Audio Technica ATH- ES 10 Impressions Thread
May 27, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #451 of 1,113
Quote:

I don't mean to go too far off topic here, but IMO the A2000X sounds very similar in tonality to the ES10's. I suspect the A2000X and the ES10 shares very similar drivers, if not the same.

Yeah, I think someone said earlier in this thread the ES10 is a mix of the A2000X and an Ultrasone or something?  That's what peaked my interest in them.

May 28, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #452 of 1,113
I think that was kiteki

May 28, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #454 of 1,113
Gosh I'm having so much fun with the ES10.

It's a shame that while the Momentum (which I also love) is so popular the ES10 is overlooked....

It is not widely known but the Momentum is not in the same league as an es10 or even an es700 (my own actuall observation),
And also the esw9 trounces it easily.
The momentum is better than their 25 or amperior being sweeter & more natural, but still a lightweight..
Here is a review comparing the esw9 superiority over the momentum:
Here

I would place the momentum on a lower level of the vmoda m80 or Sony 1r ..

May 28, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #455 of 1,113
Quote:
It is not widely known but the Momentum is not in the same league as an es10 or even an es700 (my own actuall observation),
And also the esw9 trounces it easily.
The momentum is better than their 25 or amperior being sweeter & more natural, but still a lightweight..
Here is a review comparing the esw9 superiority over the momentum:
Here

I would place the momentum on a lower level of the vmoda m80 or Sony 1r ..

Ooh, I wouldn't go that far. The Momentum is very good and I would really hesitate to say that the ES10 was in any way better. They are both incredible technical performers. The ES10 is more dynamic but the Momentum is incredibly solid and it's imaging still seems more cohesive than the ES10's. It's also a great deal more transparent than the ES10 to my ears. The Momentum is also in many ways the better designed headphone in terms of comfort and build.

May 28, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #456 of 1,113
Agree with the above. While I prefer the sound of the ES10, the momentum is built far far better in every conceivable way. AT went shyte with the build of an expensive headphone. ES10 isn't weak, but for its purported use as a portable phone, it could be much better.

May 28, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #457 of 1,113
The build is a mixed bag for sure. The titanium earcups are gorgeous premium materials but the earpads and headband pleather is pretty yuck for such an expensive model. The headband adjustment mechanism looks a little delicate. The cables aren't very good (the split cable actually reminds me of much cheaper headphones like the Koss Porta Pro).

The ES88 is actually a lot more consistent. What I don't understand is why they don't release a revision of the ES10 to take care of the existing issues. They could add a detachable single entry cable and an iPhone remote and actually come to play with the rest of the market.

May 28, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #458 of 1,113
The cable is actually very strong though very thin. I dig it. My pair has been seriously thrashed about in the two years or so I've had them (maybe 2,5 years). I've yanked the cable accidentally with the force of a hoover tug with the phone flying across the room. I was sure I broke something. Nothing broke, but, if something was to break, it would be the yokes. The Momentum would survive a veritable BBQ-grade holocaust.

May 28, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #459 of 1,113
Did anyone else pick up the SonicElectronix deal, by any chance? Mine are officially headed my way. I'm not a fan of on-ears, as I've always found them most uncomfortable. All the while, I'm hoping that the ES10's seemingly larger than average earpads can convince me otherwise.

May 28, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #460 of 1,113
Quote:
The build is a mixed bag for sure. The titanium earcups are gorgeous premium materials but the earpads and headband pleather is pretty yuck for such an expensive model. The headband adjustment mechanism looks a little delicate. The cables aren't very good (the split cable actually reminds me of much cheaper headphones like the Koss Porta Pro).

The ES88 is actually a lot more consistent. What I don't understand is why they don't release a revision of the ES10 to take care of the existing issues. They could add a detachable single entry cable and an iPhone remote and actually come to play with the rest of the market.

Yes, the ES88 is like a tank, but the ES10 is pretty strong too, and such quality is just enough for many people.
Quote:
Wonder when AT will release a new ES100 or ES10X or something :D

I have the same problem. Have no idea what I should do. My ATH-ES10 has been scratched and I don't know if I should buy new ATH-ES10 and wait for a long time or I just should wait until November when something new will be released (ES11? ES12? ESW12? ES13? ESW13? ES20? ESW20? ES100? ES1000? ES10X?).

May 29, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #461 of 1,113
Quote:
Yes, the ES88 is like a tank, but the ES10 is pretty strong too, and such quality is just enough for many people.

I have the same problem. Have no idea what I should do. My ATH-ES10 has been scratched and I don't know if I should buy new ATH-ES10 and wait for a long time or I just should wait until November when something new will be released (ES11? ES12? ESW12? ES13? ESW13? ES20? ESW20? ES100? ES1000? ES10X?).

Wait for the next one.

May 31, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #463 of 1,113
Got the ESW11 pads for the ES10! They are definitely more comfortable, though the clamp is still quite tight. Now it just feels 'super-secure' rather than 'vice-like'.

The ESW11 pads I think decrease the bass a little and make the sound a little warmer / more balanced, though I'll have to do some more careful A/Bing...

Jun 1, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #464 of 1,113
Cool, I picked up a pair too, from seller Ace of Bicycle

Jun 1, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #465 of 1,113
Quote:
Got the ESW11 pads for the ES10! They are definitely more comfortable, though the clamp is still quite tight. Now it just feels 'super-secure' rather than 'vice-like'.

The ESW11 pads I think decrease the bass a little and make the sound a little warmer / more balanced, though I'll have to do some more careful A/Bing...

Where did you get the pads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back