Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7b Impressions & Discussion Thread
Nov 17, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #947 of 1,047
Latest addition.

On initial impression, I think I prefer these over MDR-1AM2, a HP I consider to be MSR7b's direct competitor.

To me, these sound more balanced and resolving with better imaging capabilities. Doesn't suffer from mid bass bloat either. Treble can be a bit splashy and artificial sounding on higher volume, and overall presentation can be somewhat lean on certain tracks. Potential to become fatiguing on longer sessions.

Build quality and comfort on the other hand falls short of the 1AM2. It feels cheap and rickety, even for its asking price. Quite creaky too.

I've wanted these for a long time, but not sure how much time I'll devote to them long term.
20221114_014401.jpg
Loving mine too. I see you have experienced the AKG K371. How do you compare both?

Nov 17, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #948 of 1,047
Loving mine too. I see you have experienced the AKG K371. How do you compare both?
Outside of price and portability, I think they're quite different headphones in terms of sound profile. If I could only keep one, I would probably keep the K371. It's generally more agreeable sound, especially if you're a fan of Harman curve (close adherence). Also, better suited for easy/relaxed listening IMO (less fatigue for long sessions), which is my goal in this price bracket. FYI, I use my K371 with Dekoni suede pads. Comfort wasn't great with stock pads and didn't like the occasional upper mid/lower treble bite on the original pads. On another note, MSR7b has decent dynamics so good on low volume IME, and if you just want to play music in the background without interfering with your work/study, it's a fantastic HP.

Nov 17, 2022 at 10:09 PM Post #949 of 1,047
Outside of price and portability, I think they're quite different headphones in terms of sound profile. If I could only keep one, I would probably keep the K371. It's generally more agreeable sound, especially if you're a fan of Harman curve (close adherence). Also, better suited for easy/relaxed listening IMO (less fatigue for long sessions), which is my goal in this price bracket. FYI, I use my K371 with Dekoni suede pads. Comfort wasn't great with stock pads and didn't like the occasional upper mid/lower treble bite on the original pads. On another note, MSR7b has decent dynamics so good on low volume IME, and if you just want to play music in the background without interfering with your work/study, it's a fantastic HP.
Thank you for your input. I’ve had the msr7b for almost a year now and love it but want a more relaxed alternative to complement, so wanted to know if the K371 are different enough.

Nov 18, 2022 at 3:27 AM Post #950 of 1,047
Well what can I say, been on a proper rollercoaster ride.

I bought a set of m565c which leaked sound badly, then tried s12 iem, very uncomfortable, after this I jumped on the m1060c deal and tried a pair, trialed them open and really liked the sound, but not the headband, so I won some used lcd2-classic, alot more comfortable and sounded really good. However swmbo was not happy with leakage, even though initially saying fine, so these went in favour of aeon2 closed, I also won some focal elegia at the same point.

Through all my rolling Ive up graded equipment, I initially added an smsl dac, with a loose usb port, replaced with a V2 zen dac which had dsd pop and wouldn't turn off, I replaced with an l30ii e30ii stack, but not happy with the heat, the plug heat or the smell of burnt electronics so they have gone back.

Leads me to today with a new pair of msr7b coming (sold my old along with upgraded cable 😭)

Also ordered a fiio k7 too.

After trialing all these I can say that this little £200 headphone can hold its own agains cans triple it's cost

Dec 1, 2022 at 2:14 AM Post #952 of 1,047
I ordered these as they get rave reviews
20221126_214758.jpg

Packaging is awesome.
But for me that's where it ends.

Upon fitting them there's no real foam in them and as such they just compress right down till your ears touching the driver.

Such a shame really.

Dec 1, 2022 at 2:31 AM Post #953 of 1,047

Packaging is awesome.

Upon fitting them there's no real foam in them and as such they just compress right down till your ears touching the driver.

Such a shame really.

Indeed, on my side I didn't have this problem (probably because of my different ears) but I could feel that it was really close to the speakers.
And what do you think about the sound?
Personally I quickly went back to the original pads. I found the sound less punchy, softer, less sub-bass and mid-bass, and the high-mediums too forward which tend to tire the listening. Also, less general precision especially in the bass thus. It's a pity because this is what makes the strength of the MSR7b (in my opinion).
Maybe there is a better match with the first MSR7 but I haven't had the opportunity to test it yet.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #955 of 1,047
Thanks.

I should probably bring this over to a 1540 thread. :)

As for the MSR7B, they are amazing closed backs and I highly recommend them, especially for DAPs with a 4.4 balanced out.

Also, I’ve been noticing how sensitive they are to physical placement. A couple notches up/down, shifting them forward/back, etc, can make a big difference, particularly in the treble.
I love both the SRH1540 and the MSR7B. I need both. SRH1540 is a more laid back listen. They sound lovely balanced from my Sony NW-WM1Z and Lotoo Paw Gold Touch.

Jan 1, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #956 of 1,047
I received my MSR7b about an hour ago. I'm listening to a few tracks and I'm not sure what to make out yet.
At the moment it feels like the mid-bass is a bit too much and not much sub-bass. Treble isn't too bad. Will see if it improves a bit with more listening.
Very source dependant. The sub bass really kicks using my Lotoo Paw Gold Touch balanced.

Jan 1, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #957 of 1,047
AT have been pushing this A2DC connector for a while now. I don't know or understand why, but their IEMs use it, some of their more expensive headphones use it (I think both the SR9 and the ADX5000 use it). I mean, I do prefer it over the MMCX connectors on IEMs, those are way too small and fragile. But why they didn't go with 3.5mm or maybe even 2.5mm is beyond me.

It's not a bad connector, it's just that there's really no reason for it. Still, they aren't the first to try a proprietary connector. Worst offender here is Fostex. On their high end headphones they use a connector that's almost the same as Sennheiser's connector from the HD600 series. BUT they reverse the polarity and you can't use cables made for Sennheisers, which are abundant due to the age and popularity of these headphones. Whatever. I'm also using an AliExpress cable and it's been fantastic so far.

As for the length of the cable, do remember that AT intended for these to be a portable set of cans. The fact that they're good enough to be used at home doesn't change that.
It's a super solid connection.

Jan 1, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #958 of 1,047
The MSR7b are very well balanced out of the box, unlike the original MSR7, which almost unanimously lacked bass.

To each his own, but I respectfully fully disagree on this account.

I have used the MSR7b, and still own the MSR7, and they (the latter) actually have an abundance of well measured, tight, punchy and very present bass.
Any more would simply inflict negatively on the rest of the picture (lower mids) and obscure what is in the recording. I have compared with both Grado GS1000, Sennheiser HD800, Grado PS500, and some other headphones.

Much depends on the quality of the source(s), and equipment used, as always.

Regarding the sound signature (and not because of the "bass either way"), I would give a slight nod to the MSR7 in front of the MSR7b, as well.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #959 of 1,047
20221126_214758.jpg

Packaging is awesome.

Such a shame really.
If you don't mind having some extra bass added to the MSR7b, these Krone Kalpasmos earpads are very comfortable and are a bit thicker too, so the drivers shouldn't touch your ears:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JZK792S/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back