Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Aug 24, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #9,376 of 19,143
Ok gents need some input. After drinking the Dynaco A 25 cool aid..yes I dig them that much; I'm thinking of trying a different receiver to see if my beloved Sansui 881 can be bested. Right now I'm looking at McIntosh 1700 vs Fisher 500c. In the past I drove a non pristine pair of Dynacos with a 3 wpc SET amp and while good it didn't possess the overall dynamics my 881 has with my mint condition Dynacos. Any pertinent advice is welcomed. Cheers!

Aug 24, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #9,377 of 19,143
I know that many including Moody sing the praises of the 500c and I'll admit that I haven't heard it so I can't say one way or the other. But I have heard the Mac. The 1700 is a serious butt kicker. I thought that it was outstanding...the Mac. 

But with that being said, I don't know how much you'll be able to appreciate the difference on the a25's. Not that they aren't fantastic speakers, they are. But you don't need the heavyweight champ to bring out the best in them. If you plan to add harder to drive speakers in the future, then okay. That's my 2c anyway. 

Finally, with all that being said I recommend that you buy both. 
size]

Aug 24, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #9,378 of 19,143
Quote:
Ok gents need some input. After drinking the Dynaco A 25 cool aid..yes I dig them that much; I'm thinking of trying a different receiver to see if my beloved Sansui 881 can be bested. Right now I'm looking at McIntosh 1700 vs Fisher 500c. In the past I drove a non pristine pair of Dynacos with a 3 wpc SET amp and while good it didn't possess the overall dynamics my 881 has with my mint condition Dynacos. Any pertinent advice is welcomed. Cheers!

I'd go with the Fisher.  The McIntosh has a SS front end.  I'd go full tubes.

Aug 24, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #9,379 of 19,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakerBox /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So I began to wonder would investing in vintage high end equipment for a second system be a better value.  Surely some of the old Levinson, Threshold, Krell, Proceed, and Mcintosh equipment would easily outdo any of the vintage receivers (excepting maybe Pioneer SX1980, Fisher 500C, and few others).  But, for the price of a 1980 I could put together a vintage high end system that would probably better it.

Some that I have looked at that are fetching reasonable prices are Levinson 27.5 or 23.5, Mcintosh 2105, Krell KSA 80, Proceed AMP5, and Threshold 400A.  Outstanding sound from all of these.  Of course I may just be kidding myself in thinking that I would stop searching if I picked up one of these units because we know audiophiles are never satisfied.  And yes, I realize there would be the additional work of fitting HPs to the speaker taps of these amplifiers - but still think they may be a better value.

Not saying there is a right or wrong here - this is just my current thinking on the subject.

I've mentioned the same thought previously in the thread.  Posters on AK Forum thought that 80s high end equipment would be a better $$ value - in terms of sound quality - than any other gear.   In fact, I'm wondering what your first system is like, if Krell or Levinson gear would be a level below !
eek.gif

Aug 24, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #9,380 of 19,143
Quote:
Ok gents need some input. After drinking the Dynaco A 25 cool aid..yes I dig them that much;

Ooh... you are jogging my memory... I definitely had a pair of Dynaco A25s, and I seem to remember driving them from a Pioneer SA-7100 (at least it looks familiar from the pictures).  And I had a Dynaco Quadaptor that connected two rear speakers, and I used Dynaco A10s.  (From a terrible Garrard turntable, which I later replaced with the superb Pioneer PL-12D.)

Aug 25, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #9,382 of 19,143
Quote:
LugBug nice Pio!  Glad you like both.  once again comes down to horses for courses, however if you do decide to get rid of the sui you can always send it to this poor yankee and ill take a sixer of newcastle with it 
L3000.gif
wink_face.gif

Haha will do! 
size]

Aug 25, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #9,383 of 19,143
Quote:
I've mentioned the same thought previously in the thread.  Posters on AK Forum thought that 80s high end equipment would be a better $$ value - in terms of sound quality - than any other gear.   In fact, I'm wondering what your first system is like, if Krell or Levinson gear would be a level below !
eek.gif

Quote:
So here is the question I have been asking myself lately: Am I into vintage because it is truly the best sound I can get for my money, or is it because it looks cool and is just fun to collect?

I am beginning to think it is that later because none of them stay very long as I become dissatisfied with the sound fairly quickly (especially when I compare it to my main system which can't be helped).  So I began to wonder would investing in vintage high end equipment for a second system be a better value.  Surely some of the old Levinson, Threshold, Krell, Proceed, and Mcintosh equipment would easily outdo any of the vintage receivers (excepting maybe Pioneer SX1980, Fisher 500C, and few others).  But, for the price of a 1980 I could put together a vintage high end system that would probably better it.

Some that I have looked at that are fetching reasonable prices are Levinson 27.5 or 23.5, Mcintosh 2105, Krell KSA 80, Proceed AMP5, and Threshold 400A.  Outstanding sound from all of these.  Of course I may just be kidding myself in thinking that I would stop searching if I picked up one of these units because we know audiophiles are never satisfied.  And yes, I realize there would be the additional work of fitting HPs to the speaker taps of these amplifiers - but still think they may be a better value.

Not saying there is a right or wrong here - this is just my current thinking on the subject.

I am certain that they sound awesome and for $4000 you can get the equivalent of ie 20k.  It may be a sweetspot but it isnt a cheap one.  None the less if you have the funds I am certain this gear would be awesome!

Aug 25, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #9,384 of 19,143
I don't see anything from you mentioning it :/ 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/537704/calling-all-vintage-integrated-receiver-owners/9345#post_9739353

Sorry man, but the caps really appear from that pic to have leaked somewhat badly, and given the behavior you describe, I think that unit needs to go to a competent repair shop.

Aug 25, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #9,385 of 19,143
Skylab is right harrinj, I thought it was glue at first glance but if the caps are raised like that then it's a sure sign of leakage. You've got a very sort after receiver there, it'll be worth getting it fixed. 

Aug 25, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #9,386 of 19,143
I opened up my SA-5800 and cleaned/treated the insides with Deoxit. I still don't think it sounds as good as I would like. The bass is still too heavy and loose and the treble is a bit screetchy/gritty to my ears. It's back in storage now with my other leftovers...

And here's a picture of my other "leftovers" that are still in service. The cassette is probably on its way to the closet though since I never use it...

Aug 25, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #9,387 of 19,143
Quote:
eek.gif

My main system has two Jeff Rowland Model 1s in bridged mono config, class A.  This gives me 240WPC (at least).  The Rowland amps have a mid-range that is to die for!   In addition my main source is a Kenwood KT7550 tuner that has been rebuilt with new diodes, black gate electrolytics, a new opamp, and Cardas wiring (and all the other mods from fmtunerinfo,com for the 7550).  I designed my own speakers to compliment the Rowland amps.  I also have DH labs silversonic running from the preamp to the amps and clear-day silver cables from amp to speakers because the amps can be a little dark and silver does brighten things up a bit.

That said, I am not sure the Levinson 27.5 would be much of a step down.  I previously had a Proceed Amp3 that sounded real good (a Levinson design too) - but the Rowlands edged it out.  The Levinson 27.5 and 23.5 are considered to be some of the all time classic amps and can be had for $1500 - $2500 on the bay.

Aug 25, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #9,388 of 19,143
Quote:
I opened up my SA-5800 and cleaned/treated the insides with Deoxit. I still don't think it sounds as good as I would like. The bass is still too heavy and loose and the treble is a bit screetchy/gritty to my ears. It's back in storage now with my other leftovers...

Oh well, nothing ventured nothing gained.. However, it looks too nice to be stuck in a cupboard my friend. Maybe place her on a nice corner table in your living room with a vase of flowers on top! 
size]

It's a shame the sound isn't to your liking. With me, as soon as I got into the 70's sound all my hp amps sounded dry and lifeless.. lacklustre and thin in comparison. They had more detail yes, but no balls! But of course its all down to personal preference. I've always preferred a warmer, more analogue sound. I was happy with tubes and the HD650's for about 5 years! 

Though I am surprised at the 'screechy/gritty' description of the treble. Because mine is as smooth as a Dolphins foreskin. (sorry I'm running out of superlatives :D) with the HD800's. 

I know you are enjoying you're new crack amp at the moment and I'm sure that sounds better with the Senns, I'd love to try one of those myself. 

beerchug.gif

(that Pioneer Elite looks nice as well)

Aug 25, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #9,390 of 19,143
I just picked up this Kenwood KA 3500  today (better pics to follow).  In the process I also found someone to fully test and service my Akai AA 1050 and replace the bulbs. Nice little Sunday!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back