BeyerDynamic owners unite...
Sep 26, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #1,036 of 1,864
I just received my 990/600's. All I can say is WOW. They sound great out of the box. I can't wait until they break in.

Sep 26, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #1,037 of 1,864
Quote:

Originally Posted by fuseboxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I changed the inner foam (the one covering the drivers) to thin stockings
biggrin.gif

Can you comment about the change it made sonically? I just can't stand that lame foam.

Oct 10, 2009 at 8:48 AM Post #1,041 of 1,864
The weirdest thing happened when I changed the velour pads that came with the manufacture dt990/600ohms that I have loved for years.

At the time, I ordered leather pads at the same time, never changed them though. Years later, I figured, why not? How much different could it be?

The leather pads are making me hate a setup that I have loved for years. Why is that? I even had my husband have a listen, and he heard the difference too. Is that the leather puts the drivers further away? I'm grasping at straws here as to why it happened.

The leather pads just look yummy. Sound? Umm yeah, I'll be putting the velours back on.

Oct 10, 2009 at 1:04 PM Post #1,043 of 1,864
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The weirdest thing happened when I changed the velour pads that came with the manufacture dt990/600ohms that I have loved for years.

At the time, I ordered leather pads at the same time, never changed them though. Years later, I figured, why not? How much different could it be?

The leather pads are making me hate a setup that I have loved for years. Why is that? I even had my husband have a listen, and he heard the difference too. Is that the leather puts the drivers further away? I'm grasping at straws here as to why it happened.

The leather pads just look yummy. Sound? Umm yeah, I'll be putting the velours back on.

Different earpads have a remarkably large impact on the sound with Beyers. One thing to note - the leather pads you can buy from the Beyer e-store are for the Aviator series, not the hi-fi series, and they sound BAD. I agree with yossi126 that the JMoney pads sound excellent - I use those exclusively now.

But the bottom line is - if you liked the sound of the Velour pads - you will probably need to stick with those
wink.gif

Oct 10, 2009 at 1:20 PM Post #1,044 of 1,864
That's cool to hear that there are earpad options for the Beyers. I guess I should have figured there would be, but I've been out of the forums for a while.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm not sure if they're aviator pads or not. They're whatever Beyerdynamic bundled with the custom orders as of 2007.

Maybe they'll form to my head a bit better, but they look lovely. Of course no one could accuse my setup of being bright, so it could just be synergy between it, the headphones, the pads, and my ears.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 10, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #1,045 of 1,864
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm not sure if they're aviator pads or not. They're whatever Beyerdynamic bundled with the custom orders as of 2007.

In that case they should be OK - do they have lots of small holes on the underside of the pad? If so, those are the ones that were meant for the hi-fi cans. I actually like those with my DT990/600 - but it does give them a bassier, more distant sound. For the 990 I like this, since I also have the 880/600 when I want the more neutral, forward sound.

Oct 10, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #1,046 of 1,864
Yeah, they do have the holes on the back, and boy were they a bitch to put on. I'll give them some time to see if I don't warm up to them, but one thing my setup wasn't lacking was bass, and you're right, these are distant and deliver more.

Actually, I think my gripe is kind of cool. The leather pads aren't just a pretty face, but change the sound. I wasn't aware that Beyer pad finickyness was a known thing.
smily_headphones1.gif

What I did was took something that wasn't broke, and fixed it!

Oct 28, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #1,048 of 1,864
Quote:

Originally Posted by melomaniac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the Jmoney pads are a rip-off IMO, but I did order a second DT880 finally, new 600 ohm

I'm trying to decide on which ohm version of the DT800 to get. Why did you choose the 600 ohm?

Oct 31, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #1,050 of 1,864
Quote:

Originally Posted by hjf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm trying to decide on which ohm version of the DT800 to get. Why did you choose the 600 ohm?

well, it's still burning in right now, but a) I want to compare it to my recabled DT880/250 on my 2 tube amps, and b) I got tired of carrying my first DT880 back and forth between my set-ups. yeah, I'm spoiling myself I guess.

reasons to have a 600 ohm version might include (but aren't limited to) synergy with certain amps that can serve up the right juice, and sound sig preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back