Audio Technica ATH- ES 10 Impressions Thread
Jun 6, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #481 of 1,113
So my pair arrived today and the right side isn't working. Could it be a fake or was I just unlucky? It came from Japan.

What site did you order from? Also, did you test it with multiple different sources, just to see if the source isn't the issue?

Jun 6, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #483 of 1,113
Quote:
Ordered it from Amazon, seller is Alexcious

Tried it on my computer and phone. Both only had sound on the left side.

The seller seems fine. I would not say that it is fake. One way or another, you should send it back and ask for another pair. or money back.

Jun 6, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #484 of 1,113
Received my "new" ES10's yesterday from SonicElectronix, with significant visible scuffs/marks, which were clearly visible through the front of the as of yet unopened packaging. Had me questioning whether or not they were a refurbished set, marked and sold as new. In any case, they're now being RMA'd for another "new" replacement, except this time I'm told the mistake on their end won't recur. Here's to hoping...

I also saw sonicElectronix selling them on ebay in case the website sale is over..
And just like to say Audio Tech not likely to ever send out a refurb scratched or in original packaging as they use the white plain box like they did for my esw9.

Jun 6, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #485 of 1,113
My pair came from Japan with the packaging slightly collapsed and scratched up from where it had hit the cups.  Bought from Amazon.  The seller said if i couldn't live with it that i should go to the post office and make a claim.....What!  Bad packaging for international.
angry_face.gif

Jun 6, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #486 of 1,113
Audio Technica really needs to improve the packaging on these. You'd think even a wrong look would scratch the ES10's surface. When I received mine, they too were loose within the packaging, which most likely caused the numerous clearly visible scuffs and scratches.

Jun 6, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #487 of 1,113
Quote:
My pair came from Japan with the packaging slightly collapsed and scratched up from where it had hit the cups.  Bought from Amazon.  The seller said if i couldn't live with it that i should go to the post office and make a claim.....What!  Bad packaging for international.
angry_face.gif

You bought it from a Amazon marketplace seller?

Jun 7, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #488 of 1,113
I tried a pair (again) instore today. I remember trying to decide between these and the ESW9 a few years back and i liked the esw9 a lot more at that time. My gear was more basic too, my ears were possibly under developed and probably my music files were fairly lossy.

I think i am leaning towards the es10(with leather pads substituted) or esw11 these days.

Jun 8, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #490 of 1,113
Quote:
Got the ESW11 pads for the ES10! They are definitely more comfortable, though the clamp is still quite tight. Now it just feels 'super-secure' rather than 'vice-like'.

The ESW11 pads I think decrease the bass a little and make the sound a little warmer / more balanced, though I'll have to do some more careful A/Bing...

any updates on the sound?

Jun 8, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #491 of 1,113
Quote:
any updates on the sound?

Yeah I've been gathering my thoughts for a fuller review.

I haven't been doing much pad swapping back and forth but I've found that since the ESW11 pads are thicker and increase the distance from the ear a little, the sound becomes a bit less bassy and there is a slightly better sense of space. The overall balance shifts warmer as a result. I definitely like the sound with the ESW11 pads more because it sounds more balanced and is a lot more comfortable for longer periods of listening.

Jun 8, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #492 of 1,113
@a_recording. Thanks for the impressions.

-How is the micro detail and treble with the new pads vs the original pads?
-Did you also try the ESW9 pads?

-Any comparison to the ATH-ESW11 (If you have tried them).

Thanks again.

Jun 8, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #493 of 1,113
Quote:

Thanks again.

1. No perceivable change in treble besides changes in overall balance.
2/3. No, only got the ESW11 pads, never heard the any of the ESW's.

Jun 9, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #495 of 1,113
Quote:
@a_recording. Thanks for the impressions.

Thanks again.

Quote:

1. No perceivable change in treble besides changes in overall balance.
2/3. No, only got the ESW11 pads, never heard the any of the ESW's.

I would definitely agree to that.

I would not say that there is a noticable change in treble.

What I could distinguish is a little more "refinement".  That "refinement", I cannot define it exactly. I compared with the jazz song from Charles - Mingus Moanin'. In that song there are different sax styles/artists. All I know is that I liked the sax more with the ESW11 pads. When I switched back to stock pads on the ES10, initially I was not sure about the difference. Usually I hate the ES10 pads, because I have to fiddle around for a few minutes and that is where I found the difference. It is like a_recording said. Those few mm more space between the driver and the ear make the difference. The sax sounds better.

1. the ES10 look more fine with leather pads (the stock look cheap)
  2. they feel better
  3. no fiddeling around, (at least on my small ears) they fit

If you look exactly, you can see that the cloth that separates the driver from the ear is different.

Furthermore if you want to discuss differences between the driver of the ES10 and the ESW11 here you have some photos:

ESW11LTD driver:

ES10 driver:

The difference I see here => the ESW11LTD is darker around the center area

=> the white felt-like material that covers the venting openings looks thicker on the ESW11LTD. It also could be that on the ES10 they used more glue and so they soaked the felt with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back