Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Aug 26, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #9,407 of 19,145
Quote:
Quote:

Ya, that's where I'm at.  If I can get high end vintage for the same price of buying and selling a bunch of receivers and fixing them up, that is where I am heading.

only issue with that is that high end vintage gear (eg SX12xx - 1980) arent at bargain basement prices anymore plus there's the added (not insignificant) cost of refurb. even after its restored to original condition, are we positive that its on a competitive level with the good modern & semi modern stuff? i got my DK amp at alittle more than the price of a SX1250 (& certainly less than a fully restored one) so i know theres bargoons to be had if one has the funds, is ready & patient. definitely not as easy as some mite think.

FYI - "Vintage" simply means 'from a specific year'.  It's from wine, where you could just buy a brand's "Red Table Wine" with no year stated, or a "2009 Red" where 2009 is the "vintage".  In modern culture, it has come to mean "anything not sold today as new merchandise" and in home furnishings, means pretty much the same as "retro".

Anyway, "high end vintage gear" does not mean SX1250s, it means 1980s Mark Levinson, Krell, Threshold, and even B&K ST140s.  A Pioneer receiver is not "high end".   TOTL and high end are not the same, in fact, usually the best buy is Bottom-of-the-Line High End.

Aug 26, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #9,408 of 19,145
Just got the ODAC in, 

Lets see if it can bring some more magic to the SX-750.

Aug 26, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #9,409 of 19,145
i think Skylab has some experience with Optonica. maybe u mite wanna PM him or even ask him here for his opinion. Optonica is certainly not as prised as some of the other stuff here so theres deals to be had.

following Skylab is more than dangerous. it requires multiple sound rooms & a very very very accommodating partner (something most of us mere mortals arent as endowed with)! lol. goodluck & yes, your pioneer R2R deck is the shytes!!!!

I had an early 80's Optonica integrated for a while that was VERY impressive both in terms of build and sound quality. It weighed a ton in spite of being low profile and sounded killer!

And yeah, Capilot, you now have it BAD :D But seriously RTR is a phenomenal medium and I'm sure you will enjoy it a lot. Nice looking deck!

Aug 26, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #9,410 of 19,145
Quote:
Just got the ODAC in, 
Lets see if it can bring some more magic to the SX-750.

Report back soon! I'm thinking about getting a new ODAC to use with my Dynaco gear. You got the JDS Labs version?

Aug 26, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #9,411 of 19,145
Yea, the JDS Labs version. I won it new, but open box on ebay for $115. It definitely sounds VERY good. Makes the Q701 sound even more detailed and airy, but it is not making them sound harsh or shrill or anything. Definitely a step up from the DAC section of the Fiio E17. 

Edit: So far, very impressive! Definitely a good sized step up from the Fiio E17's DAC section. Very detailed, but still very musical. It didn't transform the sound into a bright digital sounding mess like a few people claim. It isn't making my Q701 unlistenable like I've heard some claim either. I'm not going to give a huge detailed review yet, but so far I'm very happy with the difference for a mere $115. I will say that it is definitely a big step up from the E17 in every way. Tighter bass, bigger soundstage, better separation, definitely better treble detail.  

Quote:
Report back soon! I'm thinking about getting a new ODAC to use with my Dynaco gear. You got the JDS Labs version?

Aug 26, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #9,412 of 19,145
Quote:
Yea, the JDS Labs version. I won it new, but open box on ebay for $115. It definitely sounds VERY good. Makes the Q701 sound even more detailed and airy, but it is not making them sound harsh or shrill or anything. Definitely a step up from the DAC section of the Fiio E17. 

Everything you buy makes me want to copy you. The SX-750 makes me want to get the one at the local audio shop despite not knowing what kind of condition it's in inside, and now your new DAC makes me want one for myself.

You better not sing the praises of an Orpheus anytime soon; I'll go broke.

Aug 26, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #9,413 of 19,145
Don't listen to anything I say, I don't know what I'm talking about. 

And I'll never be able to afford an Orpheus, so don't worry there. 
Quote:
Everything you buy makes me want to copy you. The SX-750 makes me want to get the one at the local audio shop despite not knowing what kind of condition it's in inside, and now your new DAC makes me want one for myself.

Aug 26, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #9,414 of 19,145
Quote:
Quote:

Less expensive than the ODAC is the Schiit Modi, an asynchronous USB DAC designed by Mike Moffat, who used to design $10,000 gear.  It costs $99 direct from schiit.com - cheap because no middle man.   Made entirely in Southern California (queue surfing music).   If nothing else, it is more recent technology than the ODAC, even if you don't find an acclaimed designer to be a better choice than an anonymous designer...
PS  Schiit has a 14-day no questions asked return policy.  The modi has a 15% restocking fee, since the $99 is too low to absorb the cost themselves...

Aug 26, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #9,415 of 19,145
That's cool. Maybe I'll try it or the Bifrost someday. 
Quote:
Less expensive than the ODAC is the Schiit Modi, an asynchronous USB DAC designed by Mike Moffat, who used to design $10,000 gear.  It costs $99 direct from schiit.com - cheap because no middle man.   Made entirely in Southern California (queue surfing music).   If nothing else, it is more recent technology than the ODAC, even if you don't find an acclaimed designer to be a better choice than an anonymous designer...
PS  Schiit has a 14-day no questions asked return policy.  The modi has a 15% restocking fee, since the $99 is too low to absorb the cost themselves...

Aug 26, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #9,416 of 19,145
Quote:

I had an early 80's Optonica integrated for a while that was VERY impressive both in terms of build and sound quality. It weighed a ton in spite of being low profile and sounded killer!

I have an Optonica SM-7305 integrated amp from the late 70's that I LOVE.  I use it as my speaker amp in my bedroom.  It is a nice piece of kit and built like a tank.  I bet the SA-5901 sounds great and it sure is a looker too! 

Aug 27, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #9,418 of 19,145
Quote:
This very topic (ODAC and Modi) came up on the Bottlehead forums...

http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,4380.0.html

Interesting subjective opinions about both, as well as the surprising $30 Fiio DAC.

I don't see the Modi mentioned at all.  The main comparison is to a Nuforce DAC.

BTW, I mentioned the Modi again, mainly due to ssrock64's comment "I'll go broke."
wink.gif

Aug 27, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #9,420 of 19,145
Quote:
FYI - "Vintage" simply means 'from a specific year'.  It's from wine, where you could just buy a brand's "Red Table Wine" with no year stated, or a "2009 Red" where 2009 is the "vintage".  In modern culture, it has come to mean "anything not sold today as new merchandise" and in home furnishings, means pretty much the same as "retro".

Anyway, "high end vintage gear" does not mean SX1250s, it means 1980s Mark Levinson, Krell, Threshold, and even B&K ST140s.  A Pioneer receiver is not "high end".   TOTL and high end are not the same, in fact, usually the best buy is Bottom-of-the-Line High End.

My sentiments, exactly!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back