Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 30, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #8,433 of 35,472
Hey guys. First post (obviously). At any rate, stumbled onto this thread a few weeks back. Really glad I did. I ordered a few of the 'buds mentioned here. Awei ES-Q9, which I'm still waiting on, and the KZ-ES / KZ-ED package. Received the latter two, and I am loving the ES despite the lack of foams (those should arrive Thursday). ED is meh, but not exactly upset with them given the low price. Build quality seems pretty solid so far, and they're aesthetic pleasing -- I'll likely end up gifting them.

Quick question for you guys: What inexpensive pair of IEMs out of the list would you recommend that have a decent sound stage (not looking for anything remarkable in this price range) and has an in-line mic? I understand that over-ear or even on-ear headphones will have a much greater opportunity in providing width and depth to the sound, and I already have my Philips Fidelio X1/28 w/ V-Moda BoomPro for that. I'm just looking for something a little more discrete / convenient, but maintaining bang-for-buck 0-60 USD range. Thank you all for your time.

Sep 30, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #8,436 of 35,472
Been using the penon gift iems at work today and just wanted to comment on the epic bass! Using foam monster super tips and wearing over ear, good seal and bass is siiiick. Very meelec similar bass, but a bit stronger and not quite as punchy

Sep 30, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #8,438 of 35,472
If the mid-bass on the DM3 is anything like the DGS100, it'll need 1000 hours burn in to settle down and mellow out. Get ready to be hype trained like the DGS100

In terms of mid-bass, DM3 is a significant improvement over other SIDY models (DM2/Penon IEM/DGS100).  Got 12hrs on these already, and they do still impress me very much.  Signature mid-bass hump, let's just call it "SIDY house tuning" is still there and always present but its more narrow band without a heavy weight of the bloat.  I was surprised these settled in rather quickly with bass becoming tighter and more controlled.  If you like neutral bass or not a fan of enhanced bass quantity, none of the SIDY IEMs are for you to begin with.  Regarding upper mids/treble, it does feel a bit recessed now, but just a little bit.  It is NOT bright or harsh like in DGS100.  It's actually smooth, detailed, with a decent clarity, maybe even a bit on a warm side.  Just the fact that I HAVE to use eartips with the wide bore opening can tell you that I want it as bright as possible without holding anything back.  Longer eartip stem with a narrow opening usually attenuates high frequencies thus enhancing lows, here you would want the opposed thus my comment that all the included narrow bore tips are only good if you are craving L-shaped sound.  Soundstage is still better in width than in depth.

Without any bs hype, in my opinion DM3 has the best SIDY's tuning so far.  These guys (SIDY) are definitely on a right track of sound improvement.

Sep 30, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #8,439 of 35,472
In terms of mid-bass, DM3 is a significant improvement over other SIDY models (DM2/Penon IEM/DGS100).  Got 12hrs on these already, and they do still impress me very much.  Signature mid-bass hump, let's just call it "SIDY house tuning" is still there and always present but its more narrow band without a heavy weight of the bloat.  I was surprised these settled in rather quickly with bass becoming tighter and more controlled.  If you like neutral bass or not a fan of enhanced bass quantity, none of the SIDY IEMs are for you to begin with.  Regarding upper mids/treble, it does feel a bit recessed now, but just a little bit.  It is NOT bright or harsh like in DGS100.  It's actually smooth, detailed, with a decent clarity, maybe even a bit on a warm side.  Just the fact that I HAVE to use eartips with the wide bore opening can tell you that I want it as bright as possible without holding anything back.  Longer eartip stem with a narrow opening usually attenuates high frequencies thus enhancing lows, here you would want the opposed thus my comment that all the included narrow bore tips are only good if you are craving L-shaped sound.  Soundstage is still better in width than in depth.

Without any bs hype, in my opinion DM3 has the best SIDY's tuning so far.  These guys (SIDY) are definitely on a right track of sound improvement.
compared to gr07 and vsd3s? The treble is less than gr07be? Im using the XE800 but the treble still difficult to hear for a long time...

Sep 30, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #8,441 of 35,472

I'm sure you're right about the DM3 but got stung with the DGS100 because I was expecting a lot due to the hype. Like reading 10/10 reviews of a movie and then only seeing a 6/10. It seems a lot worse than a 6 because you're expecting the best movie ever lol.

Anyhow, it's not that I'm not a fan of enhanced bass. I'm a fan of quality enhanced bass. I do have the TH600 and love them to death, the bass quality of that thing is phenomenal with absolutely no bleed of sub bass into mid bass or mid bass into mids. It's all separated, layered and nicely textured. And that is what I'm always looking for in the bass of any phone. We're all on this journey about finding that sound and I just get a little upset when I buy something with certain expectations and don't come close. Sorry for the rant.

Sep 30, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #8,442 of 35,472
Y'all don't find the Penon IEM overly boom?

It does have some huge bass. Needs serious burn in. More importantly, it needs some eq. Drop it down 3db or so in the mid bass area and it presents much better.

Sep 30, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #8,444 of 35,472
Got the superlux hd681 evo in today.

Put them on and played something and kind of felt ripped off. They almost sounded muffled, like a speaker under a couple of blankets. Turned out that's exactly the case lol.

I thought "there's no way a 50 mm driver should be this quiet and muffled. Took the pads off and there are literally two thick layers of sound damping material on them. I removed the thick inner layer of felt that was covering the driver, which showed a very nice driver btw, then put the thin foam layer back on and the supplied velour tips. They now sound very good, and far beyond the 40 usd I paid.

Why superlux would put a very thick layer of felt in front of their driver is perplexing.

Sep 30, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #8,445 of 35,472
Got the superlux hd681 evo in today.

Put them on and played something and kind of felt ripped off. They almost sounded muffled, like a speaker under a couple of blankets. Turned out that's exactly the case lol.

I thought "there's no way a 50 mm driver should be this quiet and muffled. Took the pads off and there are literally two thick layers of sound damping material on them. I removed the thick inner layer of felt that was covering the driver, which showed a very nice driver btw, then put the thin foam layer back on and the supplied velour tips. They now sound very good, and far beyond the 40 usd I paid.

Why superlux would put a very thick layer of felt in front of their driver is perplexing.

If you need less bass, just get some cheap chinese earpads, like this one -> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Velour-Cushion-Superlux-hd681-Series-hd681f-hd681b-hd-681f-681b-Headphone-/251633457764?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item3a9685da64

k701smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back