Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #13,321 of 35,472
Lol my wife is really annoyed as of why I keep buying headphones.....lolol.

Yeah, my wife too.  Thinking about getting rid of a few of them.  Just too many to listen to.

Jan 8, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #13,323 of 35,472
The woodies are great out in the cold. The S-018 also are great for working out. I've used them, sweat on them, and taken them in 19 degree F temps, and they keep on ticking. A hearty sturdy IEM.

Jan 8, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #13,324 of 35,472
Wood is one of the tough natural resources on earth, very durable, wonder why housing frames are wood? They play very well under extreme temperatures . One thing is certain....do not burn it :joy:

Now, i would worry if someone would want to build a pair of headphones out of bones....any kind of bones lol....

Jan 8, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #13,325 of 35,472
Wood is one of the tough natural resources on earth, very durable, wonder why housing frames are wood? They play very well under extreme temperatures . One thing is certain....do not burn it :joy:

Now, i would worry if someone would want to build a pair of headphones out of bones....any kind of bones lol....

It's all a matter of resonance - how the material reacts to vibration. For any sort of speaker or earphone housing you want a material that absorbs as much vibration as possible (you want the sound to come from the speaker, not the housing), but more importantly you want a material that doesn't have sharp resonant peaks.

This is what happens when you send sound waves through different types of wood:

The denser the wood, the more it absorbs the sound, though you do start seeing sharper peaks and valleys.

This is what happens when you send sound through a similar bar made of aluminium:

(Ignore the blue line, which is a control.) The overall sound absorbtion is similar to the densest wood (the y-axis has been scaled), but the peaks are now much sharper and will cause complex changes to the timbre. The resonant peaks for the wood samples are much broader (in general, though mahogany does seem to have some sharp spikes), which will result in gentler tonal shifts. This is why metal guitars sound very different to wooden ones.

Jan 8, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #13,326 of 35,472
It's all a matter of resonance - how the material reacts to vibration. For any sort of speaker or earphone housing you want a material that absorbs as much vibration as possible (you want the sound to come from the speaker, not the housing), but more importantly you want a material that doesn't have sharp resonant peaks.

This is what happens when you send sound waves through different types of wood:

The denser the wood, the more it absorbs the sound, though you do start seeing sharper peaks and valleys.

This is what happens when you send sound through a similar bar made of aluminium:

(Ignore the blue line, which is a control.) The overall sound absorbtion is similar to the densest wood (the y-axis has been scaled), but the peaks are now much sharper and will cause complex changes to the timbre. The resonant peaks for the wood samples are much broader (in general, though mahogany does seem to have some sharp spikes), which will result in gentler tonal shifts. This is why metal guitars sound very different to wooden ones.

Thank you sir

Jan 8, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #13,327 of 35,472
  I cant understand why the Awei ES-800m does not get that much attention here. 

The ES800 are beaten by a wide margin now by many of the other sub $10 sets recently mentioned here. I have a drawer here of Awei and JBM iems that I never touch. Some are good for up to $25 in value, other models are terrible.

Jan 8, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #13,330 of 35,472
I've pretty much known from the start it was a titanium micro driver. The sound quality was just too good to be much of anything else.

Jan 8, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #13,331 of 35,472
I've pretty much known from the start it was a titanium micro driver. The sound quality was just too good to be much of anything else.

Totally....I love these more than my audio technica IM70...eventhough the im70 is smooth and musical, but the mid details is somewhat lacking. Besides, these are easy on and off. I emailed sound soul asking if they could build these with detachable cords with microphone, and include a pair of comply foam tip...this is just impossible quality for the price. People would happily pay 50-70 for it.....hell if it was built like that and named beats or bose...it could fly with 300$+...they are ridiculously good.

Also do think these needs burn in just as much as KSC75.. Or more, as I do hear more extensions with the burn in...I am approaching 90+ hours and it only gets better

Jan 8, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #13,333 of 35,472
  Yes, too much bass bloat, but definitely not bad.

I need to break all those out again and practically give them away.

@bhazard It was you that started me on this quest for different IEM's, until this thread and the Havi thread I was content with my Full size collection, then I bought the Havi series,VSD series and so on, I love all of them, I also have the ES-Q5 and put UE wide bore tips on them, got rid of the bass bloat and opened up the soundstage. At least in my listening opinion, but I'm new to IEM's. JUst bought the VSD5 and TTPOD 2 also. So much for my wallet LOL.

Jan 8, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #13,334 of 35,472
  @bhazard It was you that started me on this quest for different IEM's, until this thread and the Havi thread I was content with my Full size collection, then I bought the Havi series,VSD series and so on, I love all of them, I also have the ES-Q5 and put UE wide bore tips on them, got rid of the bass bloat and opened up the soundstage. At least in my listening opinion, but I'm new to IEM's. JUst bought the VSD5 and TTPOD 2 also. So much for my wallet LOL.

Yup, thanks to bhazard and others, your wallet is in for a whole lotta pain. But it makes me happy to see others suffering from the same affliction. So thank you for that! 
wink.gif

Jan 8, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #13,335 of 35,472
Totally....I love these more than my audio technica IM70...eventhough the im70 is smooth and musical, but the mid details is somewhat lacking. Besides, these are easy on and off. I emailed sound soul asking if they could build these with detachable cords with microphone, and include a pair of comply foam tip...this is just impossible quality for the price. People would happily pay 50-70 for it.....hell if it was built like that and named beats or bose...it could fly with 300$+...they are ridiculously good.

Also do think these needs burn in just as much as KSC75.. Or more, as I do hear more extensions with the burn in...I am approaching 90+ hours and it only gets better

The only thing they are missing is a bit of air and smoothness. +1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back