Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Aug 25, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #9,391 of 19,145
I just picked up this Kenwood KA 3500  today (better pics to follow).  In the process I also found someone to fully test and service my Akai AA 1050 and replace the bulbs. Nice little Sunday!

Nice job. I've got two KA-5700's - love their sound. Great for headphones.......congrats.

Aug 25, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #9,392 of 19,145
Quote:
So here is the question I have been asking myself lately: Am I into vintage because it is truly the best sound I can get for my money, or is it because it looks cool and is just fun to collect?

i too went thru this phase & came to the conclusion that best sound i can get for my preferences (& my budget ofcos) is the end goal of all this fuss. whether its vintage or semi vintage or modern or a combo of everything is no longer the issue. im in it for the music, for the endorphins kick, for the escapism & for the simple joy of relaxing after a long hard day at work.

to paraphrase a dead chinese guy... "it does not matter if the cat is black or white so long as it catches mice" . this simple quote captures my mood precisely.

Aug 25, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #9,393 of 19,145
Quote:

i too went thru this phase & came to the conclusion that best sound i can get for my preferences (& my budget ofcos) is the end goal of all this fuss. whether its vintage or semi vintage or modern or a combo of everything is no longer the issue. im in it for the music, for the endorphins kick, for the escapism & for the simple joy of relaxing after a long hard day at work.

to paraphrase a dead chinese guy... "it does not matter if the cat is black or white so long as it catches mice" . this simple quote captures my mood precisely.

Ya, that's where I'm at.  If I can get high end vintage for the same price of buying and selling a bunch of receivers and fixing them up, that is where I am heading.

Aug 25, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #9,394 of 19,145
Recently i got myself a nice Pioneer SX750 using it with my Burson Conductors Dac and my Senns HD800 and it sounds great so last night i say to myself ill compare the Burson and the Pioneer just for fun i must of plug and unplug my Senns in one amo and in the other 15 times im no  spring chicken so forget the golden ears by the way, and for the life of me they sounded very similar how the H....... that possible .the thing 36 years old compared to the  latest technology.!

Aug 25, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #9,396 of 19,145
Aug 25, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #9,397 of 19,145
Quote:
Recently i got myself a nice Pioneer SX750 using it with my Burson Conductors Dac and my Senns HD800 and it sounds great so last night i say to myself ill compare the Burson and the Pioneer just for fun i must of plug and unplug my Senns in one amo and in the other 15 times im no  spring chicken so forget the golden ears by the way, and for the life of me they sounded very similar how the H....... that possible .the thing 36 years old compared to the  latest technology.!

Three reasons:
(1) The SX750 sold for $425 in 1976, which is $1,745 in 2013 dollars.  The Burson Conductor cost $1,850 in 2013 dollars, so roughly the same.

(2) The DAC in the Burson Conductor represents the huge advances in Digital technology over 37 years.   However, there has been less advances in Analog technology over that time period, because everyone is interested in Digital technology (evidently it is hard to find new students who are interested in studying analog electronic technology).   So, it is less surprising that the analog portion of the Conductor is not significantly better than the analog portion of the SX-750.

(3) The SX750 represents some of the very best electronics design of 1976 (some AK posters think the SX_50 series is the best Pioneer products).  Don't forget that there were plenty of terrible garbage receivers sold in 1976 that died long ago and are melted down...

Aug 25, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #9,398 of 19,145
Quote:
Three reasons:
(1) The SX750 sold for $425 in 1976, which is $1,745 in 2013 dollars.  The Burson Conductor cost $1,850 in 2013 dollars, so roughly the same.

(2) The DAC in the Burson Conductor represents the huge advances in Digital technology over 37 years.   However, there has been less advances in Analog technology over that time period, because everyone is interested in Digital technology (evidently it is hard to find new students who are interested in studying analog electronic technology).   So, it is less surprising that the analog portion of the Conductor is not significantly better than the analog portion of the SX-750.

(3) The SX750 represents some of the very best electronics design of 1976 (some AK posters think the SX_50 series is the best Pioneer products).  Don't forget that there were plenty of terrible garbage receivers sold in 1976 that died long ago and are melted down...

Thanks for your input .

Aug 25, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #9,399 of 19,145
Yup, the SX-750 rocks! I'm still loving mine. Hopefully the ODAC I have on the way makes it even better.

Aug 25, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #9,400 of 19,145
Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/537704/calling-all-vintage-integrated-receiver-owners/9345#post_9739353

Sorry man, but the caps really appear from that pic to have leaked somewhat badly, and given the behavior you describe, I think that unit needs to go to a competent repair shop.

Negative dear sir... that's the glue which many manufacturers used to hold larger capacitors in place prior to soldering, and to provide extra support to prevent vibration during transit from weakening the legs of the larger capacitors. It's an extremely common mistake to make... people see the glue and the first thing that springs to mind is 'leaking capacitors'. In any case, the electrolyte in capacitors is not brown or tan in colour.

It is definitely worth inspecting the glue to see whether it has affected any adjacent components. Sansui, in particular, used a glue which became corrosive over time, eating away adjacent components. For this reason, any AU-x17 series amps which haven't had the capacitors replaced and glue cleaned off (and affected components replaced) are living on borrowed time.

Aug 26, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #9,401 of 19,145
Following in Skylab's footsteps (a dangerous path, I'm well aware), I thought I'd share my reel to reel deck 
size]
 Not an amp per se, but right at home with the silver face, large toggle switches, and gorgeous peak meters.

Aug 26, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #9,403 of 19,145
I used to record on a reel-to-reel deck in a friend's basement studio. It was a lot more fun (and a lot more frustration) than using digital recording techniques, especially when you added in analog EQ.

Aug 26, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #9,404 of 19,145
Quote:
+1.

Yep, Kardon has those problems, but it still has very nice sound.
Does Grado require amp? I had SR325i once and didn't find amping adds large margin benefit.
If you like Grado sound, Kardon really is not good match, you may think later models of Pioneer. They generally add soundstage and dynamics. OK, I can also recommend another Kenwood Kr-8050/Kr-9050 High-speed DC stereo receiver, the sound rises and decays so fast in those models. Gees, I felt I was always forced to listen to every note. Not my taste at all, but may suit you since you dig Grados.

@scottie,
I don't drink much but the ale you posted just lure me to, maybe the name and wooof, wooof trigger me! You evil .....!!!

Thank you for all your advices, I'll start looking locally for vintage receiver.

Aug 26, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #9,405 of 19,145
Quote:

Ya, that's where I'm at.  If I can get high end vintage for the same price of buying and selling a bunch of receivers and fixing them up, that is where I am heading.

only issue with that is that high end vintage gear (eg SX12xx - 1980) arent at bargain basement prices anymore plus there's the added (not insignificant) cost of refurb. even after its restored to original condition, are we positive that its on a competitive level with the good modern & semi modern stuff? i got my DK amp at alittle more than the price of a SX1250 (& certainly less than a fully restored one) so i know theres bargoons to be had if one has the funds, is ready & patient. definitely not as easy as some mite think.

Quote:
If I recall correctly, Optonica was Sharp's upper line stuff. I'd would be interesting to have just because of it's uniqueness. 

i think Skylab has some experience with Optonica. maybe u mite wanna PM him or even ask him here for his opinion. Optonica is certainly not as prised as some of the other stuff here so theres deals to be had.
Quote:
Following in Skylab's footsteps (a dangerous path, I'm well aware), I thought I'd share my reel to reel deck 
size]
 Not an amp per se, but right at home with the silver face, large toggle switches, and gorgeous peak meters.

following Skylab is more than dangerous. it requires multiple sound rooms & a very very very accommodating partner (something most of us mere mortals arent as endowed with)! lol. goodluck & yes, your pioneer R2R deck is the shytes!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back