Best IEM for a bass head?
Mar 2, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #79 of 84
Don't know if someone has mentioned it, but GR07 Bass Edition offers very good quality for the price.

One route to consider is to invest more in the amp section. You can go for a cheap CMOY (from JDS Labs) or buy an portable amp that has bass boost function, like JDS C5D or Oppo HA2.

Mar 3, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #80 of 84
Don't know if someone has mentioned it, but GR07 Bass Edition offers very good quality for the price.

One route to consider is to invest more in the amp section. You can go for a cheap CMOY (from JDS Labs) or buy an portable amp that has bass boost function, like JDS C5D or Oppo HA2.

I heard the GR07 bass edition dosent provide a lot of bass even thou it said bass edition

Mar 8, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #82 of 84
 Sorry if this is an over posted topic, I have perused all of the similar ones but need a little more specific guidance.
I'm looking for an in ear headphone for around the 100$ mark that can satiate my desire for orgasmicly deep bass. 
 I Mainly listen to bass-centric Electronic/dance tunes (dubstep/post-dubstep in particular) and punk/hardcore, but I listen to a good amount of everything.
  Unfortunately some of the ones I'm most interested in (Shure SE215 Limited Edition, Yamaha EPH-100SL) are a little bit out of my price range, if I could find some on ebay or something even for like ~110$ that would be gravy, but 125+ is pushing it.

Some more affordable one's I'm considering are the VSonic GR06, the  Sony MDR-XB90EX, and the (I'm sorry, please don't judge me) Urbeats by dre.
 I've heard they're pretty decent for what I'm looking for, and I'm perfectly comftorable running the risk of looking like a *********.
 I'm even considering just picking up a pair of "KRK KNS8400" over-ear headphones, although in-ear seems more practical currently as I will mainly be using them while commuting/longboarding.
 If I'm sitting at home or "producing" I'll usually just listen to music through speakers anyway, as that's generally more effective.
  Sorry for the wall of text there, but if anyone can recommend me some headphones in my criteria I would greatly appreciate it, thanks!

Hmmm I have both the XB90ex and the shure SE215 limited edition

Xb90 are best for bass, you will get enhanced bass feel to it, you will actually feel the bass with its vibration because of it 16mm driver (try to buy the Japanese one)

But they are a little unclear when you are listening at extremely high volume (happens with all the earphone not only Sony) which I think is understood

Overall they are the best for price

If you want se215 then let me tell you that it is damn clear nothing can beat that but but but it will not provide that awesome bass compared to xb90

Xb90 are the only exceptional ones which provides vibration for each bass drops

I think both are great compared to price. So buy whichever fits in your budget :thumbsup:

Feb 12, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #83 of 84
 A little late to the party but I've had many of the IEMs listed in this thread and have some Sony XB90ex coming. 

Hippo VB:  [Good review]
Very very good bass IMHO.  So good I had 4 of them at one point in time.  I used them for most mobile activities (Hoops shootarounds, running, yardwork) and NEVER had an issue.  After time one was left on a plane by one of my daughters the other was lost, One did get ripped(purely an accident) and now the lone survivor is a dinosaur since Jaben Audio doesn't seem to have any more.  They had 3 sets of discs or "bass ports" to adjust the bass as you would like and I felt that at least this was good for simply the option.  I am a basshead thus I used the set that created the bassiest sound.   Now there is this guy who feels very strongly against the Hippo VBs but I have to say, even though he does have a generally correct point that the build COULD be a bit better I had used my Hippos regulary at the Gym during shootarounds and running and still never had issues.  I used it with an iPod mini and armband where I would tuck it in the shirt then extend the cord out of the left tank armhole then under the band and to the mini port with enough slack where I could raise my arm to shoot without hindrance.  No problems over YEARS of usage (last pair of Hippos I purchased was in 2014 and the final pair is still working).  

GR07 Bass Edition
     I had them, did appreciate them, and figured to get some more but then ONE month after they were being used one of the pieces stopped working (Left I believe).  I NEVER used them for activities and simply had them as computer buds.  I don't remember them being tugged, jolted or dropped in any adverse way.  
As far as the BASS it was clean(er) than the Hippo VBs if ever so slightly and the mids and highs were "crisp" and precise but if only they would have been more durable. 

Klipsch S4
    I have had two pair of these over time as once again one pair was left on a plane (people that work for US Airways have gotten some great gifts).  Still I would say that these have been appropriately rated below the Hippos and other competitors.  
The Bass was clean but almost hindered.  The mids and highs were clean but not smooth like the GR07s and not enough of a difference for me to use them more than the Hippos.  This Shoutout is an apt comparison of three IEMs that I feel addresses the pros and cons of each set fairly 

SRE 215-K:  
   I decided against these in favor of the Audio Technica ATHCKS77BK (2014) which I still use for general usage (non activities, computer, trips).  They are decent general usage IEMs.  So I cannot speak to the SREs since these were $30 more and reviews in general were good but not gushing. 

Sony XB90ex:  
   These are being delievered this month.  I am excited to see whether the glowing reviews and comments are true of these and I still have a Hippo VB to compare it to so IF folks are interested I can comment on whether I think they are better, equal or worse than the Hippos.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back