Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7b Impressions & Discussion Thread
Apr 19, 2022 at 9:06 AM Post #857 of 1,047
You said it yourself, you're stuck in the 90s... The only reason anybody justifies their CD collection is because its expensive. Lossless tracks are better.
Hi Res files here. They sound stunning. I have a 1 terabyte card...

Apr 19, 2022 at 9:09 AM Post #858 of 1,047
people, I do not ****ing know what you're talking about
I have a got 1-bit dac discman and rock and metal music sounds so good from it
I also have got Technics cd-player made in 90s, that delivers crystal amazing sound
I know fiio M11 delivers 5-90000 frequencies response blablabla, but it's audio files
I like to listen to my music straight from CD's not ****ing audio files
Records 24bit are ok too but **** them too
I am a cd person stuck in 90s, I love my cd's

Any options?
You ok?

May 10, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #860 of 1,047
My setup currently for hi-res files, is my iPhone and Apple Music 24-bit/192kHz files.
Yeah, I can agree that these hi res files sound great, but I am missing that depth from a proper, nice CD-player.
I have got about 200 cd's, and most of them sound amazing with these headphones
But I am having a break with CD's atm. and listening to music from my iPhone.
Sound is still pleasure'astic!
But I know I will eventually get bored and get back to CD's. There is nothing like going to the local records store, having a chat with a guy behind a counter and getting this nice album art and you know... Actually, when I put fresh batteries to discman, the sound is ultra superior clean... Instruments sound fabulous... I have got 1-bit DAC discman, and it does the trick.
But batteries cost money, maybe will get rechargeable ones soon.

May 11, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #861 of 1,047
I am very curious to try ATH-MSR7B with my Sony NW-WM1Z and NW-WM1A. I love my Shure SRH1540 headphones with them, but curious nonetheless.

May 20, 2022 at 7:11 PM Post #862 of 1,047
Based on cursery memory of their tunings, should pair quite well actually, will report back whenever I manage to make some time to pop onto Jaben a tad.
Tho you really do love to drive mid range gears with the 1Z do you?

Jun 17, 2022 at 9:11 AM Post #863 of 1,047
It's a shame I can't afford a hi res audio player with 4.4mm... But I am using Discman and Energizer rechargeable batteries 2000mAh, and metal music sounds really good. But I am interesting in doing some tweaking at some point... Maybe changing pads for something else...
I also use iPhone and Apple Music, and listen to .wav files from my laptop, but old school discman and cd's feels much better for me. Especially metal and rock music, which sounds beautiful.

Jun 17, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #864 of 1,047
I also use iPhone and Apple Music, and listen to .wav files from my laptop, but old school discman and cd's feels much better for me. Especially metal and rock music, which sounds beautiful.
The .wav files you listen to may be compressed to 50% dynamic range, which might be why you find your CD's to sound a lot better. (As they will have 100% dynamic range)

For your iPhone, songs that are lossless should sound better than your CD's, but to a small degree of around 3-5%. However, songs that are not lossless will sound worse than your analogue CD player.

You could consider switching to amazon music, which stream everything in lossless. I do understand the benefits of an analogue to analogue connection, but with a high quality dac (dont need to spend much at all) really good audio fidelity can be achieved with lossless streaming and said dac. (DA Converter)

Jun 21, 2022 at 5:35 AM Post #865 of 1,047
Directly swapping from my DSR9 to MSR7B, I really forgot how nonexistent the subbass on these are, even my m70x isn't this deficient.
The vocal is just yummy tho.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2022 at 5:58 AM Post #866 of 1,047
I had it side by side with MDR 1AM2, running both on Balanced out of my Walkman and it's just no contest, sure you'd pick the AT if you just love that mids. But the bass is comparatively nonexistent on these. The 1AM2 on the other hand have little weakness in comparison. It also actually have Soundstage, that and the more forward mids presence compared to its predecessor definitely make it an overall better all rounder IMO.

People gave the 1A too much flak because of its og version's V shape tuning, but the one that worked on the 1AM2 is the same designer of IER-Z1R and you can see the relation in its tuning.

Build also is no contest IMO, MDR 1AM2 all the way.
The MSR7B looks cheap, and it's design trying to look like a DSR9 without any of the latter's solid build. The 1AM2 feels light, but has such smoothness on its hinge, that and the hidden coated metal on its headband compared to MSR's thin rods make it feel way more premium IMO.
Also, single cable port for both SE and Balance is just more elegant and convenient for portable use.

Jun 30, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #867 of 1,047
Pads I want to try in the future are the angled microsuede HM5, Dekoni Elite Sheepskin and some angled Dekoni pads, but I haven't decided which to go for yet.
hey tolis, long time no see :)
Did you grabbed a pair of Dekoni Elite sheepskin to your MSR7B (if you still have these headphones) ? I will be pleased to hear what you think of it.
I really enjoy my stock MSR7b sound coupled with my new Chord Mojo 2, absolutely brillant sound, but I'm willing to try for some new pads, so opened for any advice that will sound the best in the MSR7b :wink:
Cheers'

Jul 7, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #868 of 1,047
Based on cursery memory of their tunings, should pair quite well actually, will report back whenever I manage to make some time to pop onto Jaben a tad.
Tho you really do love to drive mid range gears with the 1Z do you?
As strange as this sounds, I have found the best sounding headphones in the mid range. I have tried a handful of hi-end headphones up to the $4,000USD range. Still, I find my favorites in the $500 or less range. DAPs are a different story; I love may high end DAPs the most.

Jul 13, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #869 of 1,047
Thanks for a tip regarding to amazon music. I have decided to cancel my apple music subscription, because I got bored of it.

I have got a massive collection of my favourite music on CD's. I have been collecting them for about 7 years now. I managed to find my old Panasonic Made in Japan discman, and it does the trick for me :).
I still love to visit my local record store and have a chat with a seller about music and stuff :). I think that's better than spending money for multi billionairie corp amazon, that all it does is care about more billions of dollars coming, not the music.

I love my cd's :).

Jul 25, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #870 of 1,047
What current is required?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back