Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 11, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #4,502 of 35,472

My Pistons mods is documented somewhere in that thread, with pictures.  After I removed the grill and the filter, I closed the nozzle with RE400 stick-on filter - to keep it clean and to tame down high frequencies :wink:  Worked really good!!!

You guys need to start a seperate thread to properly document all the mods.

Jul 11, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #4,503 of 35,472
I wish I could share with the people on this thread just how much fun it is right now going back and forth between the kc06a and the gr07 BE. Guys, the kc06a is awesome for its price. Better than the gr07 BE? In some areas it is, but not a better iem. This battle comes down to signature preference.

Bass crown goes to the gr07 BE. It extends more and gives a little more low end Rumble when called upon. Kc06a is no slouch, but the gr07 BE is just that good.

Low mids are a tie. I can't pick one over the other. Both present themselves differently, with the gr07 BE being more musical, and the kc06a brings a more technical approach.

For mids I have to give it to the kc06a. There's talk about the kc06a having a v signature but IMHO these things bring everything forward. Although the bass might be more present, the mids still sound amazing on the kc06a. I consider the kc06a tuned to have the same mids and treble as the original kc06a with just a slight raise in both the bass and treble.

High mids and treble goes to the kc06a. It retains the same crispness as the original kc06 but with a slight boost. Simply put, the gr07 BE can be sibilant at times, making the kc06a more tolerable all around.

Build quality for me goes to the gr07 BE for a few particular reasons. #1 the gr07 BE has a CINCH CABLE. it doesn't hurt to put a cinch cable on, and I don't understand why many manufacturers don't, Ostry being one of them. #2 The L-shaped plug of the gr07 BE is a better feature than the Ostry straight plug. #3 I also like the adjustable hozzle on the gr07 BE, as it makes it easier to get a more solid and consistent customized fit and isolation.

Accessories I say it's a draw. Vsonic offers a little more than ostry with these, but the filtered tips that come with the kc06a are sweet!

The gr07 BE isolates better than the kc06a.

If I had to pick one I would go with the gr07 BE, but if price was a factor in this situation, I honestly would probably have to go with the $80 usd kc06a over the $130-$180 gr07 BE.

Well done Ostry, the kc06a is a hit!

Jul 11, 2014 at 3:11 AM Post #4,507 of 35,472
anyone tried SK-DK80 before?

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.15.MYfebh&id=39606778951&ns=1#detail

or this DIY generic IEM (not sure whether it's really a BA or just bad translation)

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.140.NmfGAX&id=36419479294&ns=1#detail

worth some shot?

Jul 11, 2014 at 5:10 AM Post #4,508 of 35,472
动圈 (moving coil) is what those in the Chinese audio community refer dynamic drivers as. When you think about the mechanism it makes sense.

Those look spiffy but I'd be hesitant at 50 bones (after conversion). Still....

Anyone hear much about the KC800s that had been mentioned on the Ostry thread? Very little bits and pieces on Erji.

Jul 11, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #4,509 of 35,472
  Looking forward, mo! From what I read about early KC06 and comparing to the one I got now (June build), it sounds like Ostry repackaged and retuned these. Gold should be identical to the original. 

Got reply from Ostry, yes, they repackaged new KC06 but sound signature remained the same.  Will be looking forward to your impression/comparison since you are getting both KC06 and KC06A.  Curious if you will hear the same difference I have.

Jul 11, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #4,510 of 35,472
For mids I have to give it to the kc06a. There's talk about the kc06a having a v signature but IMHO these things bring everything forward. Although the bass might be more present, the mids still sound amazing on the kc06a. I consider the kc06a tuned to have the same mids and treble as the original kc06a with just a slight raise in both the bass and treble.

High mids and treble goes to the kc06a. It retains the same crispness as the original kc06 but with a slight boost. Simply put, the gr07 BE can be sibilant at times, making the kc06a more tolerable all around.

Well done Ostry, the kc06a is a hit!

How many hours to do you have in your KC06A?  Out of the box, and even for the first few hours of burn in my impression of KC06A mids was very similar to your, they actually sounded better in upper mids.  Last night I was doing a closer comparison between KC06 and KC06A after 30hrs of burn in, and KC06A relative to KC06 had more recessed mids.  It wasn't a deep v-signature, but significant enough to notice.  Could be an effect of a boosted bass.  Of course, I never had a chance to listen to GR07 BE, and I assume bass-edition will have a deeper v-sig, so relative to that "A" model has mids forward.  But comparing to KC06, it's slightly recessed, which makes sense because they need to distinguish these with a different sound signature.

On Ostry's page:

They suggest that out of the box you get about 80% of performance, with 90% after short burn in and full 100% after 200hrs.

Jul 11, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #4,511 of 35,472
  动圈 (moving coil) is what those in the Chinese audio community refer dynamic drivers as. When you think about the mechanism it makes sense.

Those look spiffy but I'd be hesitant at 50 bones (after conversion). Still....

Anyone hear much about the KC800s that had been mentioned on the Ostry thread? Very little bits and pieces on Erji.

There's no KC800. at least not from Ostry. it was just a bad joke

Jul 11, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #4,512 of 35,472
How many hours to do you have in your KC06A?  Out of the box, and even for the first few hours of burn in my impression of KC06A mids was very similar to your, they actually sounded better in upper mids.  Last night I was doing a closer comparison between KC06 and KC06A after 30hrs of burn in, and KC06A relative to KC06 had more recessed mids.  It wasn't a deep v-signature, but significant enough to notice.  Could be an effect of a boosted bass.  Of course, I never had a chance to listen to GR07 BE, and I assume bass-edition will have a deeper v-sig, so relative to that "A" model has mids forward.  But comparing to KC06, it's slightly recessed, which makes sense because they need to distinguish these with a different sound signature.

On Ostry's page:

They suggest that out of the box you get about 80% of performance, with 90% after short burn in and full 100% after 200hrs.
Ya, I've only got about 15 hours on these kc06a when doing this comparison, and about 50 hours on the gr07 BE that I used. To be honest, unless I really like an IEM out of the box, or take one particular iem with me out of town, I don't put too many hours on them. To be honest I have too many pair, and too much coming in to really concentrate my attention to one IEM for an extended period of time.

Good problem to have :grin:

Jul 11, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #4,513 of 35,472
I came across this comment by Head-Fi member ClieOS on his website that I found interesting:

Quote:
According to the manufacturer, the original KC06 is tuned with mainstream music in mind while the KC06A is more analytical and meant for instrumental and Classical.

Do the people who have both models feel like OSTRY tuned them this way? I would have expected it to be the other way around based on the comparisons I've read.

Jul 11, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #4,515 of 35,472
IMHO it's the opposite. The kc06 is more analytical, and kc06a is tuned for mainstream music.

Exactly!  If I would have to summarize it in a one sentence, KC06 has a balanced reference sound (not flat neutral, but rather balanced with slight enhancement across the whole FR) while KC06 is balanced with slightly recessed mids and enhanced bass (more sub-bass!!!).  Both have an identical build, stiff wire jacket, wide soundstage, and good isolation with a right set of tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back