BeyerDynamic owners unite...
Apr 17, 2009 at 12:46 PM Post #976 of 1,864
Quote:

Originally Posted by Landis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm assuming the Pro/250 2005 version looks like the other consumer models opposed to having the black enclosure like the Pro/80s? i.e. the normal "older" DT770/250ohms look like this:

ac37_1.JPG

And the 2005 Pro/250 would look like this?:

dt770.jpg

EDIT - looking more closely - what is pictured above is the 2005 Pro model, followed by the 2005 consumer model.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonsosnot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is also what I've gathered from the research I did before purchasing the Pro/250ohm. The bass is supposed to be less-boomy and more controlled than the Pro/80 version, according to many impressions people have posted. I can definitely see how the Pro/250 can still be considered to have boomy bass, but at the same time I can see how some people would still want more bass quantity than the Pro/250's have.

Again, you cannot just say "Pro/250" and get an answer. The 2005 Pro/250 indeed does not have the bass quantity of the Pro-80 or older Pro-250 - not even close. The 2005 770 Pro-250, which is largely identical to the 2005 consumer 770-250, has less bass than the DT990 and sounds more like the DT880.

BUT: the older DT770 Pro-250 was the bassiest, least balanced DT770. That doesn't make it a bad headphone - some people LOVE its tonal balance.

Apr 17, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #977 of 1,864
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
YES, you have it right - that is the older, and newer version, respectively.

Again, you cannot just say "Pro/250" and get an answer. The 2005 Pro/250 indeed does not have the bass quantity of the Pro-80 or older Pro-250 - not even close. The 2005 770 Pro-250, which is largely identical to the 2005 consumer 770-250, has less bass than the DT990 and sounds more like the DT880.

BUT: the older DT770 Pro-250 was the bassiest, least balanced DT770. That doesn't make it a bad headphone - some people LOVE its tonal balance.

Okay, so I must admit that I'm quite confused. Out-of-the-box they (DT770 "older" Pro/250) don't have a notable bass. I get decent bass output once turning on Dolby Headphone or Dolby 7.1 virtual speaker, but without, very subtle bass. 20 hours into the burn-in, they're performing quite well with tracks that do have heavy bass output themselves, such as Charlie Clouser's Hello Zepp in which that song loses complete atmosphere if you can't support the bass; still, the bass is not very notable without help.

The 20 hours of burn-in has definitely made a difference. Instrument isolation is now present while it wasn't out-of-the-box, bass is getting tighter as opposed to grumbly, sibilance is notably down, I was listening to this exact song yesterday out of the box and the S's were lingering to the point where it almost made me cry, but now they're much shorter.

To be honest, out-of-the-box I would agree with most of the bad reviews/feedback on these, but after only 20 hours of break-in, most of what's bad is gone. I can't wait to see what happens once I hit 100+ hours of burn-in.

Also, after listening to Clapton and Knopfler, I wouldn't be so quick to say that Mark was listening to the DT770 Pro/80s; the "old" Pro/250s are identical in appearance and boy, they really bring out what these songs are supposed to sound like. In this one track, I swear Clapton is either patting his knee or bouncing his foot to keep the beat and you can hear it so clearly that it blows my mind.

The only thing that is still diappointing me a bit is violin. Out of all the instruments, the most notably recessed sound comes from the violin. On my speakers I can hear it clear as day in some songs and on these, not so much. It isn't isolated as well and isn't particularly loud, which is strange since I haven't noticed too many issues in regards to other highs / high-mids.

Anyhow, I still have 29 days to return them if I don't like 'em, I'll give updates on how these fellas are after they completely break-in.

Apr 17, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #978 of 1,864
Sorry about it if I sidetracked any on-going discussion.

I just received HD600 for two days. Even not completely broken in, the vocal and mid of HD600 have totally won my heart over. The vocal from DT880 just does not sound full enough to justify 'right' to me. BTW, this is with V-dac and Arietta (my LD has some power tube imbalance and still waiting for new ones to come).

So I was wondering if I should keep DT880.

And today I got SIIG soundcard for coax digital output. After install the cmediadriver, I was testing between USB and coax input. I cannot reall tell much difference from those two inputs with HD600. So I swap my DT880 in and change to "The Big Blue" soundtrack, which has known for large soundstage.

And Wow!!! DT880 with coax input in V-dac really shines on the soundstage. (I guess I know it but just did not appreciate it without comparison). Not only the soundstage is much wider and taller than HD600, the focus of all the instrument is so clear that I can fell the solid existance of them. HD600 has no comparison at this stage.

And with DT880, I can clearly distinguish that the soundstage got reduced and a little defocused with USB input to V-dac. Such difference I have no way to tell with HD600 yet. Maybe I can do it later when HD600 is broken in and I am more familiar with its sound.

So, I am just glad that I didn't give up on DT880 too quick. Certainly, all these fine HPs have their own nitche and derserve great components to work with them.

But DT880 really got my respect now!
dt880smile.png

Apr 18, 2009 at 7:59 AM Post #979 of 1,864
I would like to ask, as i want to recable my DT880 600ohm to upgrade its performance in order to give more detailed in mid-tone. As there are plenty of choice in cables, do anyone know which cable matches the characteristic of DT880??

I have a APS v3 on my SA5000, its great! that's why i think recabling can upgrade the sound.

Thanks in advance.

Apr 18, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #980 of 1,864
hi guys can is ask something does the beyer dt990 600 ohm suitable for metal or fast music ? thx i'm kinda interested in them since moon audio offer the 600 ohm for almost the same price as the 250 ohm...thx

Apr 18, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #981 of 1,864
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldwine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would like to ask, as i want to recable my DT880 600ohm to upgrade its performance in order to give more detailed in mid-tone. As there are plenty of choice in cables, do anyone know which cable matches the characteristic of DT880??

I have a APS v3 on my SA5000, its great! that's why i think recabling can upgrade the sound.

I had my 770/600's recabled by S2Audio and they sounded MUCH better afterward. I'm sure an APS recable would also be excellent.

Quote:

Originally Posted by winzzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi guys can is ask something does the beyer dt990 600 ohm suitable for metal or fast music ? thx i'm kinda interested in them since moon audio offer the 600 ohm for almost the same price as the 250 ohm...thx

I love my DT990/600 with metal (I mostly like classic metal like Priest and Maiden, and goth like Epica and Nightwish).

Apr 18, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #982 of 1,864
Hey, guys!
I had Beyerdynamics DTX900 back in 2005. They cost me around 70 dollars & lasted for 2 years. But boy did they sound great!!!!! You know FULL-SIZE OPEN CANS connected to cd player running licensed CDs. I remember listening to U2 'How to dismantle an atomic bomb' in these babies OVER & OVER again. That full dynamic AIRY sound with great stereo separation was AWESOME. I took them on travel half around the globe & they did great job.

Now I want something as AWESOME or even MORE AWESOME.

Can we do that for 100 bucks?

Apr 18, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #983 of 1,864
My DT770 PROs are the older 250s, and I love 'em.

I don't think they're necessarily the greatest for classical music, which I listen to every now and then.

But for what I listen to the most, which is rock and bluegrass, they're absolutely killer.

Apr 19, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #984 of 1,864
I'm curious as to how 'open' dt880's are compared to dt990's

at the same volume inside the can's, would someone sitting next to you hear about 50% of the volume from the 880's as they would from the 990's?

or is the fact they are 'semi-open' not a reason to buy them instead of the 990's? with the difference in sound being the main thing people would choose one over the other?

Apr 19, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #986 of 1,864
Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I should technically join this club , even though I pretty much hated the DT990 pro I had.

Also the DT250-80 I had, although a much needed workhorse at the time, was not anything special ..

The DT48 on the other-hand ..well you know,
bigsmile_face.gif

In other words, Beyerdynamic has something for everyone.
wink.gif

Apr 19, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #988 of 1,864
Quote:

Originally Posted by TubeStack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My DT770 PROs are the older 250s, and I love 'em.

I don't think they're necessarily the greatest for classical music, which I listen to every now and then.

But for what I listen to the most, which is rock and bluegrass, they're absolutely killer.

Aye, I've noticed that they aren't the best for classical, but they fair pretty well with related genres and artists. Michael Hedges sounds pretty sexy at higher volumes!

I know I could find better headphones for music at this point, but for gaming, the DT770 Pro/250 balances both my gaming needs along with music. With that said, I definitely see myself specifically investing a pure music pair of phones down the road when my budget is a bit larger, but hey, until then I'm so far quite pleased with these and I wouldn't doubt that my next pair would be from Beyer.

Apr 19, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #989 of 1,864
Quote:

Originally Posted by zedevan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious as to how 'open' dt880's are compared to dt990's

at the same volume inside the can's, would someone sitting next to you hear about 50% of the volume from the 880's as they would from the 990's?

or is the fact they are 'semi-open' not a reason to buy them instead of the 990's? with the difference in sound being the main thing people would choose one over the other?

I've never understood Beyer's classification of the DT880 as "semi-open". I know that the earcup is a perforated screen, but the effect, both in terms of isolation and leakage, is that they act like open cans. They have no properties of a closed can at all.

W/r/t the older DT770/250, I may have been misunderstood in some of my posts - I think it's a very good headphone. It does have a distinct "flavor", but I have always believed that, in this regard, beauty is very much in the ear of the beholder
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back