Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Oct 31, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #10,396 of 19,145
I actually agree with that. But I guess collector's pay for that extra premium due to it being rare or just preserving down a bit of history.

Everyone likes different stuff I personally think the vintage Marantz that I've heard (all the four digit) receiver models except the Model M series power amps and the Sansui (AU515, 555, 717, 919) suck but hey thats me.

Haven't heard any Pioneers lately.

Hmm, well I hope so. If I ever sell my Pioneer A-27 integrated I'm hoping that will help it sell, since it is legitimately rare. I'm more of a separates guy or at least integrated amps, so while I enjoy receivers to a degree they're always second to a nice integrated or a good pre/power setup. Rarely do see much in the way of vintage power amps, which is a shame as I know there were some good ones. Something in me just would feel so very dirty and wrong for paying the kind of money things like SX-1250/80s go for considering it's just a well built mass market receiver and high end amps go for the same or less that easily outperform it.

Oct 31, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #10,397 of 19,145
I just bought a new amp and have some new cans on the way so I am done for a bit, but when(and if ) you grow weary of it I am very interested. I bought one on E bay and it was in horrible shape, yours looks cherry.

@ Mr. Skylab Is that EQ a 9800 with a wood cabinet? 

No, the EQ is the one non-Pioneer piece - it's a Sansui SE-8X in a wood cabinet.

Nov 1, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #10,398 of 19,145
Originally Posted by Mr. Morden /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hmm, well I hope so. If I ever sell my Pioneer A-27 integrated I'm hoping that will help it sell, since it is legitimately rare. I'm more of a separates guy or at least integrated amps, so while I enjoy receivers to a degree they're always second to a nice integrated or a good pre/power setup. Rarely do see much in the way of vintage power amps, which is a shame as I know there were some good ones. Something in me just would feel so very dirty and wrong for paying the kind of money things like SX-1250/80s go for considering it's just a well built mass market receiver and high end amps go for the same or less that easily outperform it.

Silver-faced foxes... 
wink_face.gif
 you do know sex sells, right?

Nov 1, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #10,399 of 19,145
  If you're a sucker for mids like me, definitely put the HE-6 on your list. Heck, you already have the ingredients for an excellent pairing with the vintage iron. Just ask Silent One 
L3000.gif

Yeah, I got both. And while each have their roles and sound nice with some heavy iron, those HiFiMAN's... there's magic in the middle! From Astrud Gilberto to Aretha Franklin and Angela Bofill and Al Green in between, WOWZA!

The LCD-2 has wonderful mids, but my listening sessions kept going final with "Yeah, but..." Very very promising and would have me leaning forward only to stop short of a pay-off. Akin to getting paid most of what you expect and then you're expected to come back for residual payment next session. 
mad.gif
 When I listen and put the time and effort in, I want to get paid in full. 

Nov 1, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #10,400 of 19,145
  I did get to hear the he-6 at the Atlanta meet on Moody's 9090db. It was wonderful, but way way too heavy for me. I've sworn off hp's that weigh more than 350 grams. Comfort is King!!

But the he-4, baby brother to the he-6, weighs in at? Shockingly 350 grams. 
biggrin.gif

Or, you could wear the light-as-a-feather Senn HD280Pro. With a oxygen-restricting clamping force. 
normal_smile .gif

I'm neither bothered or conscious by the weight of the LCD-2 or HE-6. Perhaps, I am distracted?
popcorn.gif

Nov 1, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #10,404 of 19,145
  Yeah, I got both. And while each have their roles and sound nice with some heavy iron, those HiFiMAN's... there's magic in the middle! From Astrud Gilberto to Aretha Franklin and Angela Bofill and Al Green in between, WOWZA!

The LCD-2 has wonderful mids, but my listening sessions kept going final with "Yeah, but..." Very very promising and would have me leaning forward only to stop short of a pay-off. Akin to getting paid most of what you expect and then you're expected to come back for residual payment next session. 
mad.gif
 When I listen and put the time and effort in, I want to get paid in full. 

Wow, so you find the he-6 mids appreciable better than the lcd2.2? I was only able to audition the he-6 for a brief session at a meet and have not got to spend any real time with it. Of course, the real issue for both of the hp's is the weight. Unfortunately the only flagship that is nice and light and very comfortable is the hd800. Based on reputation, I might love it or hate it as it seems to be somewhat polarizing. If someone here is rocking the hd800 please let me know what you think. 

Nov 1, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #10,405 of 19,145
  A random but related question, why do people have such an obsession with Pioneer gear? I never have figured that out. Not knocking them since I have a few old Pioneers but I don't get why people seem to collect them and pay such outrageous prices (Seen the prices for SX-1250s lately?). Their sound is not bad, but it's not the best out there either. Nothing wrong with that, but if I hadn't got my Pioneers for cheap there's no way I would pay their going prices. Some of them cost as much as McIntosh and some high-end amplifiers, which seems silly to me considering what you get compared to those.

This is a point I made a few months back.  All the vintage receivers I have heard are lacking compared to similarly priced vintage high end gear.  So, I had to ask myself - am I truly in this for the sound?  The answer kept coming back YES!  So I have changed my strategy to look for one of McIntosh 2105, Levinson 27.5, or and old Krell KSA 80.  Not many around so must be patient.  Also will need an adapter for HPs - but worth it.   That said - I still have an old, fully restored, Sherwood 7100a on my nightstand just to keep on foot in the water.   Also, I will admit that if you are going to dump some big coin into a vintage receiver, the old upper end Pioneers are nice - but I will not have the cash for an SX1980 any time soon.

Nov 1, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #10,406 of 19,145
As much as I love the Pioneers that I've owned (sx650, 890, 1050, 1250 and 1280), I'd take the fisher 500c over them all. I've come close to owning one a few times, but it just didn't pan out. One day though, one day. 

Nov 1, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #10,407 of 19,145
The 500c is one on my list too.

Nov 1, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #10,408 of 19,145

Wow, so you find the he-6 mids appreciable better than the lcd2.2? I was only able to audition the he-6 for a brief session at a meet and have not got to spend any real time with it. Of course, the real issue for both of the hp's is the weight. Unfortunately the only flagship that is nice and light and very comfortable is the hd800. Based on reputation, I might love it or hate it as it seems to be somewhat polarizing. If someone here is rocking the hd800 please let me know what you think. 

LCD-2 not the revision...

Nov 1, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #10,409 of 19,145

Silver-faced foxes... 
wink_face.gif
 you do know sex sells, right?

Well sure, but who said amps weren't good lookin' too?

Can't tell me those aren't sexy. I especially like that Accuphase P400. It looks just as good with the cover off too:

I gotta stop looking at this stuff, it's making me want to spend lots of money that I shouldn't...
confused_face.gif
 And that Accuphase is the baby...

Nov 1, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #10,410 of 19,145
Wow! Didn't know anyone else had one of these! Been using one for a couple years myself, GREAT rack!

Holly Crap Rob!
This set and a pair of Klipsch Cornwall II in walnut finish and I would be in vintage audio heaven!
Congrats on an awesome vintage system.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back