Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7b Impressions & Discussion Thread
Aug 17, 2022 at 8:15 PM Post #886 of 1,047
nice!
Same story for me, looks like I prefer mid-fi overall those high-end $$$$$$ headphones.
If you already like the sound from brand new, you can trust me, you will even more like them after 300+ hours of proper burning.
Everyday I'm stunned by how good they sounds for the price. My Mojo 2 is really a great pair with.
Can't wait for your final impressions after that. Please stay us tuned :)
I think that high end focuses so much on new technology, that tuning and cohesion is overlooked. This great technology does one thing really great, but it sticks out as out of place. I kept reaching for Shure SRH1540 when I had Meze Empyrean at home. DAPs are a different story. I will never part with my Lotoo Paw Gold Touch, Sony NW-WM1Z, or NW-WM1A.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2022 at 9:51 PM Post #887 of 1,047
How much burn in time is required?

Aug 19, 2022 at 4:36 AM Post #888 of 1,047
Mine don't creak
Mine creaks as hell, but I don't really care, once they are in my ears I easily forget this issue :)

Mine sounded their best at around 300 hours of burning (listening dynamic music at moderate/high volume) 👌
I really heard the difference between a brand new and mine

Aug 20, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #890 of 1,047
LQI Cables are awesome. I just got a cable with A2DC connectors. It's a balanced 4.4mm cable for my Lotoo Paw Gold Touch and Sony NW-WM1Z. I am really enjoying the sound of the ATH-MSR7B. 20220820_165539.jpg20220820_165508.jpg

Aug 21, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #891 of 1,047
Has anyone heard both the Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7B and WP900?

Aug 21, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #893 of 1,047
Yes, got them both. What would you like to know?
Which do you prefer, and why. I have been looking at MDR-Z1R as well. Basic sound differences. I already own ATH-MSR7B and use a custom cable.

Aug 21, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #894 of 1,047
Which do you prefer, and why. I have been looking at MDR-Z1R as well. Basic sound differences. I already own ATH-MSR7B and use a custom cable.
MSR7B has a more balanced timbre. Wp900 is an aggressive/exciting/dynamic headphone with massive mid bass bump, slightly recessed mids, and a sparkly slightly strident top end. WP900 are a niche headphone, good for certain genres. But fairly fatiguing. As far as v shaped headphones go, they do a good job. If you're at all sensitive to aggressive tuning, then stay clear. I listen to MSR7B more, tho wp900 hit the spot when the mood strikes.

Aug 21, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #895 of 1,047
MSR7B has a more balanced timbre. Wp900 is an aggressive/exciting/dynamic headphone with massive mid bass bump, slightly recessed mids, and a sparkly slightly strident top end. WP900 are a niche headphone, good for certain genres. But fairly fatiguing. As far as v shaped headphones go, they do a good job. If you're at all sensitive to aggressive tuning, then stay clear. I listen to MSR7B more, tho wp900 hit the spot when the mood strikes.
I am surprised that I enjoy my ATH-MSR7B with my Lotoo Paw Gold Touch more than my Sony NW-WM1Z. Thanks for the information. Lotoo's power really brings out the bass in the ATH-MSR7B. It is deeper than on the Sony.

Aug 21, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #896 of 1,047
I am surprised that I enjoy my ATH-MSR7B with my Lotoo Paw Gold Touch more than my Sony NW-WM1Z. Thanks for the information. Lotoo's power really brings out the bass in the ATH-MSR7B. It is deeper than on the Sony.
I enjoyed mine with Paw 6000 at one point. I recommend Yaxi MSR7 comfort pads on these for more textured mids and more control on bass.

WP900 are very good, BTW, especially if you want bass slam. They sound surprisingly wide for small headphones.

Aug 23, 2022 at 8:11 AM Post #898 of 1,047
Pairing is everything. The treble is hot and the bass lacking on my Sony NW-WM1Z, but my PMEQd Lotoo Paw Gold Touch makes these headphones sound as good and often better than some very high end headphones that I have demoed.

Aug 30, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #899 of 1,047
Hi guys,

Just received today my YAXI MSR7 Comfort pads for my MSR7b.
Here are my impressions :)

Overall, in terms of sound, these pads give the MSR7b much more character. They are really interesting.

Compared to the original pads, the sound space is slightly wider but less deep (as more centered on the sound stage, which is not bad for a more intimate and realistic listening, in my opinion).

On the other hand, the upper midrange is quite boosted and becomes a bit aggressive to my ears even on some voices (especially female ones). But generally speaking, the midrange gains in naturalness and grain in particular. I recommend 1db less in the 3kHz section.

The highs (or rather low highs) tend to be slightly impacted by the high medium, we gain in detail but it is not so necessary according to me because the listening was already perfect in the original pads and this region did not need anything more. Afterwards, it remains subtle but you can see the difference. With the decibel less in the 3kHz, the highs take their place.

The bass is (as expected, given the alcantara design) less pronounced. It is especially obvious in the region of the sub-bass which becomes almost non-existent (already they were not much in stock pads...). Clearly, for dynamic music, stock pads are still the best choice, but for everything else, I now prefer the Yaxi. In this region, I increased by +4db the sub-bass (20Hz) to find what I missed from the stock pads, I could increase more but I prefer to limit the "cheating" and superficial effect that it could generate.

Concerning the isolation, it is slightly reduced (nothing surprising here too, with the contact of alcantara ears versus leatherette).

The comfort on the other hand is much better than before, my ears don't sweat at all, it's softer, and the alcantara seems to be quite durable (to be seen with time, but I'm generally careful with my stuff). To end this late summer, it will be perfect. Note that the ears seem to be closer to the speakers now so I had to lower the overall volume by a few decibels, and move the MSR7b headband setting up a notch.

In short, I highly recommend these pads. The sound signature gives something slightly different and it's actually quite pleasant. I find that with these pads we are at the level of much more high-end headphones (at least in what we have the right to expect for mediums and highs of quality).

Thanks @Nostoi for this nice discovery!
I hope that my opinion will be useful to you :wink:

Aug 31, 2022 at 12:11 AM Post #900 of 1,047
Hi guys,

Just received today my YAXI MSR7 Comfort pads for my MSR7b.
Here are my impressions :)

Overall, in terms of sound, these pads give the MSR7b much more character. They are really interesting.

Compared to the original pads, the sound space is slightly wider but less deep (as more centered on the sound stage, which is not bad for a more intimate and realistic listening, in my opinion).

On the other hand, the upper midrange is quite boosted and becomes a bit aggressive to my ears even on some voices (especially female ones). But generally speaking, the midrange gains in naturalness and grain in particular. I recommend 1db less in the 3kHz section.

The highs (or rather low highs) tend to be slightly impacted by the high medium, we gain in detail but it is not so necessary according to me because the listening was already perfect in the original pads and this region did not need anything more. Afterwards, it remains subtle but you can see the difference. With the decibel less in the 3kHz, the highs take their place.

The bass is (as expected, given the alcantara design) less pronounced. It is especially obvious in the region of the sub-bass which becomes almost non-existent (already they were not much in stock pads...). Clearly, for dynamic music, stock pads are still the best choice, but for everything else, I now prefer the Yaxi. In this region, I increased by +4db the sub-bass (20Hz) to find what I missed from the stock pads, I could increase more but I prefer to limit the "cheating" and superficial effect that it could generate.

Concerning the isolation, it is slightly reduced (nothing surprising here too, with the contact of alcantara ears versus leatherette).

The comfort on the other hand is much better than before, my ears don't sweat at all, it's softer, and the alcantara seems to be quite durable (to be seen with time, but I'm generally careful with my stuff). To end this late summer, it will be perfect. Note that the ears seem to be closer to the speakers now so I had to lower the overall volume by a few decibels, and move the MSR7b headband setting up a notch.

In short, I highly recommend these pads. The sound signature gives something slightly different and it's actually quite pleasant. I find that with these pads we are at the level of much more high-end headphones (at least in what we have the right to expect for mediums and highs of quality).

Thanks @Nostoi for this nice discovery!
I hope that my opinion will be useful to you :wink:
Glad you like them! Thanks for the detailed set of impressions, which no doubt will be beneficial to others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back