Bluewave Audio Get - Bluetooth 5.0 AptX HD 24 bit amp/DAC
Jan 14, 2018 at 1:42 AM Post #136 of 290
I would like to buy the Get after reading review here and out there. But, everyone says volume control of The Get is in need of refinement due to the fact that it might easily be turned accidentally in pocket. I am just wondering if it will be fixed. Additionally, can someone with the Get say up to how many meters can it connect to a source with/without any obstacle (like wall)?

Jan 14, 2018 at 1:59 AM Post #137 of 290
I would like to buy the Get after reading review here and out there. But, everyone says volume control of The Get is in need of refinement due to the fact that it might easily be turned accidentally in pocket. I am just wondering if it will be fixed. Additionally, can someone with the Get say up to how many meters can it connect to a source with/without any obstacle (like wall)?

I personally don't have any issues with the wheel... Even when in pocket. I also make sure when the wheel is at max volume, it doesn't hurt my ears by controlling the volume on the phone.

As for range, I've had interference when phone was in my left pocket and get was in the right pocket, but overall it's pretty breakup free. My second get is paired on a bt transmitter on my TV. I can get some breakups when in line of sight about 5 feet from the BT device and I've been 20 feet away with a wall in the way with zero breakups as well. Hard to give you an exact appreciation. Overall, it's more than satisfactory to me considering bluetooth is never fully stable anyway.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #138 of 290
I received mine this week and love it, In the past I have had a Cowon S9 and Z2 and the GET surpassed both of those for sound quality. I am using a pair of Shure SRH 440s with them and have no complaints.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2018 at 6:31 AM Post #140 of 290
Update from me. I am the Shure SE535 user for whom the Get was unusable because of the impedance miss-match:

I found an Etymotic impedance adaptor in my box of bits and tried that with the Get > SE535. It worked in as much as it definitely reduced the output into the IEMS and made them 'listenable', but the quality of the sound was weird - it had an 'uncontrolled' and bloaty quality to it.

So I made up an impedance adapter as described here and suitable for balanced armature IEMS. It makes a HUGE difference. With the impedances better matched, I can now hear what the Get is capable of via my SE535's - and it's very impressive. The hiss is almost completely gone, and it sounds fkn great actually! Easily outperforms the Fiio BTR1 now. It's not a long-term solution as I don't want to need to use an adapter with the Get, and I can still only use 25% of the volume, but I am now able to get an idea of the quality of the output from the Get.

I saw the update from Bluewave about producing some Get's with lowered gain - now I've heard how good it can be I would definitely be interested in buying one.

Another 'mod' I did was to take the Get apart and stick a damper to the inside of the casing over the volume wheel, in order to restrict the free movement of the wheel. The volume control is now much stiffer, easier to control and can handle being in my pocket without the volume constantly being nudged out of position.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #141 of 290
Update from me. I am the Shure SE535 user for whom the Get was unusable because of the impedance miss-match:

I found an Etymotic impedance adaptor in my box of bits and tried that with the Get > SE535. It worked in as much as it definitely reduced the output into the IEMS and made them 'listenable', but the quality of the sound was weird - it had an 'uncontrolled' and bloaty quality to it.

So I made up an impedance adapter as described here and suitable for balanced armature IEMS. It makes a HUGE difference. With the impedances better matched, I can now hear what the Get is capable of via my SE535's - and it's very impressive. The hiss is almost completely gone, and it sounds fkn great actually! Easily outperforms the Fiio BTR1 now. It's not a long-term solution as I don't want to need to use an adapter with the Get, and I can still only use 25% of the volume, but I am now able to get an idea of the quality of the output from the Get.

I saw the update from Bluewave about producing some Get's with lowered gain - now I've heard how good it can be I would definitely be interested in buying one.

Another 'mod' I did was to take the Get apart and stick a damper to the inside of the casing over the volume wheel, in order to restrict the free movement of the wheel. The volume control is now much stiffer, easier to control and can handle being in my pocket without the volume constantly being nudged out of position.

Great news! What did you use as a damper material? Can you write up a step by step for everyone's benefit?

Jan 22, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #142 of 290
Great news! What did you use as a damper material? Can you write up a step by step for everyone's benefit?

Hesitate to do a write up because it will be very easy to break the Get while doing this!! Personally I was OK with that....

1. Unscrew the top metal circular cap - the cap that retains the shirt-clip.
2. Unscrew the inner threaded retainer ring with large screwdriver. The thread appears to have some form of threadlock on it, so it is a bit stiff.
3. Prize off the lower circular metal cap (this pops off).
4. Wiggle the metal tube off - the three button caps will fall out.
5. Unclip the plastic side covers by prizing open gently from the volume control side. Be careful as the battery can flop lose.
6. I used a sliver of sticky-backed felt pad (like this) scarfed down to about 2mm thickness - which I stuck to the inside of the plastic casing, positioned to push onto the volume wheel when reassembled. A 5mm diameter circular pad should do the trick. You need to get the pad quite thin here, otherwise the case will not snap back on properly when you reassemble.
7. Reassembly is the reverse of the above

Once again, I take zero responsibility if your break your Get whilst trying this mod!

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #143 of 290
Hesitate to do a write up because it will be very easy to break the Get while doing this!! Personally I was OK with that....

2. Unscrew the inner threaded retainer ring with large screwdriver. The thread appears to have some form of threadlock on it, so it is a bit stiff.
5. Unclip the plastic side covers by prizing open gently from the volume control side. Be careful as the battery can flop lose.
6. I used a sliver of sticky-backed felt pad (like this) scarfed down to about 2mm thickness - which I stuck to the inside of the plastic casing, positioned to push onto the volume wheel when reassembled. A 5mm diameter circular pad should do the trick. You need to get the pad quite thin here, otherwise the case will not snap back on properly when you reassemble.

Once again, I take zero responsibility if your break your Get whilst trying this mod!

I think the best one helping to get rid of hiss is this. But, it is not cheap, which makes me not to invest in the Get.

Jan 22, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #144 of 290

I just tried this. I used a few layers of thin electrical tape, and it achieved the desired effect. Thanks!

Jan 22, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #145 of 290

Good stuff! I will get back here soon with some update regarding the hiss some are experiencing. I like the modding thing, I myself do those things all the time. That being said, I want to officially put it here that we don't recommend it. There is a real high risk of damaging the GET. In all honesty I'm also afraid that the clip will come loose ever after by altering the thread lock. We have been working on this ourself. Drop us an email at info@bluewaveaudio.ca if you feel the wheel is too loose we will do our best to help you. We want you to be happy with your product.
Regards.
Pierre

Jan 22, 2018 at 11:03 PM Post #146 of 290
I received the Get today. Did a quick listen with Cypherus Audio Black earbuds (which are 32 Ohm), and did not notice any hiss. (In fairness, my husband was playing God knows what from the crappy Alexa speaker in the kitchen, so it was hardly a critical listening session). I like the form factor a lot. I use either a GeekOut V2+ Infinity or Mojo and work, and the sound quality is better, but they are bulkier and wired from an iPhone (and also significantly more costly than the Get). I'd definitely be interested in an impedance adapter in case hiss is a problem with my IEMs, but my initial impression is that the Get is a very good value.

Jan 24, 2018 at 7:14 AM Post #147 of 290
So my GET should be arriving later today. Unfortunately it is being sent to my Parent's address (I was between addresses at the time and needed a stable address to post to) so it'll be later this week I finally get to try it. Looking forward to this quite a bit. Hoping this will be my one stop office solution to leave my phone on the charger on my desk whilst I walk of around the office to the large format printers.

Jan 24, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #148 of 290
I received my Bluewave Get yesterday. (I was part of the crowdfunding platform on Indigogo, in an early tier.)

I have been eagerly awaiting this product before any such device existed and did not hesitate in the least as soon as I heard of the Bluewave offering.

I’ve had a few hours of listening so far, and believe I can fairly represent what my impressions are thus far. To summarize at the beginning, Get SOUNDS GREAT!

Can safely say that it has the cleanest Bluetooth sound quality of any BT device that I have heard so far. [Which is substantial quantity, as I have probably a dozen or more receivers for earphones/headphones, speakers, BT for my car audio and my home hifi system (which is in an acoustically-treated listening room that includes 4-way tower monitors that I custom-designed and built, 31 band EQ, valve preamps, high-end T-amps, etc.-- I have training as a recording engineer and also have multi-track recording equipment). I also build my own BT speaker systems from scratch, using BT PCBs and amp boards.]

The sound is CLEAN, with very articulate, detailed, transmission. The entire frequency spectrum is well-represented, with no particular peaks throughout. Meaning the bass isn’t bloated or muddy, the treble doesn’t contain harshness in certain regions. It that respect, I was afraid it might have a “tone” or pre-decided sound signature (EQ) for ‘warmth’ or an overly-pronounced “smile EQ” profile. It does have punchy bass, and sparkling highs, but the midrange is also clean and pure and not pushed to the background. Yeaaah!!

Stereo separation is very good, with GREAT IMAGING. The sound floor is very low with a good ‘blackness’ during quiet moments in sound. There are too many variables with smartphone audio to even mention or fairly review. All phone processes can interrupt, cause clicks, phone noises, etc., so those are not fair to evaluate and must try to be overlooked. (I regularly turn off many processes, notifications, etc. when I am solely listening to music. Even things like Location services I have found cause dropouts in BT, etc).

My GET paired immediately to my phone with no problems whatsoever. No code was needed, the device name (Bluewave Get) was shown and connected strongly and with no issues. It has connected automatically--immediately and with consistency--in further pairings.

I have as yet to test the built-in microphone and use for phone calls, but will add observations later if needed.

For reference, I am using an Android phone, LG V20. This device has very good audio components (quad-DAC, clean amp able to push high-impedance headphones), as well as the apt-x HD codec for BT transmission. That I one reason I was excited to pair the Get with another apt-hd device. I can safely say that the sound is very clean, and certainly nearly as good as wired sound. I haven’t heard anything that comes closer to direct-wired sound. And certainly this has become even more important for the newer devices that do not even contain a 3.5mm headphone jack (and quite sure that “feature” will become the norm on most smartphones very soon).

My phone briefly showed a message confirming that I was connected to a apt-x HD device. One concern however is that the GET showed a blue LED, rather than purple (as the initial Bluewave information stated it would be purple for apt-x HD connections). I am not sure if that has changed during production, or if there is a problem. The sound quality was certainly good, and I listened to a variety of files including FLAC and mp3 (lower and highest rates). My primary smartphone/device player is PowerAmp (alpha build 704). I use custom EQ profiles for each IEM/headphone, speaker, car audio, etc. as each tuning can require some adjustments.

I have tried several headphones, including V-Moda M100, M80/xs, AudioTechnica ATH-M50, Shure SRH 940, Mee Pinnacle P1/P2, etc.—all with good results on the GET. I have tweaked EQ profiles for the BT versions of the devices.

A few things that are of a bit of concern to me I will discuss now. Firstly, the analog potentiometer “steps” or values seem heavily weighted to the max side of the pot. Meaning, I have to turn the volume knob several degrees of turning (from “-“ setting) to get ANY sound, then the degrees of turn need to be very precise to vary the level I want to very loud (max “+” setting). This is a bit troublesome in use. It does not affect the quality of the sound, nor do I need to constantly change the volume. I understand that your source volume can play a role here (as it is essentially pre-amping) but the pot values still do not seem properly weighted throughout the turns even with lower/higher volumes on sources.

Secondly, the RANGE of BT seems very low. At times, I can barely get a few yards from my phone before losing TX or having dropouts. Mind you, when its close it is solid and great, just the actual range is not very far. By contrast, other devices seem to double, or even quadruple range before dropping out (although they do not sound as good). For example, the BT built into my SMSL AD18 amp seems to have many times more range. I can barely get out of the same room with GET, but can go into 3 rooms and downstairs with the amp’s BT without losing connection. I understand this can be expected with such a small device, and the size of the antenna, and RF shielding, etc. As well as the varied devices being paired--just an observation with the devices I am currently using. I understand RF probably more than the average person, as I build BT boards into my own speakers and shielding for electronics in close-proximity, transmission through the housings, etc are very tricky…

For summary, the GET Is what I wanted it to be. It is finally the device that can compare to WIRED SOUND QUALITY without wires, through a BT connection! So I can keep my phone in my pocket, backpack, and not have to mess with it.

All of the controls on the GET work flawlessly. The main power button (bigger round one) is multi-function, also controlling Play/Pause and to Answer calls. The two triangular buttons are FF/REV tracks. (you can also hold down the track buttons to ff/rev within the same track, at least with PowerAmp). All buttons have a good feel to them, are easy to find by feel and use without looking at them, have a positive click without accidently having multiple clicks. The layout is very ergonomic, for me its perfect.

I personally like the analog wheel volume control rather than volume buttons (pot-weighting aside). The clip is strong and attached well to clothing. The device seems SOLID and well-constructed.

At the moment, I could not open the USER MANUAL document (in English and French) on the Bluewave website:
http://www.bluewaveaudio.ca/bwg01/
but I am sure that will be corrected soon and before mass production/distribution.

I would like to find out if the LED color functions are as they originally stated. It certainly utilizes an RGB LED, as other colors are used for functions (Blinking Blue for pairing BT, Blue for connected BT, Red for charging, Green when fully charged).
Some reviewers have mentioned wanting a USB-C port rather than the usb-micro port. I too, like the newer C standard but it is bigger, probably making the device need to be larger, and not as mainstream in use as yet. Charging was fast but i have not completely drained the battery yet, running a good 5-6 hours though in use.

The GET also looks very good, I think. Its understated--No flashy colors or style, but works with all dress and is “out of the way.” It has some solidity to it but is rather light in actual weight. I like the headphone jack placement on the bottom out of the way too.

I hope these observations are of some help to those still waiting for their GET. Overall, I am greatly pleased and think that Bluewave has produced a superior BT amp! It truly does sound very good, rivaling wired sound quality and dedicated headphone amplifiers. The BT transmission is clean and detailed, sound floor is low, the amp is loud and punchy. In sound quality, for the size, it is truly remarkable!

tim
I got my GET today, and my impressions are similar. The build and sound quality is superb. Very easy to set up, but the range is severely lacking... even to the point that the sound breaks at 50cm (20 inches) if my arm is in the way.
Having direct line of site gives me about 2 meters (6,5 feet), that's about it. At twice that range the sound cut's out if I am moving, and even sitting still at 5m (16 feet) the sound constantly break's up.

My 5 year old Samsung Bluetooth device, have twice the range, and have no problems going through a concrete wall, to the room next to the device or having the phone inside and sending the sound out to the balcony 3-4 meters through the closed door.

I am wondering what the problem is? I am sure that it is a good chip (Qualcomm) I have one in my phone, and have never had any problems with it. But perhaps a lacking antenna or to small buffer?

Other than that, the melody is a little anoying, when you start the unit and the wheel is a little to sensitivie (move it one millimeter, and the sound goes from to low, to, to high).

Jan 24, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #149 of 290
I got my GET today, and my impressions are similar. The build and sound quality is superb. Very easy to set up, but the range is severely lacking... even to the point that the sound breaks at 50cm (20 inches) if my arm is in the way.
Having direct line of site gives me about 2 meters (6,5 feet), that's about it. At twice that range the sound cut's out if I am moving, and even sitting still at 5m (16 feet) the sound constantly break's up.

My 5 year old Samsung Bluetooth device, have twice the range, and have no problems going through a concrete wall, to the room next to the device or having the phone inside and sending the sound out to the balcony 3-4 meters through the closed door.

I am wondering what the problem is? I am sure that it is a good chip (Qualcomm) I have one in my phone, and have never had any problems with it. But perhaps a lacking antenna or to small buffer?

Other than that, the melody is a little anoying, when you start the unit and the wheel is a little to sensitivie (move it one millimeter, and the sound goes from to low, to, to high).
The Samsung unit isn't big either (and it manages bigger range), and the small 100mA battery would last about 3h when it was new (I am using Ultrasone Pro 900 headphones). Of course with a lot less sound quality. 20180124_215512.jpg

Jan 24, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #150 of 290
I have to agree on the range, seems very poor in my experience as well. I have dropouts even within inches of my phone, which leads me to believe there are some issues going on, ie: shielding, antenna placement? Experiments show me even touching or holding the device (or moving hand across it to change tracks) causes moments of tx/rx problems.
I still love the SQ, but the range is unfortunately a definite issue in my use with my copy. Im wondering how the BT antenna is configured, if it is affected by output jack, ground...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back