BGVP discussion thread DM7/ DM6/DMG and NEW BA series
Mar 7, 2019 at 5:55 PM Post #2,836 of 5,353
I have a set of Velodyne Vpulse IEMs from about 6 years ago. They are pretty used, in the area of 10k hours of playtime. Recently I wanted to make sure I could still use a pair, so i got on ebay and found a pink pair of unused ones (they are discontinued).

When I got the new pair, to my surprise they sounded MUCH BETTER than my older beat up pair. This could be alot of things, but I noticed immediately doing a/b comparisons, the treble on the new pair was far and away better, more detailed and more resolving. The older pair sounded fairly bass heavy and a little scooped in the midrange with rolled off treble. This is only one example BUT I do think a dynamic driver can wear out over time. Ever seen an old BOSE driver? Yeah..

It may be people prefer the sound of a slightly worn driver, I can sure accept that. But what is for sure is the manufacture tested the driver in a new scenario, and the tuning is for that response.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #2,837 of 5,353
I am always quite fascinated on the topic of cables, cable burn in, and IEM burn in.

Believers say they experience a sonic difference, and there is enough of them to conclude that there is no reason that they are lying. The nonbelievers consistently point to measurements and evidence that there is no difference, and that could be true as well.
Before this thread gets locked, can anyone point me to a proper source of testing and data on IEM burn in, cable swapping, and cable burn in? The test needs to be a before and after test, with proper setup.
If this does not exist, then someday I would like to test this myself.

Burn in can be subtle and is different with every earphone. You also tend to find that dynamic drivers change more than armature drivers... but in general it means that the low end [If it is TOO bloomy, bloated, or wooly] out of the box, after a certain amount of time - usually from 60 to 120 hours of play - will sound tighter, more defined, better behaved and more integrated with the rest of the mix. Treble which may be harsh at first, as has been reported here on this thread many times - after 200 hours sounds smoother, more well behaved with any initial harshness no longer appearing.
Over all you may find that the character of the earphone changes. The Kanas Pro is a great example of this - after 100 hours it becomes much warmer with the mids filling out and the soundstage becoming a lot more holographic in its presentation - This has been reported by most people in the KPE thread!

There is different schools of thought on burn in practically speaking - Some prefer to run 'pink noise' though the IEM for hours. Other prefer to use music that has a full range of frequencies and a great dynamic range - For myself I like to use Brandenburg Concertos

You can just run music through them for as many hours as you wish although it is advised to give them a break every few hours or so.

End of the day - give it a try - especially if you buy a new headphone and find some aspects a bit 'rough' - Makes some notes then leave them playing overnight (normal levels) with a rest for 3-4 nights then come back to them and see if you perceive any changes.
Maybe also use a well recorded, well mastered lossless source - Just keep an open mind. You have nothing to loose :)

Bear in mind as well, what everyone tends to forget - is that we listen to music through our physical ears but it is our mind that experiences the audio - The human mind is infinitely more subtle than any scientific piece of apparatus and far more powerful.

Mar 7, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #2,838 of 5,353
I am always quite fascinated on the topic of cables, cable burn in, and IEM burn in.

Believers say they experience a sonic difference, and there is enough of them to conclude that there is no reason that they are lying. The nonbelievers consistently point to measurements and evidence that there is no difference, and that could be true as well.

Before this thread gets locked, can anyone point me to a proper source of testing and data on IEM burn in, cable swapping, and cable burn in? The test needs to be a before and after test, with proper setup.

If this does not exist, then someday I would like to test this myself.

HERE is an interesting article from back in the day by Tyll. It's not IEMs, but interesting none the less.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2019 at 10:06 PM Post #2,840 of 5,353
So what cables can you guys suggest with the DM6? Can link me to them? :grin:
I suggest you try the latest fiio cable: LC-3.5C/2.5C it sounded pleasing at least for meh. however, you can always audition it

Mar 8, 2019 at 12:07 AM Post #2,843 of 5,353
Mar 8, 2019 at 12:13 AM Post #2,844 of 5,353
FIIO cable did not do it for me. I am using an 8 core Yiinyo one, with (IMO) better results (and cheaper).
Dont mind describing the sound for both fiio cable and the current one you using and it will be nice if you send the link for the cable you are using it now thanks in advance.

Mar 8, 2019 at 2:06 AM Post #2,846 of 5,353
Mod Comment:

1) Off topic posts have been deleted. If you wish to engage in discussion related to sound science, please do so in the appropriate category.
This is a discussion thread for a specific product(s), and the line has been crossed to what should be considered relevant and/or useful given the totality of circumstances.

2) Unfortunately, while some of you contributed very meaningful and deliberated posts, I have no choice but to delete anything linked to individual posts that are both offensive and personal in nature.

That being said, let's try to keep the discourse civil.
Understand that there will always be someone who believes in something different than you, and as long as they are not spreading outright falsities, it is fully expected you respect their opinion(s).

Mar 8, 2019 at 2:26 AM Post #2,847 of 5,353
Penon Fiery works great for me with Dm6

Mar 8, 2019 at 3:20 AM Post #2,849 of 5,353
So what cables can you guys suggest with the DM6? Can link me to them? :grin:

I got the BGVP OCC cable. Very nice looking but a little rubbery stiff. I than came across the ISN S8 cable that seems very interesting as it uses separate copper and silver plated strands. An owner has reported it working very well with the DM6.
Also Good price at $32.

I have used Fiio's old cables and recent stock cables. Fiio silver cables are too soft. Isn s8 is medium soft better build quality. Fiio cables are tightly twisted where isn h8 and s8 are a bit loose. Sonically isn cables performing very good. Specially H8. Using H8 with Bgvp dm6 and improvImpro is noticeable. Much more cleaner now everything. For that price isn 8 core cables are my first choice than Fiio.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/low...uck-cable-thread.891911/page-56#post-14820541

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2019 at 5:23 AM Post #2,850 of 5,353
I recently compared the DM6 with other mid-tier IEMS in my possession. My DAPs (ZX300 and Cowon Plenue M2) also belonging to the mid-tier segment, I thought it could be a pleasent exercice. I had a lot of fun switching cables, tips, daps, in order to find the best combination for each IEM. Here is my wrap-up after days of comparison. My music tastes are quite eclectic, from OST to m/f vocalists, ambient, jazz, electronic and 80's/90s Rock and Pop. I am now thinking about elaborating my sound impressions on each combo a bit further.
IEM_DAP.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back