Audio Technica ATH- ES 10 Impressions Thread
Jun 1, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #466 of 1,113
Jun 1, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #467 of 1,113
I should have bought from that seller "japan-excite", I received a message from "ace_of_bicycle" he received my payment but is out of stock, I'm now waiting for a refund.

Jun 2, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #468 of 1,113
Jun 2, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #469 of 1,113
Ooh, I wouldn't go that far. The Momentum is very good and I would really hesitate to say that the ES10 was in any way better. They are both incredible technical performers. The ES10 is more dynamic but the Momentum is incredibly solid and it's imaging still seems more cohesive than the ES10's. It's also a great deal more transparent than the ES10 to my ears. The Momentum is also in many ways the better designed headphone in terms of comfort and build.

I agree to disagree.
I Don't care at all about the build quality as they are both good enough.
That obscures the issue of sound.
I plugged the momentum direct into my Galaxy Note 2 phone.
So it was un amped.
I compared it diectly to an es700.
The es700 was louder and larger sounding.
The momentum was more distant wich by itself means more neutral,
But it was not only much lower in volume but smaller in sound.
I would say it as good as a sony 1r and above a m80.
The es700 was bigger and keep in mind my es10 I sold with new drivers and recabled was even larger sonic impression.
There is no way the momentum could be close to being on par to the es10 ..
To my ears, so again, I agree to disagree and I am glad you find them as an equally good alternative because I did like their sound over the m80 and amperior...

Jun 5, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #472 of 1,113
The es10 I had came with a case ..
But I not sure about new.

Jun 5, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #473 of 1,113
Received my "new" ES10's yesterday from SonicElectronix, with significant visible scuffs/marks, which were clearly visible through the front of the as of yet unopened packaging. Had me questioning whether or not they were a refurbished set, marked and sold as new. In any case, they're now being RMA'd for another "new" replacement, except this time I'm told the mistake on their end won't recur. Here's to hoping...

Jun 5, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #474 of 1,113
Quote:
Just ordered a pair. What case does everyone use to protect the headphones?

Why the sudden interest in ES10? They've been good since day one and that is several years ago. 

I don't protect them. My ESW11LTD, I treat with baby gloves (and should still be in perfect shape... haha) but the metal on the ES10 I know will scratch no matter what so I just enjoy them. I don't try to keep them looking 100%. Not possible. That, and I made certain modifications.

Jun 5, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #475 of 1,113
Quote:
Why the sudden interest in ES10? They've been good since day one and that is several years ago. 

I don't protect them. My ESW11LTD, I treat with baby gloves (and should still be in perfect shape... haha) but the metal on the ES10 I know will scratch no matter what so I just enjoy them. I don't try to keep them looking 100%. Not possible. That, and I made certain modifications.

Part of the sudden interest comes from a recent sale price for the ES10 from a US seller, as well as the weak yen making everyone catch the tenso bug.

The price has dropped to a level where it can be compared against headphones like the Sennheiser Momentum, which is what made me curious enough to snap one up. (Glad I did, because my Momentum and 1R will pretty soon go up for sale once I've done my review...)

Jun 5, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #477 of 1,113
The ES10 is the only fashion and tech savvy portable headphone, that's why.  All it's missing is PR / advertising.  The Beats are still "better" as far as social status is concerned.

Jun 5, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #478 of 1,113
Quote:
The ES10 is the only fashion and tech savvy portable headphone, that's why.  All it's missing is PR / advertising.  The Beats are still "better" as far as social status is concerned.

Actually, I would list the following headphones as good sounding and fashion forward:

Audio Technica ES7 / ES700 / ES88, Sennheiser Momentum (though some people seem to hate the look), Sony MDR-1R, Skullcandy Aviator / Mix Master (in Matte black at least), Beats Mixr, Logitech UE6000.

The Monster Inspiration doesn't sound bad either, but I only had a brief listen. Perhaps those new Harmon Kardon units are good (I haven't really had a good listen) and the new B&O H6?

The ES10 does pull off the combo of flashy looks and flashy sound with pizzaz though. Of all the options I've listed I also like the sound the most so far.

Jun 5, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #479 of 1,113
Quote:

I been using my cousin's pair for a while but she decided to take it back. Got addicted to the sound so decided to get my own pair instead of trying out every other headphone there is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back