Audio Technica ATH- ES 10 Impressions Thread
Mar 20, 2011 at 5:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,113

blitzraider

Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to show some support these wonderful portable headphones. I know these aren't common on head-fi but people who have tried them will know what I'm talking about.

In short, they're portable cans with full size cans sound.

It's amazing what these can do compared to larger size headphones. I also wanted to create this thread in order to unite fellow members who agree with me, or who are interested in getting one. Go ahead and ask related questions here

After recently getting trying these for some time I must say 4 things

1. They're price puts many people off, and it doesn't look like it has much to offer. But these are cans that you must really listen to believe
2. They look amazing but scratch easily, I mean VERY easily. (Anybody have ideas to remove scratches, I would really like input on this!!!!)
3. They need an amp to sound their best, and these are cans that I say will always benefit from one, unless your source is very good to begin with.
4. They don't have the typical ATH sound signature (compared to my full size ATH can), which was surprising for me

Here a photo of mine to start things off:

Mar 21, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #3 of 1,113
They do look impressive!  How about more impressions of the overall sound signature and some more pictures to fire up the base a bit?
wink_face.gif

Mar 21, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #4 of 1,113
Like mine, too.  A couple of impressions.  They are much more comfortable than ES7s - a nice padded headband and my ears actually fit within the pads (thanks to the larger drivers.)  I'm sure someone will ask how they compare to ES7s, but I can't answer that question since I passed my pair on to my son at college before receiving my ES10s  Agree that these need an amp to shine, otherwise you'll be left wondering what all the hoopla was about since they sound pedestian if unamped.  I use mine at work (now an official member of the high priced audio gear at work club) with a Go-Vibe 7 amp and either a 2G Nano or 6G Shuffle. Not particularly impressed at low volumes, but things certainly rock as the volume goes up.  I bought these for the bass to listen to electronica and the numerous variations thereof and feel they deliver.  The mids and highs are there (no sibilance) and are relatively balanced vis-q-vis with the bass.  I don't find them fatiguing to wear at all, whether due to fit issues or the sound (unlike with my ATH-AD900 where the emphasized mids and highs get to me after about an hour).  Small, unobtrusive (roughly 4' cable), and comfortable, they fill a niche for me.  Are they worth $400?  IMHO, not as your primary can and not without an amp.  Let me post a disclaimer here that I've been on a buying binge the last few months and will admit that my impressions are based on casual use at work and in competition with other headphones.  Loving my KH-K1000 right now. 
smily_headphones1.gif

The thread title should be revised form ATH-ES-10 to ATH-ES10 to allow folks to find this thread using Google or the search function.

blitzraider, I see that you also have a A900ti.  How do they compare with the ES10?

Mar 21, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #5 of 1,113
Ok title changed, thanks for the tip.

I did a quick A/B testing but not extensive enough to say anything solid about the A900ti vs the ES 10. I'll say though that you can instantly tell the pseudo full can size sound the ES 10 tries to create. More on that later.

Another photo I found from a site to help the thread. The page is pretty cool (but in Japanese). The guy dismantled the ES 10.

http://mttk810.blog101.fc2.com/blog-category-44.html

Mar 22, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #6 of 1,113
I paid for a pair of these a week ago but will not be able to listen to them until the end of April when I am going home. I will see how they compare to ESW9s that I had in the past and my current gear.

I wonder how they respond to amping too.

Mar 22, 2011 at 8:49 AM Post #7 of 1,113
I like to think of my ES10 as a miniature/portable version of the Pro900. It has nices highs and mids and very nice punchy bass.

It does have a smallish soundstage and average isolation though.

Mar 22, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #8 of 1,113
I'd be interested in hearing more about the A900Ti vs ES10. Despite the fact that they were lacking a bit in resolution compared to the woodies I really enjoyed the Ti's when I had them, their tonal balance was the most similar to the L3000 out of any AT I've heard though they do not have the L3K's rich mids. AT + titanium cups generally seems to be a winning combination, as I quite liked the A100Ti as well.

Mar 22, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #9 of 1,113
As I'm listening to the ES-10. I'm feeling less of the ATH sound signature, and more of some other brand. The bass is awesome on the RnB Hiphop tracks. More update over the week.

Apr 21, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #11 of 1,113
Guys, need advice.
Just ordered a pair of ES-10 s and now have a hard time picking out a suitable portable amp/dac. The candidate list is: TTVJ slim, RSA Predator, iBasso D12, Leckerton Audio UHA-6S.
Any thoughts/experience with either of these would be appreciated.

Jun 15, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #12 of 1,113
Is there a lot of difference between the Pro 900 and the ES10? I currently own the ES7 and I really like the sound.

I was looking for a pair of cans to use while travelling (trains, planes...) and at work, and I was thinking in getting the Pro 900 (mainly because I find the ES7 uncomfortable after a couple of hours - I use glasses), and keeping the ES7 as my portable cans. But after reading about the ES10, maybe I'll just upgrade to the ES10, and use it as my portable / travel / work headphones.

Considering that the price is basically the same, you think it's a good idea or is it better to get the Pro 900? I will get an amp for that (prolly the Headstage Arrow) and I listen to lots of different music styles, but most of the time is drum and bass.

Thanks!

Quote:
I like to think of my ES10 as a miniature/portable version of the Pro900. It has nices highs and mids and very nice punchy bass.

It does have a smallish soundstage and average isolation though.

Jun 15, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #13 of 1,113

I'd probably choose the ES10 for portable use, but either is a fine choice for drum & bass (I'm a big DnB head) and both work great out of my Headstage Arrow. I'm not too good at comparing headphones and describing what I hear, but I'd say the Pro900 is probably the technically superior headphone with a bigger soundstage and better detail. The ES10 however, has a very fun sound signature that is more forgiving.

I wear glasses mostly, but I think I'd be annoyed wearing them with any headphone for an extended period of time! I need to save up for some laser eye surgery.

Quote:
Is there a lot of difference between the Pro 900 and the ES10? I currently own the ES7 and I really like the sound.

I was looking for a pair of cans to use while travelling (trains, planes...) and at work, and I was thinking in getting the Pro 900 (mainly because I find the ES7 uncomfortable after a couple of hours - I use glasses), and keeping the ES7 as my portable cans. But after reading about the ES10, maybe I'll just upgrade to the ES10, and use it as my portable / travel / work headphones.

Considering that the price is basically the same, you think it's a good idea or is it better to get the Pro 900? I will get an amp for that (prolly the Headstage Arrow) and I listen to lots of different music styles, but most of the time is drum and bass.

Thanks!

Aug 15, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #14 of 1,113
Just got a pair in today and wow, bass is really prominent. I'll have to bring my DT1350 home from work to do some comparisons. Much more comfy than the DT1350 that's for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back