AVOID! Please, for your hearing, stay away from iBasso DX50
Mar 26, 2014 at 6:49 AM Post #106 of 177
All I can say is good luck with the FiiO X3. I purchased one and it worked fine for a few weeks. Then it started hanging up after about every third song. I had done the latest firmware that was offered. Bought this item in December of 2013. By February. I was having to do constant resets through a small hole in the top of the device. Returned it luckily and bought a Astell&Kern 100 and I am not to sue how happy I am with it yet . It's expensive, sounds great, but has a Strange speaker impedance of 22 ohms. I have several different headphones and earbuds and it just isn't very loud. It also doesn't have a direct line out as it uses the headphone jack as an optical line out.

Mar 26, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #107 of 177
All I can say is good luck with the FiiO X3. I purchased one and it worked fine for a few weeks. Then it started hanging up after about every third song. I had done the latest firmware that was offered. Bought this item in December of 2013. By February. I was having to do constant resets through a small hole in the top of the device. Returned it luckily and bought a Astell&Kern 100 and I am not to sue how happy I am with it yet . It's expensive, sounds great, but has a Strange speaker impedance of 22 ohms. I have several different headphones and earbuds and it just isn't very loud. It also doesn't have a direct line out as it uses the headphone jack as an optical line out.

You should have bought the AK 100 MK2... (impedance of 3ohms... but the same player basically.) :wink:

Mar 26, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #108 of 177
The Ak100 can be modified to play at 1 ohms. I sent mine off to this guy in Japan who did it for me quickly and reasonably. Plays much better as a portable. Message me for his info if you are interested. Same thing can also be done at higher cost here in States.

Mar 26, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #109 of 177
I modified mine and it does sound better, something that iRiver should have offered rather than a version II, when they said lowering the 22ohm output resistance didn't improve the sound. But having said that, I still prefer the more musical and overall sound of the DX50. 

Mar 27, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #110 of 177
I modified mine and it does sound better, something that iRiver should have offered rather than a version II, when they said lowering the 22ohm output resistance didn't improve the sound. But having said that, I still prefer the more musical and overall sound of the DX50. 

More musical??? The DX50 is a completely inferior sound when compared to the AKs.

Mar 27, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #111 of 177
More musical??? The DX50 is a completely inferior sound when compared to the AKs.

Yeah agreed, but then again ears and musical preferences are different.

Back on topic, just read this on the DX90 thread:
 Originally Posted by musicheaven 
  Good news to everyone, first I am another one who was told that April 7 is the DX90 launch but the bigger news, at least for me and for some they said they ironed out all the bugs including the volume spike bug for both models and will release the firmware at the same time the DX90 will be released so my hat to them, I was really waiting for this to rejoice.
gs1000.gif

Mar 31, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #112 of 177
i purchased the i basso last week with the latest firmware 1.2.8 and have had no problems with it at all
the ui is working perfectly so anyone out there doubting this product should not worry ,
all the bugs have been resolved as far as i can tell .

great little unit great sound and nothing can compare at the price asked .......

regards ......i basso haters.

Apr 2, 2014 at 5:25 AM Post #113 of 177
Hmm, this player fits really nicely into my budget, but this thread scares the crap out of me. 

Would you guys say this thing is neutral and transparent? I was interested in the X3, but then I read it has a v-shaped curve.

Apr 2, 2014 at 6:13 AM Post #114 of 177
hey there 

this little gem is very neutral and transparent .
feed it high quality files and it really shines , i cant believe
they can sell at this price , i think its so worth the money
i thought my ipod classic which was rockboxed sounded amazing
untill i heard the ibassodx50.
live performances sound amazing 
never heard drums or cymbals sound so real
so to sum it up its a great deal .

Apr 2, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #116 of 177
I seem to have resolved my problem, I reformatted the player (not card), and reloaded latest firmware. Haven't had the bug since.

Apr 2, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #117 of 177
  hey there 

this little gem is very neutral and transparent .
feed it high quality files and it really shines , i cant believe
they can sell at this price , i think its so worth the money
i thought my ipod classic which was rockboxed sounded amazing
untill i heard the ibassodx50.
live performances sound amazing 
never heard drums or cymbals sound so real
so to sum it up its a great deal .

Well, you've certainly piqued my interest! 

Apr 3, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #118 of 177
The DX50 IS NOT neutral. The sound is on the warmish side with the lower mids being warmed up by a bass bump an slight mid bass hump. The highs are slightly elevated, an I mean slight with a gradual roll off in the upper treble. The mids sound just slightly laid back, again I said slightly, and upper mids are nicely controlled. Mids have decent detail but lack some Micro detail. The soundstage is on the smallish side and imaging can sound compressed with busy music due to a lack of air between instruments. Overall, decent enough sounding DAP but nothing to write home about. Anyone else who says different is entitled to their opinion but I would dare them to listen to say a Centrance M8 or AK120 which truly sound neutral and then tell me if they still think the DX50 is neutral. Also, the DX50 is not natural sounding. The treble is slight grainy and has a very slight metallic tinge to it which makes it sound far from natural. Female vocals can also sound slightly off when the high notes are hit. Sorry to say it but there's nothing amazing about this DAP for its price point.

Apr 3, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #119 of 177
The DX50 IS NOT neutral. The sound is on the warmish side with the lower mids being warmed up by a bass bump an slight mid bass hump. The highs are slightly elevated, an I mean slight with a gradual roll off in the upper treble. The mids sound just slightly laid back, again I said slightly, and upper mids are nicely controlled. Mids have decent detail but lack some Micro detail. The soundstage is on the smallish side and imaging can sound compressed with busy music due to a lack of air between instruments. Overall, decent enough sounding DAP but nothing to write home about. Anyone else who says different is entitled to their opinion but I would dare them to listen to say a Centrance M8 or AK120 which truly sound neutral and then tell me if they still think the DX50 is neutral. Also, the DX50 is not natural sounding. The treble is slight grainy and has a very slight metallic tinge to it which makes it sound far from natural. Female vocals can also sound slightly off when the high notes are hit. Sorry to say it but there's nothing amazing about this DAP for its price point.

Interesting. Would you say the clip+ and clip zip are neutral? 

(I know measurements say they are)

Apr 3, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #120 of 177
Have any of you done or got the mod below ?

Opamp to 49710 x 2pcs
Capacitance to nichicon kw audio series x 4pcs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back