Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2016 at 5:23 AM Post #35,281 of 35,472

No. This budget earphone does not exist. This is the mythical "giant killer" everyone who is here is waiting for?! The 4in1 is a mighty budget performer, but it doesn't best the A83 in my opinion, and really bests the P1 in a few categories. So it's not a giant killer. There are some amazing deals and sounds in the budget arena, and I think this obsession, and it is an obsession, with finding a $50 earphone that is technically on par with a $500-1000k earphone is taking away from the coolness of the budget offerings. At these prices, the sound is so amazing and professional. But are they truly on par with the Layla's, Andromeda's, IE800, and Ditas of the world? Probably not unless you use that insane EQ program of Joe Bloggs lol

Sep 19, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #35,282 of 35,472
I want to know if there exits an IEM <= $150 that on the technical side (resolution and clarity) that can rival to that of a high end $1000 iem.
I don't care about sound signature or personal taste. I just want to know if such a buget IEM exists that is as good as high end fi on the analytical side.

Probably not a "giant killer", but will give you plenty of resolution and clarity, if you ask me. The **** 4in1 is equaled to "Atom" from the movie "Real Steel" -and will take on the BIG fights!
wink.gif

.....just my 2 cents.
deadhorse.gif

Sep 19, 2016 at 5:44 AM Post #35,283 of 35,472
No. This budget earphone does not exist. This is the mythical "giant killer" everyone who is here is waiting for?! The 4in1 is a mighty budget performer, but it doesn't best the A83 in my opinion, and really bests the P1 in a few categories. So it's not a giant killer. There are some amazing deals and sounds in the budget arena, and I think this obsession, and it is an obsession, with finding a $50 earphone that is technically on par with a $500-1000k earphone is taking away from the coolness of the budget offerings. At these prices, the sound is so amazing and professional. But are they truly on par with the Layla's, Andromeda's, IE800, and Ditas of the world? Probably not unless you use that insane EQ program of Joe Bloggs lol

From my understanding, no amount of EQ can improve clarity and details retrieval. And yes, this is the so called mythical giant killer I am looking/waiting for. Why brag and hype over a budget IBM if sound signature and personal taste is all that is to offer? I own several KZ earphone due to hype in this thread and find all of them (ED9, DT3, ANW, ZS1, etc etc) so terribly lacking in detail retrieval I wonder why they are so hyped in the first place. Technically these are only at the same league as the ASUS IEM that comes with mobile phone.

Sep 19, 2016 at 5:45 AM Post #35,284 of 35,472

Probably not a "giant killer", but will give you plenty of resolution and clarity, if you ask me. The **** 4in1 is equaled to "Atom" from the movie "Real Steel" -and will take on the BIG fights!
wink.gif

.....just my 2 cents.
deadhorse.gif

Thanks, I have ordered XE800 and 4in1 and waiting for them to arrive.
I also have pretty much given up on KZ IEM for now.

Sep 19, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #35,285 of 35,472
I've heard a lot of people say 'you get what you pay for' when it comes to premium kit (not just audio).

However when you look at some company balance sheets like Apple they're creaming it in, huge profits, big offices, CEO's on massive salaries.

The flip side to this must be a company that is a small startup that designs a great product and sells it without making a big profit on each unit sold. People dismiss them as being 'budget' and yet their product is everybit as good as the big brands. Examples that come to mind with phones are Xiaomi, Oneplusone, Huawei 

My own opinion is that there are similar brands out there with earphones/headphones, anyone who dismisses a because a £100 IEM can't be a good as a £500 IEM purely based on price is being short sighted.

Beware the hype train, but keep your mind open to new brands is my view.

Sep 19, 2016 at 6:09 AM Post #35,286 of 35,472
From my understanding, no amount of EQ can improve clarity and details retrieval. And yes, this is the so called mythical giant killer I am looking/waiting for. Why brag and hype over a budget IBM if sound signature and personal taste is all that is to offer? I own several KZ earphone due to hype in this thread and find all of them (ED9, DT3, ANW, ZS1, etc etc) so terribly lacking in detail retrieval I wonder why they are so hyped in the first place. Technically these are only at the same league as the ASUS IEM that comes with mobile phone.

KZ has nothing that's designed as a critical listening earphones is why. The KZ house sound is designed for fun and toe tapping. If you are looking for sub $100 that's a technical listen, then you can go for the 4in1, Trinity Vyrus, SoundMagic E80, or VIVO XE800. I think the PMV 01mkii has gotten strong reviews as a budget dual BA +1 DD earphone that's been mentioned as detailed and technical? So you can start there, but none are truly "giant killers" per se. They are budget slayers!!! *shows the horns* lol

Sep 19, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #35,287 of 35,472
  I've heard a lot of people say 'you get what you pay for' when it comes to premium kit (not just audio).

However when you look at some company balance sheets like Apple they're creaming it in, huge profits, big offices, CEO's on massive salaries.

The flip side to this must be a company that is a small startup that designs a great product and sells it without making a big profit on each unit sold. People dismiss them as being 'budget' and yet their product is everybit as good as the big brands. Examples that come to mind with phones are Xiaomi, Oneplusone, Huawei 

My own opinion is that there are similar brands out there with earphones/headphones, anyone who dismisses a because a £100 IEM can't be a good as a £500 IEM purely based on price is being short sighted.

Beware the hype train, but keep your mind open to new brands is my view.

This.
This resonate with what I am thinking.
Also moving forward, I hope future reviews on new headphone put more emphasis on IEM's clarity and timbre. Clarity should be separately rated in bass, mids and treble, and especially the mids. Too often, reviews provide a one sentence/phrase that isn't very useful like "it has decent detail" or "treble has good details". As for timbre, emphasis on how natural the vocal and instrument sounds. Also compare to other IEM to give the reader a better idea.
Most of the reviews are already doing a good job in describing sound separation, sound stage, frequency response and sound signature, but in rating the true technicality of the phone, more has to be done.

Sep 19, 2016 at 6:20 AM Post #35,288 of 35,472
This.
This resonate with what I am thinking.
Also moving forward, I hope future reviews on new headphone put more emphasis on IEM's clarity and timbre. Clarity should be separately rated in bass, mids and treble, and especially the mids. Too often, reviews provide a one sentence/phrase that isn't very useful like "it has decent detail" or "treble has good details". As for timbre, emphasis on how natural the vocal and instrument sounds. Also compare to other IEM to give the reader a better idea.

Most of the reviews are already doing a good job in describing sound separation, sound stage, frequency response and sound signature, but in rating the true technicality of the phone, more has to be done.

4in1 has world class timbre and bang for your buck clarity. Mids are dry with good energy, but not lush, forward, or the focus. Mids are clear though, with bite provided by the high mids and low highs. That means there can be spikes.

Sep 19, 2016 at 6:21 AM Post #35,289 of 35,472
  Thanks, I have ordered XE800 and 4in1 and waiting for them to arrive.
I also have pretty much given up on KZ IEM for now.

finally someone agrees with me. have been emphasising how bad kz iems are months back.

Sep 19, 2016 at 6:22 AM Post #35,290 of 35,472
KZ has nothing that's designed as a critical listening earphones is why. The KZ house sound is designed for fun and toe tapping. If you are looking for sub $100 that's a technical listen, then you can go for the 4in1, Trinity Vyrus, SoundMagic E80, or VIVO XE800. I think the PMV 01mkii has gotten strong reviews as a budget dual BA +1 DD earphone that's been mentioned as detailed and technical? So you can start there, but none are truly "giant killers" per se. They are budget slayers!!! *shows the horns* lol

The QKZ W1 Pros are not as bass heavy as some. They are mid-centered so they come off almost as flat IEMs and a big change from the FUN ATE sound. IMO

Sep 19, 2016 at 6:36 AM Post #35,291 of 35,472
   finally someone agrees with me. have been emphasising how bad kz iems are months back.

Doesn't it depend on what you are looking for in an IEM?

Some people want musicality, some want bass, others soundstage - I'm guessing that KZ simply don't suit your particular listening preference that's all. There's too many positive comments for them to be bad.  

Bad for you? Yes.

Bad across the board, no I'd say not. There's a few earphones that people have strongly rated in this thread that I have been really disappointed with. They were probably good earphones, I just didn't enjoy listening to them.

Sep 19, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #35,293 of 35,472

L o l. I remember you telling me they were not very good......

Exactly. This is why I blocked him and told him to take a hike from this thread

Same here, blocked him long time ago, from the A&D D2 "balanced sound" fiasco. That guy changes his opinions and recommendations all the time, not first time I`ve seen that by him.
The cable on this earphone (YHC S600) is pretty sweet.

Same cable as with Yinjw "IE800" wooden red housing one has. Pretty great but nothing special to me.

Sep 19, 2016 at 7:29 AM Post #35,294 of 35,472

I'm curious about what other $10 IEM's you'd recommend that's significantly better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back