Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7b Impressions & Discussion Thread
Aug 6, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #872 of 1,047
I am going to order Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7B soon for my Sony NW-WM1Z and NW-WM1A.

Aug 6, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #874 of 1,047
About time! I know you've been on the fence for a while. They remain very good headphones, especially at price. You still got your Lotoo?
I do. I have permanently settled on Lotoo Paw Gold Touch, Sony NW-WM1Z, Sony NW-WM1A, and Sony NW-A55 for all my DAP needs. I don't care for Android.

Aug 7, 2022 at 2:16 AM Post #875 of 1,047
Using MSR7b since few months and they are terrific headphones coupled with my Chord Mojo2.
I never such enjoying music since ages, and that's coming from Fostex TH900. Sound if perfect for my taste in almost every aspect (especially in the mids section) even in 3.5mm (no need beeing asymmetric to get the best sound from them at all).
They just aren't excellent in the subbass but they can be slightly EQ'd for that, but 90% of the time I don't feel the need depending of the style of music I'm listening to because they already have great mid bass extension.
They requires at least 300 hours to really shine (no joke, I tried recently a brand new MSR7b and they sounded really poor and dull out of the box compared to mine).
They will remain my best headphones for many months and hopefully years to come. They are stunning, such a gem (especially for the price) 👍

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2022 at 10:26 PM Post #876 of 1,047
Using MSR7b since few months and they are terrific headphones coupled with my Chord Mojo2.
I never such enjoying music since ages, and that's coming from Fostex TH900. Sound if perfect for my taste in almost every aspect (especially in the mids section) even in 3.5mm (no need beeing asymmetric to get the best sound from them at all).
They just aren't excellent in the subbass but they can be slightly EQ'd for that, but 90% of the time I don't feel the need depending of the style of music I'm listening to because they already have great mid bass extension.
They requires at least 300 hours to really shine (no joke, I tried recently a brand new MSR7b and they sounded really poor and dull out of the box compared to mine).
They will remain my best headphones for many months and hopefully years to come. They are stunning, such a gem (especially for the price) 👍
That's how I feel about Shure SRH1540 headphones. I will get ATH-MSR7B as a backup pair.

Aug 11, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #877 of 1,047
Does anybody here use Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7B with Sony NW-WM1Z? Looking for impressions.

Aug 12, 2022 at 8:05 PM Post #878 of 1,047
Well, I ordered a black pair on Crutchfield.

Aug 14, 2022 at 9:11 AM Post #879 of 1,047
I've have always used the 4.4mm directly to a HiBY R6 pro, and I would say this is the best combo I've ever tried... even more expensive HP don't offer me a balanced experience as the MSR7b. I'm still on the hunt though, to an upgrade, but I've already returned 4 of them (hd660s, T5p 2nd, Elegia and recently the ap2000ti).

Hope it improves your sound with the iBass and the 4.4mm, the times I did an a/b test with a 3.5mm, its wasn't even close in terms of sq.
I will be plugging my ATH-MSR7Bs into the balanced output of my Sony NW-WM1Z when they arrive. I hear it's an excellent pairing.

Aug 14, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #880 of 1,047
Great choice, going with the MSR7b. They are a stunningly good pair of heaphones. If you aren't too treble sensitive, they are also great for metal due to great staging and instrument seperation. Many headphones, even good ones, fall apart with metal music because the sound is too crowded. Not the MSR7b. Mods can be done to change the sound a bit to something more metal friendly, but that's another matter.
As for the black vs gun metal comment, well, the photos don't do the black ones justice. I was in the same boat, but let me tell you, the black ones are just as nice. They don't feel as premium as the MSR7, but that's because they're lighter and, well, they're light in a nice way.

Haven't heard the MSR7SE, but from what I could gather from the original MSR7 thread, their sound should be similar to the MSR7b sound. My guess is that the upgraded MSR7 driver that they used in the SE is the same one (or very close) to the one that ended up in the MSR7b.

Wow, these measure flatter than I though. That's good to hear!

You got problems with the clamp force on these? Dude, you're lucky you never got the original MSR7. These things wanted to smash your head like a vice. The MSR7b have, in my opinion, very light clamping, to the point that I sometimes felt uncomfortable because they would move around on my head when I moved. A pair of angled HM5 pads later, that's no issue, but I still don't get annoying clamping.
I am hoping the smoothness of NW-WM1Z will be a perfect match.

Aug 14, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #882 of 1,047
Have you ever had the DT770? In the last three days I compared the msr7b with the DT770... The msr7b are very new (I received them last friday)...
But DT770 seems to have more body in the lows and more impact with drums (listening to prog metal, thrash metal and metalcore)...

Maybe the msr7b are better woth jazz, blues and classic?
I am wondering if ATH-MSR7B are source dependent. I am going to be using Sony NW-WM1Z, Lotoo Paw Gold Touch, and Sony NW-A55.

Aug 17, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #883 of 1,047
I just started burning these in. I like them very much so far. I am listening with Lotoo Paw Gold Touch and Sony NW-WM1Z. These are very complimentary to the smooth assuredness of the Shure SRH1540. I think I am done. All my favorite headphones seem to be "mid-fi." 20220817_145942.jpg

Aug 17, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #884 of 1,047
I just started burning these in. I like them very much so far. I am listening with Lotoo Paw Gold Touch and Sony NW-WM1Z. These are very complimentary to the smooth assuredness of the Shure SRH1540. I think I am done. All my favorite headphones seem to be "mid-fi."20220817_145942.jpg
nice!
Same story for me, looks like I prefer mid-fi overall those high-end $$$$$$ headphones.
If you already like the sound from brand new, you can trust me, you will even more like them after 300+ hours of proper burning.
Everyday I'm stunned by how good they sounds for the price. My Mojo 2 is really a great pair with.
Can't wait for your final impressions after that. Please stay us tuned :)

Aug 17, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #885 of 1,047
nice!
Same story for me, looks like I prefer mid-fi overall those high-end $$$$$$ headphones.
If you already like the sound from brand new, you can trust me, you will even more like them after 300+ hours of proper burning.
Everyday I'm stunned by how good they sounds for the price. My Mojo 2 is really a great pair with.
Can't wait for your final impressions after that. Please stay us tuned :)
I will. The ATH-MSR7Bs pair amazingly well with both Lotoo Paw Gold Touch and Sony NW-WM1Z. Great detail. I love the buttery, warm sound of Shure SRH1540, but the energetic detail of the ATH-MSR7B is also intoxicating. Perfect compliments. The Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7B bass is shocking me. I was expecting lean, but with the Sony NW-WM1Z, the bass is spot on. Quick, accurate, and deep. LOVE IT! Mine don't creak.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back