Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Nov 1, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #10,426 of 19,143
  Matt, are you looking at the HD800 because of comfort concerns with other TOTL cans?

Yes. I've owned just about every mid fi hp on the planet and some TOTL hp's and the TOTL because of weight and comfort issues. I've neither owned nor heard the hd800, but with Lug Bug's comparison I'm ready to pull the trigger. 

Nov 1, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #10,427 of 19,143
Does anyone here have any experience with the Onkyo TX-2500 found a mint one locally but not sure how it sounds or how well it'll work with headphones. I think it has around 30 watts per channel @ 8 ohm. If anyone either owns or has tried it please speak up! I'd love to hear your thoughts! 

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Nov 1, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #10,428 of 19,143
HD-800 would be good used with a high quality vintage amp that also has flexible tone controls :evil:

Nov 1, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #10,429 of 19,143
I've never owned an HD800, but I've auditioned multiple pairs and I really liked it each time. When I was first getting into the hobby is blew me away, and even now it's still impressive.

Nov 1, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #10,431 of 19,143
HD-800 would be good used with a high quality vintage amp that also has flexible tone controls
evil_smiley.gif

Crazy that you do need tone controls or modding to make the $1400 HD800's shine correctly :) 

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Nov 1, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #10,432 of 19,143
very_evil_smiley.gif
 He's never tried them with his SX1980.... I'm sure he'd have no need for tone controls now :)

incidentally, Skylabs HD800 review is one of - if not the best out there. Simply because as usual he was brutally honest, and well.. a great reviewer. Who incidentally needs to come out of retirement and do the K812... :D)
But I would also like to add... If I may... That the treble of the HD800's seems to be far less a problem these days. Seriously.. More and more people are buying these who where originally put off by thinking that they are a bright and harsh headphone. And then surprised that they aren't, including myself. The K701/2's are a bright hp, so are the DT880. Grado's are murderous...!

(my quote of the day:) ' There are less peaks than valley's with the HD800's.' 

Anyhow. HD800 + Vintage amp = smile. (IME)

beerchug.gif

Nov 1, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #10,433 of 19,143
  Does anyone here have any experience with the Onkyo TX-2500 found a mint one locally but not sure how it sounds or how well it'll work with headphones. I think it has around 30 watts per channel @ 8 ohm. If anyone either owns or has tried it please speak up! I'd love to hear your thoughts! 

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

I had Onkyo Tx-2500, sold it. It looks nice with real glass panel.
Regarding sound, I will quote from Aker wmgwizard
The best/worst thing I could say about the Onkyo is that it did not sound like anything. Very neutral, not warm but not bright either. Plenty of power but no personality.

If my remember correctly, it's a tiny bit dark too, but just no involving,

Regarding Yamaha, this Aker also did right to me.
 The CA 2010 is currently on "loan" to my brother(don't expect it back anytime soon). It has that "natural sound"; very clean, with a little warmth and a touch of brightness. IMHO its what music should sound like.

Warm in LF, bright in HF.

You can check http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=551482&highlight=onkyo

I saw you have lot of phones, why not adventure in vintage Iron and decide yourself like your phone journey?. Low models are not expensive, after exploring all brands, then you can go after TOTL of your favorite brand.

Nov 1, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #10,435 of 19,143
Vintage Yamaha stuff is a bit scary. Some of their parts are unobtainium and I've had quite a number of issues with various models. I had a CA-610 that had a really long power up delay and one of the control pots made a channel drop out if you moved it off of 0. A friend has a CR-840 I think and it's totally dead. It was working, then he tried to replace the bulb (Yes, the bulb, as in one of the dial lamps) and the whole thing doesn't work now. Had another one, a higher quality 80's integrated where the muting was stuck on - yep, no button only on the remote and power off didn't forget either. No battery either. Finally the output just died on it. I'll always dig Yamaha for their looks, but they aren't too reliable in my experience. Then again I've had problems with Sansui as well. Ugh, I had a 9090 that was nothing but a paperweight. Was dead as a receiver, power amp, and a preamp. Never handled anything as massive that was just scrap besides that, I don't know what people do to tear up amps so badly. I guess it's to be expected with vintage gear, though most of my Marantz, Luxman, Kenwood, and HH Scott gear have worked great. Heck, that Scott I posted earlier was in a barn and it showed. Works like a champ, just needed deoxit in the controls.

Nov 1, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #10,436 of 19,143

How fun is this .gif. I love the moving meters and woofers.
Any guesses on the components...

That is cool. I see some Rotel?  no idea what they are though.. 

Nov 1, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #10,438 of 19,143
Hey I just realized the topic is 'vintage integrated receiver' owners...does that exclude my sony rig since it's technically an integrated amp + tuner? If so, how far back is vintage? I might have something I bought brand new in 1994 when I was a 16 year old pup...

Nov 1, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #10,439 of 19,143
  Hey I just realized the topic is 'vintage integrated receiver' owners...does that exclude my sony rig since it's technically an integrated amp + tuner? If so, how far back is vintage? I might have something I bought brand new in 1994 when I was a 16 year old pup...

The Title is "...integrated/receiver..." which included integrated amp, you are qualified.
 "Vintage" usually means before 84ish.

But our OP moodryn always welcome people talk all the things like separates and new. So just make yourself home!
beerchug.gif

Nov 1, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #10,440 of 19,143
I think we should make it so that anything pre dsp is vintage, (no dolby or video) so I can post my near 20 year old treasure :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back