Audio Technica ATH- ES 10 Impressions Thread
Jun 11, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #511 of 1,113
Quote:
If you normalize Doctor Head's graph of the LCD-2 to Tyll's graph and then do the same to the ES10, it still turns out that the ES10 has a lot more midrange than anything else. And by midrange, I mean the region between 500Hz and 5KHz.

Easy way to check: play something with vocals on, and with some bass and treble, and see if bass and treble are still dominating the range. I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised. The Beyer and Denon headphones are V-shaped because their vocals (midrange between 500Hz and 5KHz) are obviously less loud compared to bass and treble. Look up their graphs and you'll see that as well.

I'm not too sure what you are driving at. Over the past few weeks with the ES10 I have been listening with different types of music. It's not as if I have not been listening to a-capella tracks. I've come to the conclusion to my ears that some part of the vocals is a little scooped. It's not as if I've decided "these are V-shaped" and then that somehow changes the way I hear them. I don't think it's inaccurate to say that that the ES10 is not a balanced can and that the most prominent aspects are the bass and the treble shimmer.

Maybe I am using the phrase V-shaped inappropriately but to me that seems to be the best description, because the bass and treble are what stand out to me most, and I cannot increase the volume on the ES10 before the upper vocal shimmer begins to get too much for me.

You make it sound like V-shaped is a dirty word or something. I really like the ES10 and (I think) you do too, so let's leave it at that :)

Jun 11, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #512 of 1,113
When I owned the ES10 those were my impressions as well (slightly U-shaped). I could tell by listening to some Norah Jones as well as many other genres. This was all with the stock pads.

Just my 2 cents. We all have different ears and have different references. To me in order for the mids to be in line with bass on these, they'd have to be a bit more forward to balance out. I'd say the mids are a bit neutral in comparison with the bass and its power.

Jun 15, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #513 of 1,113
Quote:

Actually, I would list the following headphones as good sounding and fashion forward:

Audio Technica ES7 / ES700 / ES88, Sennheiser Momentum (though some people seem to hate the look), Sony MDR-1R, Skullcandy Aviator / Mix Master (in Matte black at least), Beats Mixr, Logitech UE6000.

The Monster Inspiration doesn't sound bad either, but I only had a brief listen. Perhaps those new Harmon Kardon units are good (I haven't really had a good listen) and the new B&O H6?

The ES10 does pull off the combo of flashy looks and flashy sound with pizzaz though. Of all the options I've listed I also like the sound the most so far.

Thank you for the info.

I think apart from the very nice fashion statements of the Aviator and some WESC models, no plastic-shelled portable headphones are popular in fashion.

If I assert very few expensive pens, watches, wallets, belts, caps, keychains etc. are made of plastic, that seems to be true.

For the sake of narrowing down, if we rule out all plastic headphones, let's see what there is.  A nice line of Audio Technica models, Beyerdynamic T50p, Bowers & Wilkins P5, Ultrasone Edition 8, Sony Z1000.  Any more?

Any thoughts on the Z1000 versus the ES10?

Quote:

You make it sound like V-shaped is a dirty word or something. I really like the ES10 and (I think) you do too, so let's leave it at that :)

I think the initial tip of the "V" in the bass sector is there, the bass sector is not quite flat and neutral, we can all hear that.

The complex nulls and peaks in the mids to the highs seem to be causing dispute if it's V-shaped or not.  Since "mids = vocals" and the vocals are not distant or faint, perhaps some feel the need to underline it's not V-shaped sounding i.e. "without vocals".

Jun 15, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #514 of 1,113
Quote:

For the sake of narrowing down, if we rule out all plastic headphones, let's see what there is.  A nice line of Audio Technica models, Beyerdynamic T50p, Bowers & Wilkins P5, Ultrasone Edition 8, Sony Z1000.  Any more?

Actually I think the P5 is plastic cupped as well, just with some metal finishing. Same with the new B&O H6. I believe the MDR 1RNC might be metal cupped?

Quote:
Any thoughts on the Z1000 versus the ES10?

Yes. The ES10 is much better.

Nah, to go into detail, the ES10 sounds cleaner and the bass is far far tighter.

Quote:
I think the initial tip of the "V" in the bass sector is there, the bass sector is not quite flat and neutral, we can all hear that.

The complex nulls and peaks in the mids to the highs seem to be causing dispute if it's V-shaped or not.  Since "mids = vocals" and the vocals are not distant or faint, perhaps some feel the need to underline it's not V-shaped sounding i.e. "without vocals".

That's a reasonable idea and I think it might explain things :)

Jun 18, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #516 of 1,113
Listening to my new Audio Technica ATH-CKS1000 today, I think ES10 lovers may like to know about this IEM.

When I drastically EQ down 40Hz-160Hz 10dB I think it's a contender for the best dynamic driver IEM I've ever heard, in a sense it seems above Sony EX1000, Vsonic, Hifiman.

Jun 18, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #517 of 1,113
Quote:
Listening to my new Audio Technica ATH-CKS1000 today, I think ES10 lovers may like to know about this IEM.

When I drastically EQ down 40Hz-160Hz 10dB I think it's a contender for the best dynamic driver IEM I've ever heard, in a sense it seems above Sony EX1000, Vsonic, Hifiman.

That is bassphemy! 
size]

Seriously, I guess I'm a bit of a bass-head, because I love the bass as is. Actually, that's with the Vsonic double flanged tips, which I think do actually reduce the bass a bit. So, you may be right on the mark. But yes, the 1k's are awesome.

Jun 20, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #518 of 1,113

i finally sourced a used pair! (Well actually Anakchan found them for me-Thanks).

Listening now with the stock pads, after a short listening spell I am going to change to the
ATH-ESW11 leather pads I pre-purchased - see If there is much difference.

The ATH-ESW11 pads seem to really tighten up the bass.
I do miss the pair of ATH-ESW11 I had on loan earlier, these are a bit more airy, I think I like a bit of dark and murk in my sound.
The phones themselves do sound great. They look like brand new so it will be interesting to see how they open up over time.

Jun 23, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #522 of 1,113
Went to a local headphone shop yesterday and briefly compared the ES10 with WS99 and CKS1000.

WS99 vs ES10: WS99 sounds quite warm. ES10 sounds quicker with nicer reverb and decay .WS99 slightly more emphasis on lower bass, making it sound slightly deeper. ES10's bass a touch more punchy (even for sub bass). ES10's bass is slightly more controlled and tight. Instrument separation and clarity is alot better on ES10. WS99 is not my cup of tea, the mids and highs are really messed up compared to the ES10. The WS99 gives me the impression of all bass and nothing else.

CKS1000 vs ES10: May not be a very fair comparison (IEM vs Headphone). Have yet to try AT's top end IEMs yet. Very nice and tight bass. Didn't try for long as I didn't like the timbre of the instruments.

Totally disappointed with both the WS99 and CKS1000, but both really have the bass quantity and somewhat bass quality to be in the "SOLID BASS" series.

What I can say is that the ES10 is definitely in a league above the other headphone and IEM, in terms of price too. :X

Still remaining an ES10 fan after the short audition :D hehe :D
I'm really starting to appreciate the ES10 after comparing it with many other headphones. (even full sized ones)

Next step: Get a AD2000X/A2000X and find a chance to try AT's top end IEMs :D

Jun 25, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #525 of 1,113
Quote:
Inquiring Martin's Custom Audio for possible wooden ear cups for the ES10.

Example of his work:

Please stay tuned and enjoy the show. 
popcorn.gif

Oooh. It would be interesting to see how the result would compare to the ESW11...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back