BGVP discussion thread DM7/ DM6/DMG and NEW BA series
Mar 1, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #2,792 of 5,353
To be honest with you, all starts with the recording, the way it had been mastered. It goes like this for CD-rip, Vinyl-Rip and digital files. When the record has been correctly mastered, I find that the IEM/Headphones makes the differences. Then, the source. Finally, the accessories - cable, tips, pads, etc... Everything plays a role in the sound experience, but that is my personal order.

This is particularly true for the DM6 as we know of it's very sensitive nature to slightest changes.

One moment I can be having an awesome sublime experience listening to an album and next moment be hit with WTH from another album.

For instance I was listening to Hopes and Fears album FLAC by Keane and it sounded really well balanced and dynamic without any listening fatigue. I've even fallen sleep listening to it previously. When the DAP went on to play the next Keane album Under The Iron Sea it suddenly became not a nice experience.

Quizzing around I discovered that album had been produced with over raised volume and compressed dynamics. This explained why I was hearing the album in the unexpected way. When I heard the same tracks on a Tidal compilation they sounded better with there lower recording volumes.

So yes the DM6 is very fussy with the source recordings because of its high detail retrieval especially in the highs. I've opted to go with vinyl rips over FLAC in some cases where the recordings on CD were badly done. E.g Adele albums with cranked volume levels killing dynamics. These types of recordings can come across unpleasant with DM6 soon as you start to raise the volume levels.

This evening I have been going through my Uni years favourite - Dire Straits. I can highly recommend the SHM CD recordings if not SACD of this group (Alchemy might be only exception). Over the years I've heard the albums on tape, vinyl and CD and they have Never sounded so incredible as they do with DM6. Fantastic micro detail retrieval, 3d stereo imaging, open soundstage, clean controlled tight bass and zero sibilance.
I would describe the highs as silky smooth.

Listening to these albums has made me appreciate what the DM6 are capable of when quality recordings are combined with good equipment. I'm currently using V30, IFI Ear buddy, BGVP OCC cable and Philips wide bore tips. V30 is running UAPP App in bit perfect mode - no equ.

I imagine people who only listen to high quality master recordings would love the DM6 and not experience the excessive sibliance issues.
Having said that most of the music I have heard over spotify sounds fine in that I haven't found it more sibliant than FLAC quality. Plus there is Equ option.

If you haven't heard Dire Straits you owe it to yourself to try the following track in the best quality you can get hold of. It makes a good DM6 demo track.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2019 at 3:02 AM Post #2,793 of 5,353
This is particularly true for the DM6 as we know of it's very sensitive nature to slightest changes.

One moment I can be having an awesome sublime experience listening to an album and next moment be hit with WTH from another album.

For instance I was listening to Hopes and Fears album FLAC by Keane and it sounded really well balanced and dynamic without any listening fatigue. I've even fallen sleep listening to it previously. When the DAP went on to play the next Keane album Under The Iron Sea it suddenly became not a nice experience.

Quizzing around I discovered that album had been produced with over raised volume and compressed dynamics. This explained why I was hearing the album in the unexpected way. When I heard the same tracks on a Tidal compilation they sounded better with there lower recording volumes.

So yes the DM6 is very fussy with the source recordings because of its high detail retrieval especially in the highs. I've opted to go with vinyl rips over FLAC in some cases where the recordings on CD were badly done. E.g Adele albums with cranked volume levels killing dynamics. These types of recordings can come across unpleasant with DM6 soon as you start to raise the volume levels.

This evening I have been going through my Uni years favourite - Dire Straits. I can highly recommend the SHM CD recordings if not SACD of this group (Alchemy might be only exception). Over the years I've heard the albums on tape, vinyl and CD and they have Never sounded so incredible as they do with DM6. Fantastic micro detail retrieval, 3d stereo imaging, open soundstage, clean controlled tight bass and zero sibilance.

Listening to these albums has made me appreciate what the DM6 are capable of when quality recordings are combined with good equipment. I'm currently using V30, IFI Ear buddy, BGVP OCC cable and Philips wide bore tips. V30 is running UAPP App in bit perfect mode - no equ.

I imagine people who only listen to high quality master recordings would love the DM6 and not experience the excessive sibliance issues.
Having said that most of the music I have heard over spotify sounds fine in that I haven't found it more sibliant than FLAC quality. Plus there is Equ option.

If you haven't heard Dire Straits you owe it to yourself to try the following track in the best quality you can get hold of. It makes a good DM6 demo track.

Thanks for this post. If available, I always got the SHM or SACD versions of my favorite artists (Sting, Talk Talk, Kate Bush, Elbow, Peter Gabriel, Bryan Ferry, Pink Floyd, Bruce Springsteen, etc...and Dire Straits of course). My mother tongue being french, I listen to an artist named Francis Cabrel. His 2 best albums have been made in the 90's and the mastering is the best I have ever heard on both of these albums. They actually are famous for it, in France, but also within the french speaking part of Europe. The standard CD recording is already perfect. You don't hear the music, you taste it, you are swimming into it... At that moment, you know that music is soooo important in your life and that you cannot live without it.
The DM6 are really enjoyable to listen to and their sound signature is truly pleasent with properly recorded music. I second the way you describe it.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #2,794 of 5,353
.. I listen to an artist named Francis Cabrel. His 2 best albums have been made in the 90's and the mastering is the best I have ever heard on both of these albums. They actually are famous for it, in France, but also within the french speaking part of Europe. The standard CD recording is already perfect. You don't hear the music, you taste it, you are swimming into it... At that moment, you know that music is soooo important in your life and that you cannot live without it.

We have similar music taste so I will be rushing to listen to some of Francis Cabrel.
What are the 2 albums called ?

Mar 2, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #2,795 of 5,353
We have similar music taste so I will be rushing to listen to some of Francis Cabrel.
What are the 2 albums called ?
"Samedi soir sur la Terre" & "Hors Saison". A great selection of his songs are available on the compilation "77 - 87". It's an artist putting a lot of meaning behind his lyrics. The instruments arrangement is stellar on the above mentioned albums. I hope you will enjoy it.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #2,796 of 5,353
By chance I came across the sennheiser ie800 replacement tips which have a built in dust filter.

Anybody know if these could me made to fit the DM6 ?

880E2005-F82C-4A26-88C2-F182E4D66F7F.jpeg
DFEC2D0B-0349-4186-AF6C-B0F58DF0C31E.png

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/qzrFJDR

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #2,798 of 5,353

For me heavily compressed albums like Adele's 25 were almost unlistenable, but now with the DM6s they sound better than I have ever heard them before.
When I first got my DM6's they were very sibilant to such an extent that I actually preferred my Tin Audio T2's over them.
I'm willing to admit now hat high DR compression (when done properly, NOT brick-walled) recordings are not an issue for me anymore.
Adele sounded fantastic on my rig which consists of Audirvana Plus on an old iMac (Upsampled to 32 bit / 352 kHz) and a cheap LG Hi-Fi Plus DAC.
With other sibilant albums it's more or less the same. I even changed my pure copper cable back for a silver plated one. I listen for hours and hours without fatigue

Mar 3, 2019 at 5:22 PM Post #2,799 of 5,353
Welp, I finally figured out my problem with the DM6 and also other universal fit IEMs like the Kanas Pro. My right canal is defective. This is not going to be easy to work around:

(the ear canal itself is the wrong angle compared to universal IEMs :frowning2: this blocks treble in that ear )

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #2,800 of 5,353
I've had good look with 4.1 to 4.5mm with DM6. These should work fine.

In theory it seems that it would be fine but if you take a look at the exploded design view there is also a plastic casing inside the silicon tip. Wondering if this would interfere with fitting and if so could it be discarded without losing the dust filter too.

For me heavily compressed albums like Adele's 25 were almost unlistenable, but now with the DM6s they sound better than I have ever heard them before.
When I first got my DM6's they were very sibilant to such an extent that I actually preferred my Tin Audio T2's over them.
I'm willing to admit now hat high DR compression (when done properly, NOT brick-walled) recordings are not an issue for me anymore.
Adele sounded fantastic on my rig which consists of Audirvana Plus on an old iMac (Upsampled to 32 bit / 352 kHz) and a cheap LG Hi-Fi Plus DAC.
With other sibilant albums it's more or less the same. I even changed my pure copper cable back for a silver plated one. I listen for hours and hours without fatigue

Maybe I will have to give the the CD FLACS a shot based on your feedback. The VinylRips sound great and I have no real complaints of them.

Did you imply you no longer find the DM6 sibilant after having spent more time with them or because of your rig ?

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #2,801 of 5,353
anyone tried those TRN BT20 with the DM6? do they sound good together and also do they produce hiss?

Mar 4, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #2,803 of 5,353
In theory it seems that it would be fine but if you take a look at the exploded design view there is also a plastic casing inside the silicon tip. Wondering if this would interfere with fitting and if so could it be discarded without losing the dust filter too.

Maybe I will have to give the the CD FLACS a shot based on your feedback. The VinylRips sound great and I have no real complaints of them.

Did you imply you no longer find the DM6 sibilant after having spent more time with them or because of your rig ?

I've just listened to "Hello" both on FLAC 16-44 and DSD (vinyl rip) and both are very close.
When I switch on upsampling I actually prefer the FLAC, much spacier sound.
Adele's voice is quite rough around the edges and that doesn't go away with DSD or FLAC (with or without upsampling).
The thing is that her voice (and the music) sounds more enjoyable now.
Going back to an old Hifiman player I still have lying around confirms that the DM6 is the biggest factor.

I have around 300 hours on them now and they sound very different now from when they were new.
The highs were very grainy and sibilant with certain recordings.
Cymbals and hi-hats sounded just like noise in the beginning, now they sound very accurate.
So then I bought an expensive pure copper cable like most people here. But this only masked the problem, as I could still hear the distortion.
Later I changed it back for a good silver plated one because i found the sound a little dark.
This was for me the the moment when I realised why they were hyped so much. A true high-end sound!

Mar 4, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #2,804 of 5,353
Welp, I finally figured out my problem with the DM6 and also other universal fit IEMs like the Kanas Pro. My right canal is defective. This is not going to be easy to work around:

(the ear canal itself is the wrong angle compared to universal IEMs :frowning2: this blocks treble in that ear )

That does not look comfortable! Time to go custom perhaps if you have that much trouble with universals? I know the feeling, right ear for me is between ear tips sizes so small doesn't fit and medium up hurts.

Mar 4, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #2,805 of 5,353
That does not look comfortable! Time to go custom perhaps if you have that much trouble with universals? I know the feeling, right ear for me is between ear tips sizes so small doesn't fit and medium up hurts.

THIS IS ME!!!! It totally sucks. I'm heartbroken

Users who are viewing this thread

Back