BGVP discussion thread DM7/ DM6/DMG and NEW BA series
Feb 3, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #2,191 of 5,353
Okay guys I need help. I'm interesting in the dm6 bc its relatively cheap and it's praised being really good. My main use for it will be gym use and whenever I'm away from home. I do not own a dap and don't really want to spend a lot of money because I mainly use headphones(zmf verite). So my question is for my use will the dm6 and my galaxy s9 be sufficient? Or should i buy a better cable and a dap. If so what dap?

I just bought a Shanling M2s in a sale (£99 down from £199) Gotta say Im pretty blown away by good they sound. Coming from iBasso DX80, a beastly dual Day/opamp DAP Im super impressed with it
Perfect for Audiophile travelling! Maybe something to look at ?
Here

Feb 3, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #2,193 of 5,353
Hi mate - out of curiosity do you use the standard lightning to 3.5mm adaptor for the iPhone XS? I have an iPhone X and any IEMs I try using the standard lighting to 3.5mm adaptor sound awful and extremely dull. Especially the DM6 :frowning2:

Hi friend, how's fh5 vs dm6

Feb 3, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #2,194 of 5,353
The DM6 is really good, but not fit for using at the gym. It doesn't have vent-holes, and it relies on thigh air-pressure to operate, which might cause problems when you are moving/training (you might hurt your ears actually). The BGVP DMG might be a better choice for you. That's my advice.
The DM6 is really good, but not fit for using at the gym. It doesn't have vent-holes, and it relies on thigh air-pressure to operate, which might cause problems when you are moving/training (you might hurt your ears actually). The BGVP DMG might be a better choice for you. That's my advice.
? What type of advice is that? It's wrong.

I have the galaxy S9 snapdragon edition and it is actually decent with the DM6. You should absolutely get a cheap pure copper 8 core cable and you are good to go. The DM6 is very comfortable to wear at the gym. I was using my R6 yesterday with it because it is simply better and doing cardio and weights with the DM6 I didn't blow my ear-drums. Maybe I have special ears? I have done trainings with my customs iems with no problems for a number of years.
That's my advice.

Feb 3, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #2,195 of 5,353
I really do enjoy Deezloader's Hifi downloaded music xd

Can you give me a link to that post? I was going to download that and then lost track of it. Can't find it now, but I remember seeing it.

Feb 3, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #2,197 of 5,353
Dongle shmongle, who needs that thing? Get the Radsone ES100 - End of story.

Best device I had in years. Reminds me of the early days of Mojo.

Do you see a difference in SQ beetwen hiby and es100

Feb 3, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #2,198 of 5,353
Do you exercise with your mouth closed? Or is it open (or both?)? Does moving your jaw (opening and closing your mouth) while breathing during exercise affect the ear-canals, possibly causing pressure differences? I'm talking from my personal experience. I can't even move my neck without my ears being under stress with the DM6 with tight seal. Again, that's just my "wrong experience".
I have zero problem with iems while exercising and I assume that the person requesting advice doesn't either. Cardio makes me exhale from my mouth and when I do weights I am not sure I open my mouth that much but I will definitely notice next time I go.
What you describe is absolutely not the norm. Do you have issues decompressing your ears in altitude or when you do scuba diving? That could explain some issues you have with the DM6...

Feb 3, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #2,200 of 5,353
O/T

Sorry I have not been very clear. Everyone needs to decompress in altitude that's true but some people have a really hard time to do so (my wife for example) while I just have to block my nose, blow and done, ears are at the right pressure again.
Anyway, it is not very relevant to the thread anymore.

Feb 3, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #2,201 of 5,353
Okay guys I need help. I'm interesting in the dm6 bc its relatively cheap and it's praised being really good. My main use for it will be gym use and whenever I'm away from home. I do not own a dap and don't really want to spend a lot of money because I mainly use headphones(zmf verite). So my question is for my use will the dm6 and my galaxy s9 be sufficient? Or should i buy a better cable and a dap. If so what dap?

The DM6 is very easy to drive with phones and it’s not a necessity to get a DAP just for gym use. Upgrade Copper cable will help to smooth its sibilant highs. In fact I would say the DM6 is an overkill if it’s purely for gym use and would also go with recommending the BGVP DMG.

DMG is cheaper and has similar tuning with a great bass from a dynamic driver.

It’s overall easier to get along with for most people as it doesn’t have criticism of sibilance or getting good fitting straight away which the DM6 does. I think the DMG is more of something you can pick up & plug in your ears straight and know that it’s going to sound good without having to do anything else. Concentrate on your workout.

Whichever one you get buy the FIIO BT3 and a short mmcx cable to go with it rather than a DAP for gym.
Than you can stream music using BT LDAC from your S9 in lossless quality to the BT3 connected to your headphones. It’s very cheap for what it does really well. I have been using it without issues. Es100 is another more expensive option.

shopify_1_91e4bda8-a903-43c8-a39a-b0c045513afb_large.jpg

https://www.fiio.com/btr3

Feb 3, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #2,202 of 5,353
Dongle shmongle, who needs that thing? Get the Radsone ES100 - End of story.

Best device I had in years. Reminds me of the early days of Mojo.

The strength of es100 is the BT connectivity right ?

You can’t connect it as a dongle direct to PC/phone as a HiRes dac amp ?

Feb 3, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #2,203 of 5,353
GSM arena actually measured it incorrectly (which was discussed many times), that's why they actually have hid the review, but because I'm me, here's the super-secret link. You can compare it wit the results that Juan Bagnell form pocketnow did (and I trust him completely, because he loves audio and knows what he's doing), using the "Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 (2nd Gen)" interface (that I wanna get for running my tests). He even does IEM reviews now as well.

Anyway, GSM arena used the stock player in SuperHifi mode, which is the only combo that uses that particular "coloration" to it's max, or sound enhancement, that is called "Velvet Sound", which is AKM's proprietary enhancement (same like Sony's DSEE HX), and it's exactly what it looks like on the graph. It's an AMP based regime (filter) designed for the 4490EQ DAC. Some people (with cold/analytical headphones IEMs) love it (like me with the T2's, which is understandable from looking at the graph, it's like an bass-boost EQ), others (with transparent and already warm IEMs like the DM6) hate it (also me in that case). I think HBB mentioned that same thing with the iBasso DX200 I believe, with it's original amp module. It's not a problem with the amp (the "Velvet" sound), it's actually a feature :ksc75smile:, that changes the sound to "improve it" on crappy gear, but makes good gear sound terrible. :ksc75smile:

And as I've said, the higher internal impedance WILL AMPLIFY extremely that "completely intentional" coloration of the DAC/AMP combo in SuperHiFi mode. Something like this:

As you can see, if the output is completely flat (like the the mini, and it's not that flat as well, only the regular HiFi mode is flat/netrual), amplifying (because of high-gain) an straight line wouldn't change the signature. It will only increase amplification noise, whihc is exactly what is happening with the mini as well. (but at least it doesn't pick up coil whine and wifi as bad as the axon 7, which apparently has some sort of EMI shielding problem in it's audio section as well/ BTW, I've checked a review by Nathan P. on amazon for the DX200 DAP, and strangely, it had the same problem with wi-fi, making the DAP completely unusable with sensitive IEMs and streaming with WiFi, but that's just another piece of the same pie...)

The "velvet sound" is intended to be used as something to "enhance" crappy headphones, and recreate "missing information" from compressed audio. Clearly, it doesn't work if the IEM is completely transparent (like the DM6), and already warm/good sounding, or with good audio files. You are basically adding layers on top of layers of coloration, which get even more extreme by the "higher gain" regime (or higher internal impedance caused by working in 32ohms when the IEM is 20). And you all know what impresses people most - loud V-shaped noises :dt880smile:LOLz (it's a gimmick basically, that I will admit works in some cases, in others is like slap in the face).

So, GSM arena actually measured exactly that SuperHiFi coloration, which is basically like an EXTREME EQ. I mean I can recreate that using parametric EQ on my UAPP player in normal HiFi mode, and it will sound exactly like as if it's in SuperHifi mode. :o2smile:

The Mini axon doesn't have that coloration, and it's very neutral/analytical, so even with the internal impedance problem (which it also has, because it sounds noisy as ***), there is nowhere near the "shift" in tonality as the colored big brother. Which is why I've been recommending it as a neutral/analytical device. I can hear that as a quality though (as in fidelity/smoothness and detail), the AK4490EQ on the big axon 7 beats it. I've listened to both back and forth yesterday on the DM6 (normal HiFi mode), and the best way to describe it, is the mini is "fuzzy", while the Axon 7 is very smooth (probably due to some anti-aliasing+rollof filter applied, in combination with the velvet sound, but yeah, you know the rest).

Dammit, this got too long again... Really sorry. :)
thanks for the detailed info. i don't mind length of the post, if it's informative, like yours.
i understand the problem quite better now. only normal/standard mode is not colored (this is the mode to choose), but it still has the problem of high output impedance probably.
no way for BA iems..

Feb 3, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #2,204 of 5,353
The DM6 is very easy to drive with phones and it’s not a necessity to get a DAP just for gym use. Upgrade Copper cable will help to smooth its sibilant highs. In fact I would say the DM6 is an overkill if it’s purely for gym use and would also go with recommending the BGVP DMG.

DMG is cheaper and has similar tuning with a great bass from a dynamic driver.

It’s overall easier to get along with for most people as it doesn’t have criticism of sibilance or getting good fitting straight away which the DM6 does. I think the DMG is more of something you can pick up & plug in your ears straight and know that it’s going to sound good without having to do anything else. Concentrate on your workout.

Whichever one you get buy the FIIO BT3 and a short mmcx cable to go with it rather than a DAP for gym.
Than you can stream music using BT LDAC from your S9 in lossless quality to the BT3 connected to your headphones. It’s very cheap for what it does really well. I have been using it without issues. Es100 is another more expensive option.

shopify_1_91e4bda8-a903-43c8-a39a-b0c045513afb_large.jpg

https://www.fiio.com/btr3
Only issue with that is it looks like its going to be heavy and dangle. If i could put it in my pocket thats a different story

Feb 3, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #2,205 of 5,353
@MariusAB How are you getting along with the DM6 after all the sibilance troubles you had at the start ?
Well, first impressions was with default cable that in my opinion really makes dm6 more sibilant. It wasnt comfortable to listen sometimes. But i tried many things and at the moment for me sibilance isn't a problem. I still think dm6 tend to have more peaks in this ssshh part of treble. When i put other headphones they are more relaxed there. But at the same time with these peaks dm6 more detailed and transparent. After dm6 It seems then other headphones has like mudines in treble. Dm6 really dependant on the source. If it has relaxed or a little bit rolled of treble then dm6 mimiks that and sounds more relaxed without these sshhh. Also for me the biger wider grey tips from original package takes away the peaks. And still i think my dm6 are at the end of treble peaks i think are comfortable. For me a little bit more and it could be a problem. But dm6 are the most transparent, revealing and techical iems or headphones i have at the moment. They really need good source and a dac. If i play it from my oneplus6 it sounds ok but is more harsher and something is missing. I like them with sabre 9018 separate player or separe portable dac also with 9018. Dont know why but with these dacs they dont have such treble peaks. So after all dm6 needs some playing with them but they are worth this. I dont have much time and interest to make so much experimentation with dm6 as some guys there. But after some basic changes i am happy with them. We will see what they will show for me with different sources in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back