Audio Technica ATH- ES 10 Impressions Thread
May 22, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #421 of 1,113
Gosh I'm having so much fun with the ES10.

It's a shame that while the Momentum (which I also love) is so popular the ES10 is overlooked. I would mostly put this down to AT's poor international retail channel strategies and a strong Yen.

I don't even usually enjoy V-shaped sounds. This is pretty fantastic. I am looking forward to getting my ESW11 pads!

May 22, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #422 of 1,113
To my ears ES10 bass became a lot more tighter right after the 200 hour margin. I always enjoy ES10 whenever I use them. Please keep us posted on the ESW11 pads.

May 22, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #423 of 1,113
Quote:
To my ears ES10 bass became a lot more tighter right after the 200 hour margin. I always enjoy ES10 whenever I use them. Please keep us posted on the ESW11 pads.

I feel like the bass has gotten lighter but I think this is because the clamping pressure has decreased a little on my pair lol. This is a good thing though. Still has spades and spades of bass.

Once I get the ESW11 pads I'll be sure to give a report and eventually a review vs the ES88 and Momentum...

May 22, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #424 of 1,113
I can guarantee you the change will be more than noticeable, I do not know what the cause of it is but but to my ears it was very audible. Non of my gears make the cello sound as good as ES10, EX-1000 comes close but ES10 just has the right body and space impression, to me it is just spot on.
Considering you have the EX-1000 it would be a fun experiment for you.

May 22, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #425 of 1,113
Quote:
I don't even usually enjoy V-shaped sounds. This is pretty fantastic. I am looking forward to getting my ESW11 pads!

It's funny. I kept getting the V-shaped comment at the SF Bay Area meet, but... the ES10 isn't V-shaped at all. If you look at the frequency response graph for it, midrange dominates the spectrum.

May 22, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #426 of 1,113
Based on what I can remember at the beginning of its life ES10 bass gave the impression that it is a v shapes sound as it really dominated the mid-range but right now the bass and the mid-range is what ES10 stand out the most. I dont use the ES10 for its treble performance, I really have no positive/negative comment on its treble performance. 

May 22, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #427 of 1,113
Yeah... I have had the ES10 for so long now that I can't remember how it sounded like at the very beginning anymore.

But I know it's still my favorite portable headphone. And thanks to its speed and low treble de-emphasis, I can listen to bad quality recordings (with treble spikes) without any problem at all.

I have the W1000X for critical listening at home (it has more of a treble emphasis than the ES10), but when I'm out and about, ES10 it is.

May 22, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #428 of 1,113
I like to use the ES10 when I am going out on cold day setting in a park, it is not really suited for busy cafe shop. All I know when I like to listen to music without getting distracted I always use ES10, I am really glade that I bought it despite all the lukewarm review I read about the fit and sound. 
I just hope that I get to read some positive feedback about ESW11 pads, I wish I had the cash to experiment .

May 26, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #429 of 1,113
I have to say so far to my ears no other company beats Audio Technica for best portable in this es10 and similar sounding es700 and then ws99 for a thicker heavyer sound and esw9 for overall musical sound these are tops no matter what new cans come and go these are the "portable" keepers..
:)

May 26, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #430 of 1,113
Fellas, for those (like me) who in the past have contemplated buying the ES10, now is THE BEST opportunity:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_70201_Audio-Technica-ATH-ES10-Professional-On-Over-Headphones.html

Sale ends tomorrow. Add an optional 3 year extended squaretrade warranty for $32.99. You may even be prompted with a 5% coupon code, but I've had it suddenly and unexpectedly expire on me before. I'm still conducting my research (which is what brought me to this thread), and if I'm convinced, I'll place my order by tonight.

May 26, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #432 of 1,113
I'm still working on my review but for anyone who is thinking about the above $299 deal, I do think the ES10 is on a similar tier to the Sennheiser Momentum and better than the MDR-1R in terms of technical performance. All three headphones of course have quite different signatures but the ES10 is fast, clean and tight. It still isn't as clean as the Momentum but does everything with a lot of energy and excitement.

It is one of the most V-shaped headphones I have ever heard (probably THE MOST V-shaped) but is still smooth in the highs. It is bassier than the Momentum.

As an on-ear headphone it probably is top tier - though I don't have much to compare with on hand at the moment.

The design actually seems somewhat dated by current portable headphone standards. It is durable but things like the double entry cable and the somewhat delicate looking headband adjustment mechanism seem a little dated. The titanium earcups seem very very solid.

I find it fairly uncomfortable out of the box and I'm still waiting on the ESW11 pads which hopefully will improve things. At the moment I can't listen to the ES10 for longer than 1-2 hours before my ears begin to get sore from the clamping pressure on parts of my ear.

In regards to the price I would think that the normal Amazon JP price will be similar or less than the 299 sale price considering the weak Yen, but then I suppose people in the US get warranty with the above deal!

May 26, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #434 of 1,113
Quote:

Perhaps you can compare it to your AD900X for us?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back