, we're talking ever so slightly. Bass impact sounds basically the same. They both sound similar in more ways than I can say. The wires on both of them feel and look practically the same.

Here are some picks next to each other and other photos of the V9's.....

Definitely, a good purchase!  
etysmile.gif

Feb 4, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #14,435 of 35,472

I would have wait for your review as the Amazon comments are contradictory, but my friend is going to NY next Monday and I have to place an order for IEM BT tomorrow.
You said what I was afraid of about these cheap clones (20 to 35$) on Amazon, I even found a reviewer that posted the same 5 stars review (copy/paste) for perhaps 10 different earphones from Bluedio, looks like he was paid to do that.
So I will choose the easy solution and pick a Sony SBH50, at least I can plug my Hifiman and pray that the TRRS plug will work directly.
Btw can we find spares of angled nozzle tips? If yes under what name should I search for?

It uses a regular eartips from ANY in-ear headphones, nothing special.  First gen of these copy-cat headsets had a straight nozzle and as a result the whole earpiece was sticking out perpendicular to your ears.  With an angled nozzle, it goes in sideways for a better fitment.  Which HiFiMAN are you planning to use?  If it's RE400, shouldn't be a problem.  If it's RE300A/RE300i - I'm not 100% sure, but hope the input of SBH50 should be able to handle it.  Btw, I heard that SBH50 is pretty good.

Feb 4, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #14,437 of 35,472
  So far the HS V9 share a lot of similarities with the S-018. Some tip rolling gets them to sound almost identical. The only slight difference they have from one another is that the V9 has a broader soundstage while the S-018 has a louder upper mid. But, we're talking ever so slightly. Bass impact sounds basically the same. They both sound similar in more ways than I can say. The wires on both of them feel and look practically the same.

Definitely, a good purchase!  
etysmile.gif

Seems like for the price, the S-018 is really good.  Comparing it to the V9 which is about 3 times the price.  Though I do understand they both have little differences.  

Feb 4, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #14,438 of 35,472
  how is the fit on those HS V9?  in the sales pic at aliexpress, it looks kinda awkward in the girl's ear. 

They come with the double-flange tips as default and seal very well. The rest in the set are triple-flange tips -L, M, S. I would stick with the double-flange, it does fit best for me.
.....Yea, I know what you mean with that girl, there's no justice to that pick compared to how it fits from my experience. 

Feb 4, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #14,439 of 35,472

It uses a regular eartips from ANY in-ear headphones, nothing special.  First gen of these copy-cat headsets had a straight nozzle and as a result the whole earpiece was sticking out perpendicular to your ears.  With an angled nozzle, it goes in sideways for a better fitment.  Which HiFiMAN are you planning to use?  If it's RE400, shouldn't be a problem.  If it's RE300A/RE300i - I'm not 100% sure, but hope the input of SBH50 should be able to handle it.  Btw, I heard that SBH50 is pretty good.

I have the RE-262 and RE-272

Feb 4, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #14,440 of 35,472

how is the fit on those HS V9?  in the sales pic at aliexpress, it looks kinda awkward in the girl's ear. 

They come with the double-flange tips as default and seal very well. The rest in the set are triple-flange tips -L, M, S. I would stick with the double-flange, it does fit best for me.

I think the included tips of very poor quality. I switched to foam tips and all is good. I don't regret getting the S-018. 

Feb 4, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #14,441 of 35,472
  Seems like for the price, the S-018 is really good.  Comparing it to the V9 which is about 3 times the price.  Though I do understand they both have little differences.  

The V9 seems well made for travel and workout and the wires are detachable. I really like both of them, though the price may vary in different countries.

It's funny.....I paid 139 RMB (around $22) for the S-018, and 118 RMB (around $20) for the V9.

Feb 4, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #14,442 of 35,472

The V9 seems well made for travel and workout and the wires are detachable. I really like both of them, though the price may vary in different countries.

It's funny.....I paid 139 RMB (around $22) for the S-018, and 118 RMB (around $20) for the V9.

Oh, that is right, detachable cables are great to have.  Funny that you got the V9 Cheaper.

So, I guess the V9 was actually the "better" deal for you.

Feb 4, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #14,444 of 35,472
^This.
Back on topic is the bass boost on the e11k any good? I'm looking for a port amp with a legit bass boost feature for when I want to enter beast mode with my m50x
wink.gif

You might look into the CHEERLINK SMSL sAp-5 MAX9722
I don't have this, but there have been some good impressions on HeadFi. here is a Amazon link
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MO7G5M4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2IUBAFWLRA1FY&coliid=II7MC4649NMN7
I had it on my wishlist but it has been out of stock for months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back