Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 7, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #29,101 of 35,472
My first tube amp just got here - worth every damn penny! Holy balls these sound effing fantastic!!!

These sound so good I am at a loss for words... 
eek.gif

Will post more details and its own thread later, but god damn these things make my K7XX  sound sexy af. Way to go XDuoo!!! 

Jun 7, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #29,102 of 35,472
  My first tube amp just got here - worth every damn penny! Holy balls these sound effing fantastic!!!

eek.gif

Will post more details and its own thread later, but god damn these things make my K7XX  sound sexy af. Way to go XDuoo!!! 

Interesting, my only tube experience is hundreds of guitar amps. I still even have an old 1950s tube projector amp to use as guitar amp. Looks like a standard 12ax7 and EL84 tubes which are fortunately still very commonly still in production.

Interestingly enough, my main guitar amp is a Pritchard Amp, designed by a  Navy nuclear weapons testing engineer who got into audio engineering as a hobby, and spent 60 iterations to perfect a solid state version of a tube guitar amp sound.

Jun 8, 2016 at 3:12 AM Post #29,108 of 35,472

Idk who said that 808 is bassy but it wasn`t me. It is just slightly enhanced but in good balance with rest of FR. I certainly wouldn`t call 808 bass "snappy"... well it is good but 808 bass is just tad too "soft & woolly" imho. Yes, I can hear bass texture, details and thump/slurryness but I have to "look & listen" for it. With WOM-mod I just hear evrerything in bass department without "sharpening & concentrating" my ears on bass. And like I told, it`s not about bass quantity.
About BK35...
BK35 soundstage larger - great, I like it! 
BK35 mids better - great, like it!
BK35 highs rolled off - also great, I like it (depends how much but I like littlebit rolled off highs due to I`m sensitive to highs).

From FR graphs provided by Magaosi developer I wouldn`t say BK35 is exceedingly bassy but can`t say until I hear myself. Probably I`m still going for BK35 because BK50 fit and wearing issues are too much hassle for me (I don`t bother to modifiy everything always, especially such nice looking IEM`s) and BK35 are cheaper.

I wonder if You are using foam tips with 808 and BK35 ? 

More fowards mids - great, also would like tad foward mids than 808 have.

Unfortunately I can`t call 808 natural - to me they just aren`t so natural as they should be with vocals, acoustic guitars, contrabass, saxophone etc. They have "cold" midrange signature.
This is especially evident when I listen to my local artists recording whom voice & guitar I have heard in person & live concerts (amped and without) - with 808 it isn`t so natural as it should be, it`s littlebit " thin & cold". Mids are detailed and great but lacking just a fraction of "warmth". I`m not trying to bash down 808, they are great but just slightly off from my preference of natural signature and resolution of bass.

.....Let us know what you think about the BK35's once you get them. I really had a hard time pinpointing the inconsistency and lack of fluency with the combination of the dynamic driver and BA armature working together harmonically. Maybe, you can grasp and tell a different story. To me, even though the BK35 sounds mid-focused, I'll pick the KZ-ATE over the BK35 anyday of the week over these.

Bold text was about 808 or BK35 ? Interesting that You like ATE more than BK35 ...then my FF-mod ATE should be even more better than BK35 
rolleyes.gif

808 is bassy , bass head level bass, drowns everything else.

Guys who compared it to K3003 needs new pair of ears.

Are you sure you having the metal shell 808? If it's I guess you need to get your ear checked. Personally, I don't think think it's bassy and not to extend that will drowns everything in the spectrum.

I also don`t find my champagne-gold pair bassy or over-drowning rest of FR. Maybe You got faulty pair? Please aslo check venting holes at backplates - my pair had one without little pin-hole inside vent hole! I had to take very sharp thin needle to make it same as other side. If those holes are larger it makes 808 much more bassier. 
I`m probably going to try different hole sizes or make them closed before wood-modding them. If You bother - can You please make a graph when backplate holes are closed ?

I also have the black metal version from Easy. The bass quality of my unit is not good. 

In what way do you mean not good? My 808 have fairly good quantity of bass but is slightly muddied. What I find more unappealing is the coldness of the mids.

My 808 also has quite good quantity bass - slightly enhanced but certainly not bassy or boomy. Just bass quality is "soft & woolly" and could have more tightness and resolution.
I agree about mids - they are "cold". They aren`t recessed but they are missing "naturality".

I'm looking forward to see those. Maybe there's someone else who needs to get their ears checked 
wink.gif

RE-Zero vs 808

GR07 vs 808

VSD5 vs 808

TTPOD-T1E vs 808

Nice graphs. What tips did You use while measuring 808 ? 

If You have, try 808 with spiral dots. For my surprise they "smoothed" little highs (quite same to me as FF-mod ATE in quantity) and made bass slightly more detailed. If You bother - measure graph with them :wink:

After about over 80h playtime I can`t hear any improvement with 808 and I still think bass area lacks slightly in resolution, tightness and details. Mids are still neutral and kind of "lifeless".
Highs have smoothed out and have no harshness (just under bordering harsh). Will try to mod my 808 and see if they improve. As much as I would like to call them best IEM I have, I still grab to my WOM-mod or FF-mod. 808 is great for the money and I do recommend to try them out.... but they just aren`t quite for my preference.

Jun 8, 2016 at 4:01 AM Post #29,109 of 35,472
Measurements are with stock medium tips. I used same tips on other iems where it fitted. One of two had smaller nozzle where I had to use other tips.  I dont have spiral dots.

I did notice on left side there was no small pin hole.

I will try to measure with holes closed by small tape, when I find time, may be on weekend.

Jun 8, 2016 at 4:22 AM Post #29,110 of 35,472
  Well, IMO don't. I have three $100 IEMs, the Sony XB90EX, the Philips Fidelio S1, the Velodyne Vpulse, and teh HLSX 808 has the best of all of them and thus is better than any of them.

+1
beerchug.gif

Quote:
If you can read graphs, you will see my measurement is more or less similar to one posted by manufacture. So in comparison other iem like gr07, re-zero are more neutral.

Indeed, they are!.....Thanks for the graphs.
smile_phones.gif

Jun 8, 2016 at 5:45 AM Post #29,111 of 35,472
  Bold text was about 808 or BK35 ? Interesting that You like ATE more than BK35 ...then my FF-mod ATE should be even more better than BK35 
rolleyes.gif

Yea, it was about the BK35's......it can never compare to the ATE's MIDS. The ATE just does midrange right for dynamic drivers!

.....and, I'm pretty sure your MOD is clearly better.
wink.gif
 .....the BK35's are not my cup of tea.

Jun 8, 2016 at 5:47 AM Post #29,112 of 35,472

eek.gif

Wow! That tube amp looks really great!

.....Do you know what's the function of the 3rd tube in the center?

Jun 8, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #29,115 of 35,472
MuZo2, forgot to ask, is Your DX50 hardware modified or not? Because with modified HW & FW DX50 has much tighter, controlled and detailed bass. Stock DX50 main fault is also "woolly & soft" bass like 808... combined together that may result "excess" & uncontrolled bass.
Just noting it out :wink:

And try to close ALL vent holes (near nozzle and backplates), to me sounds pretty balanced and bass takes a step back (also gets tighter and more accurate).
I think those DD+BA in properly shaped/constructed wooden housings can noticeably improve 808 SQ and overall balance/resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back