BeyerDynamic owners unite...
Jun 11, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #1,006 of 1,864
DT990 '05 is my favorite headphone. It is really gorgeous for Metal due to the bass and its analytical feature.

002-2.jpg

I often surf the articles which said Grado is the best one for Rock. So I also

bought my friend's 325i (for 50% off
o2smile.gif
). I still prefer DT990 for rock and metal music.

007-2.jpg

Grado325i.jpg

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Jun 12, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #1,007 of 1,864
I'm going in! I'm jumping onto the bandwagon!

I currently own the DT770 Pro (80ohm) for about 2 years now. They were my first headphone I ever got. I didn't get anything else for quite awhile until probably very recently with my 2nd headphone.

I've tried the DT880 Premiums (250 ohm) before and they're quite good as well. They deliver a pretty different sound signature in terms of comparing to the 770s, but pretty nice as well.

Jun 12, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #1,008 of 1,864
has anyone modified their DT770?
I'm just running out of idea on this tightness issue I have with the hardware itself.

Just curious if anyone has change part....I have a cheap Panasonic headphone which has a nice fit, but the quality of audio output has run its course.

I was wondering if able to switch parts around.

advance thanks

Jun 12, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #1,009 of 1,864
I have the DT770 Pro (80 ohm) but have also recently ordered a compass. I was wondering if anyone here has tried them out with the compass and which settings they found to work well with the 770s. It's probably just me with my unamped computer line-out source but at times the highs don't seem as crisp as the lows or mids.

For those that find the cans to be a little tight, I put small bowls around books (with magazines to fine tune the spacing) and placed the 770s around them to stretch out the band. It worked pretty well IMO but I probably could have done without the bowls.

I was looking at getting an RS-1 (or possibly the HF-2) as a contrast to the 770s. Sadly I can't jump on either anytime soon as I have exhausted a good portion of my discretionary budget
frown.gif
. Thoughts?

Jun 12, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #1,010 of 1,864
I have both the Compass and the DT770 pro 80 and although I haven't done a real comparison of the 770 on the Compass, I can tell you that it does sound quite good compared to my stock sound card. I find that the soft settings do not work as well with the Beyers because the bass just gets to be too muddy. Also, as far as your budget goes, you can buy the HF2 and probably expect it to maintain or increase in price after production ends, so buying it now is just like money in the bank.
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 12, 2009 at 9:02 AM Post #1,011 of 1,864
I've had DT990pros for a few years and liked them, but they got replaced as my main cans by my MB Quart QP805 HS which have more solid mids, but after a problem with the 990s I got some old 600ohm 990s and I'm totally in love with them!

Even from a portable amp they do wonderful things, and they're fantastically comfortable. Now I need to get an amp with enough power to do them justice.

Jun 12, 2009 at 10:02 AM Post #1,012 of 1,864
Quote:

Originally Posted by lecky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had DT990pros for a few years and liked them, but they got replaced as my main cans by my MB Quart QP805 HS which have more solid mids, but after a problem with the 990s I got some old 600ohm 990s and I'm totally in love with them!

Even from a portable amp they do wonderful things, and they're fantastically comfortable. Now I need to get an amp with enough power to do them justice.

Yup, those old DT990's are hard to beat.
Still regret selling mine.....

Jun 13, 2009 at 1:30 PM Post #1,013 of 1,864
For those of you who, like me, have found the treble of the DT770 (2005 Comnsumer) a little too much, I recently added a layer of felt over the foam that covers the driver, and this did WONDERS. Takes the edge off without sacrificing clarity at all. Very cheap and easy mod, and can be reversed in 2 seconds if you don't like the results
wink.gif

Jun 13, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #1,014 of 1,864
yep I did it a few months ago, the trebles are much better afterwards
smily_headphones1.gif

I love how this DT770 is endlessly moddable
beerchug.gif

I heard putting a thicker white cloth ring would improve the bass response too, might give it a shot!

but you should also dampen the cups to kill plastic resonances, it's a HUGE improvement! just like angling the drivers.

Jun 22, 2009 at 1:04 PM Post #1,019 of 1,864
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper0294 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I'm looking for a decent/good fairly cheap amp to power the DT770's. What would be some good choices?

Also, anybody know of a good deal on the DT770 pro's?

Thanks

Can you be more specific about the price range you are looking at in terms of an amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back